• 17(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
(2015-04-16, 13:51)looun Wrote: PCM VS HD audio passthrough it's not equal, try this and hear the difference from back surround channel on 5.1 layout:

The DTS-HD PCM is bit-perfect, however if your amp can't handle 7.1 PCM then you need the source to downmix to 5.1 by configuring 5.1 channels in Kodi audio settings. Or buy a better amp.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-04-16, 14:28)hdmkv Wrote: I have a 7.1, but if you have a 5.1 set-up, won't your receiver map 7.1 correctly to 5.1 (whether it's 7.1 PCM or TrueHD or DTA-MA)?

Edit: I was Googl-ing the issue you mention, and found this. Maybe it's AVR dependent if you have a 5.1 setup?

i am no sure al 100% how it work, i don't found documentation o review.
But DTS-HD 7.1 it's not true 7 chanel PCM. It's 5 chanel PCM + 2 matrix chanel ( typically the Back Surround Channel is actually Matrix Surround composited from the left surround and right surround channels) so ..

if you decode DTS-HD 7.1 in 7.1 PCM to av receiver:
- if you have 7.1 layout you hear 7 channel .
- if you have 5.1 layout you hear only 5 chanel.

if you passthrough DTS-HD 7.1 to AV receiver (without upmix like DSX /neo/prologic):
- if you have 7.1 layout you hear 7 channel .
- if you have 5.1 layout you hear 5 chanel + 2 Back Surround virtual speaker ( half sound came fron left Surround and half sound came from rigth Surround ).

try downgrade you setup to 5.1 and than test check speaker file, with my onkyo work, it's not true 7.1 but sound it very well.it's very hard to explain

i know that there few film with 7.1 and you don't loss Back Surround with your setup, but i think must to be know the difference.

i have 5.0 + 2 Front Hight (LH/RH), i know strange setup but it's very nice.
i discovered with DTS-HD 7.1:
if set DSX or neo:x i can hear 5 chanel + Front Hight but i loss Back Surround virtual speaker
if set DTS-HD i can hear 5 chanel + 2 Back Surround virtual speaker
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
Is 3D Frame Packed supported on Windows?

I just downloaded & Tested with Isengard Alpha 2, though i can't get it to work.

I can't be bothered with Stereoscopic player (Subtitles are a real pain) so i'd appreciate if this got implemented.
It is, but you need to set-up PowerDVD or TotalMedia Theatre as your external player. For Kodi 15, which leverages the hardware MVC decoder, is for Raspberry Pi only at this point I think.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-04-17, 21:01)hdmkv Wrote: It is, but you need to set-up PowerDVD or TotalMedia Theatre as your external player. For Kodi 15, which leverages the hardware MVC decoder, is for Raspberry Pi only at this point I think.

Those two can't handle External Subtitles, nor can they handle Frame Packed MKV 3D(only ISO), only Stereoscopic player can handle MKV 3D and external subs but is a real pain in the ass since you gotta add subs manually / takes time to setup a movie. It uses ffdshow subtitles which need to be changed everytime you play a new movie.

If i add StereoScopic player as external player can Kodi then handle the subtitles?

My current setup is : Xbmc with MPC-HC with MadVR + Jinc3+AR as external player.

3D MVC : StereoScopic Player with LAV filters.

Using I3 4360/HD 4600.
(2015-04-17, 20:56)XTrojan Wrote: Is 3D Frame Packed supported on Windows?
MVC decode is not supported within Kodi on any platform other than Raspberry Pi AIUI. External players are needed on other platforms.

Frame Packed is a different question - that's an output format rather than a file format. Important to distinguish between the two.

3D Blu-ray content is encoded in MVC. Most 3D Blu-ray players will output in Frame Packed 3D - but there are other output formats that can be used on PCs.
(2015-04-17, 22:18)noggin Wrote:
(2015-04-17, 20:56)XTrojan Wrote: Is 3D Frame Packed supported on Windows?
MVC decode is not supported within Kodi on any platform other than Raspberry Pi AIUI. External players are needed on other platforms.

Frame Packed is a different question - that's an output format rather than a file format. Important to distinguish between the two.

3D Blu-ray content is encoded in MVC. Most 3D Blu-ray players will output in Frame Packed 3D - but there are other output formats that can be used on PCs.

MVC format is frame packed or well (MPEG-4 two streams), what i want to do is to use external subs along with 3D MVC, the only player that does this is StereoScopic player but the subtitle setup is a pain in the ass :/.
Mvc format is not frame packed. Mvc is a codec for storing 3d video in a computer file. Frame packed is an output format ie the way the player, after it has decoded mvc to two real frames, sends those frames over HDMI to the tv/projector.

Of course they usually go together, so are often confused. But you could equally decode mvc then send it non frame packed, like frame sequential, side by side or anaglyph.

And no, you cannot use an external player to play video and kodi to do the subtitles.

Your best bet for 3d using kodi at present is:

Anything other than rpi: sbs or tab encoded files.

Rpi: mvc in mkv container.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-04-18, 00:21)nickr Wrote: Mvc format is not frame packed. Mvc is a codec for storing 3d video in a computer file. Frame packed is an output format ie the way the player, after it has decoded mvc to two real frames, sends those frames over HDMI to the tv/projector.

Of course they usually go together, so are often confused. But you could equally decode mvc then send it non frame packed, like frame sequential, side by side or anaglyph.

And no, you cannot use an external player to play video and kodi to do the subtitles.

Your best bet for 3d using kodi at present is:

Anything other than rpi: sbs or tab encoded files.

Rpi: mvc in mkv container.

Well that sucks :/, the only player that lets you play "Modifyable" MVC 3D is Stereoscopic player, the GUI/Interface is sadly really bad :/.

TMT/PDVD only plays ISO's / BDMV folder structure and they can't be modified unless you want to transcode twice to get a subtitle which might not sync at all.

Still hoping for 3D MVC support in the future for Windows, MadVR as well if that'd be possible.
Get an rpi2, even if only for your 3d stuff. Cheap. Effective. You might even end up using it for everything.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-04-18, 01:18)nickr Wrote: Get an rpi2, even if only for your 3d stuff. Cheap. Effective. You might even end up using it for everything.

Rp2 quality isn't on tier of MadVR unfortunately, i also get Windows Licenses free hence why i use Windows instead of Rp2.

Regarding Rp2 though does it support all Audio formats and what decoders does it use, i know the front page states it doesn't have support for TrueHD but idk if it's up to date. If RP2 uses bilinear i'm prob staying off since there's a major difference of Jinc3 vs Bilinear that XMBC uses.
(2015-04-18, 01:37)XTrojan Wrote: Regarding Rp2 though does it support all Audio formats and what decoders does it use, i know the front page states it doesn't have support for TrueHD but idk if it's up to date. If RP2 uses bilinear i'm prob staying off since there's a major difference of Jinc3 vs Bilinear that XMBC uses.

The Raspberry Pi 2 won't bitstream Dolby True HD or DTS HD MA/HRA. However now that there are open source decoders for both the main HD Audio formats the Pi 2 WILL decode Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA losslessly to PCM for 48kHz and 96kHz soundtracks, though it can't do 192kHz tracks losslessly above a 4.0 channel layout. DTS HD decode is recent, Dolby True HD has been around for a while.
(2015-04-18, 01:37)XTrojan Wrote: If RP2 uses bilinear i'm prob staying off since there's a major difference of Jinc3 vs Bilinear that XMBC uses.

Pi has high quality scaling. We're currently using Mitchell Netravali cubic scaling.
(2015-04-18, 15:17)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-04-18, 01:37)XTrojan Wrote: If RP2 uses bilinear i'm prob staying off since there's a major difference of Jinc3 vs Bilinear that XMBC uses.

Pi has high quality scaling. We're currently using Mitchell Netravali cubic scaling.

Hey popcornmix. I know it isn't by any means a priority but is there any news on how easy frame sequential may be?
Hi hdmkv, do you think it is still true that VidOn supports frame packed 3D, ISO or MKV? It is not my case unfortunately,

I would suggest removing from 1st post such ability to avoid more frustrated customers.
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17