Solved Kodibuntu 14.2 grainy low res images and video
Hey all,

My System Setup
  1. Intel Celeron 2820 NUC
  2. Harmony 515 remote
  3. Sony Bravia monitor and a NAD D3020 USB direct amp (both working perfectly with kodibuntu)

I have kodibuntu installed onto 3 separate USBs. 14.04, 14.10(dist-upgrade) and 15.04(do-release-upgrade) and they all experience the same degraded, low res, pixilated images and videos.

I have changed the bios graphics memory allocation to the max (512MB) which it shares from my 8GB ram and there has been no change.

I have also gone into the Software and Updates and "Additional Drivers" and selected the "Using Processor microcode firmware for Intel CPUs for intel-microcode (Proprietary)" item and rebooted.

Note: Image below is just one i found online and has the driver unselected but I have selected it in my setup.

If I can't solve this then I will just go back to TinyXP which I dont want to do just yet.
What is the media you are playing? Local, Network, or Online?

Can you post a debug log (wiki) while playing a video?
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Hey Irusak - thanks for the suggestion.

I think I missed out some details to help troubleshoot this. Firstly, this is at the OS level. What I mean by this is that even the images in the OS theme and inside of webpages in chromium are grainy. This doesnt seem to be specifically related to kodi but more the 'buntu' side of things.

To answer your questions, I am connected via 1GB LAN to a router(Gargoyle) and that is connected to a QNAP nas with a 1GB connection also. I can get logs tonight.
Have you ever tried to install Kodibuntu on a HDD/SSD?

And I won't use ubuntu 14.10 or 15.04 . I would take the installed distro and do only a "dist-upgrade" to Kodi 14.2. This will upgrade your distro to 14.04.2. Kodibuntu is shipped with a 14.04 LTS (Long term support) Ubuntu and you will get support for this until 2019. So there is no need to upgrade the distro to get issues solved.

Do you really need a desktop environment which Kodibuntu offers? If yes, why not installing it on a HDD? Costs?
What resolution are you running at? Open a terminal and type

xwininfo -root

or

xrandr
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Debug Log and nothing else is required. The rest is only wasting time.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-04-28, 13:53)fritsch Wrote: Debug Log and nothing else is required. The rest is only wasting time.

Ok, ill get one tonight.
Here is my debug log with the video playing for a few seconds.
Besides a whole lot of spamming (DB Scanner) - I see plain nothing.

Play a file from local disk, please.

Edit: Also make sure that Scaling is set to "Bilinear" - as BYT is too slow to upscale in decent quality.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-04-29, 19:02)fritsch Wrote: Besides a whole lot of spamming (DB Scanner) - I see plain nothing.

Play a file from local disk, please.

Edit: Also make sure that Scaling is set to "Bilinear" - as BYT is too slow to upscale in decent quality.

Hi fritsch, thanks for sticking by this thread to help.

My ubuntu had an update, and as I was on 15.04 I figured it was a security update, also kodi had one. I ran it. It updated to kodi v15. Now the video looks perfect.

(2015-04-29, 19:02)fritsch Wrote: Besides a whole lot of spamming (DB Scanner) - I see plain nothing.
My DB scanner also times out alot...however there are tons of threads about it so I will read them first as they probably have the answer.

(2015-04-29, 19:02)fritsch Wrote: Edit: Also make sure that Scaling is set to "Bilinear" - as BYT is too slow to upscale in decent quality.

I couldnt find this in 14.2 or kodi 15. I also searched and cant find it and I looked through all the settings in expert mode. I must be blind....
Look at the video OSD
Settings > Video > Playback/Acceleration: There is no OSD
Settings > System > Video Output: There is no OSD

Sorry if im missing something.
Play a video and bring up the OSD
Brilliant- That looks nicer also.

Thanks everyone. Thread solved!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodibuntu 14.2 grainy low res images and video0