Linux Brand Newbie to KodiBuntu
Hi guys,

I used to run the ATV2 with my XBMC/KODI, but since Kodi15 won't be supported, I went out and got the ASUS Chromebox

I set it up first time for single boot, OpenELEC/Kodi, and that worked pretty good. I experimented yesterday with redoing it and having the single boot into KodiBuntu. Got it to install just fine, but I have a couple VERY basic questions.

1. Its boots into Kodi just great, but I can't figure out how to drop back to Ubuntu and use that for a while, then set back to boot directly into Kodi. I guess this is the most basic question about Linux.

2. Does the ASUS Chromebox have enough horsepower to run SABNZBD/SickBeard/CouchPotato? I have a NAS for storage, so the 16GB SDD on the Chromebox shouldn't be problem. And will those apps run concurrently with Kodi when system boots directly into Kodi?

3. PS3 remote works GREAT in the OpenELEC install, will it run the the KidiBuntu environment as well?

4. I searched but didn't find answers to the above questions, but please direct me to where I can find the answers. KodiBuntu WIKI? Another Website?

Thank you,
Michael

tl;dr
How to drop from Kodi to Ubuntu, the set it back to boot directly into Kodi. Can Chromebox run Kodi, SABNZBd, SickBeard, etc? PS3 Remote in KodiBuntu?
(2015-04-28, 22:54)Dynalmadman Wrote: 1. Its boots into Kodi just great, but I can't figure out how to drop back to Ubuntu and use that for a while, then set back to boot directly into Kodi. I guess this is the most basic question about Linux.

In the exit menu, choose quit, you will be back at the login screen. There you choose lubuntu instead of Kodi as a session, enter user/password and voilà.

To boot back straight to kodi, you need to exit your session again, and choose kodi as a session.
I wrote a wiki for that containing some screenshots about how to switch to Kodibuntu:

Kodibuntu (wiki), look at point no. 4....basic use....desktop mode

It's not "quit", it's "exit"

To the 2.: Just try Wink and report back, please

It seems, the PS3 contoller is hard to implement, as I can't find anything in the wiki about that, and the forum search offers mostly the XBOX 360 controller as a remote device. If you are looking for an alternative, I can recommend the Flirc dongle. It's a USB IR dongle which can be used with ANY remote in the house.

If you don't want to use a IR remote you can also use Yatse as an android remote app or the official XBMC remote app for IOS smartphones/tablets.

Greets
Using Kodibuntu with chromebox with ps3 remote essentially boils down to:

Install Kodibuntu (delete the swap partition creation, since it's not needed) , update the kernel to 3.18.4+, follow the wiki to setup the patched bluez-package to fully support the ps3 remote. That's pretty much it.

Better yet, use this version https://www.distroshare.com/distros/get/62/ as it already includes updated kernel and some other small fixes.
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Set_up_PS3_BD_Remote
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Oh...maybe I have to read more carefully....Big Grin

Dynalmadman:

If you are talking about the BD remote, then yes...follow nickrs´ link to the wiki. I thought, and it seems I misread, you were talking about the PS3 controller

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Brand Newbie to KodiBuntu0