• 18(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
(2015-05-04, 04:03)artou Wrote: Hi hdmkv, do you think it is still true that VidOn supports frame packed 3D, ISO or MKV? It is not my case unfortunately,

I would suggest removing from 1st post such ability to avoid more frustrated customers.

Of course we support BD 3D, ISO and MKV, why remove these features?
What's the problem did you have? Post them on our forum so that we can help you.
artou, VidOn does support 3D (frame-packed Blu-ray) ISO's. Just make sure you have SDK 1.2 and VidOn XBMC v1.0.0.0.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-05-04, 13:13)hdmkv Wrote: artou, VidOn does support 3D (frame-packed Blu-ray) ISO's. Just make sure you have SDK 1.2 and VidOn XBMC v1.0.0.0.

Blu-ray ISOs aren't frame packed. Frame packing is an HDMI output format (normally 1920x2205 at 24p - though there is a 720p variant).

I think you are asking if VidOn supports 3D MVC ISOs (which are H264 encoded for one eye, MVC difference encoded for the other eye) and generate two 1920x1080 (or 1280x720) eye feeds which then, ideally, should be output in 1080/24p or 720/50p or 60p frame packed format over HDMI (though frame sequential may also be an option for some displays)

MVC and Frame packing are not the same thing - though in most cases support for both technologies are required for full quality 3D playback and display.
Isn't frame-packing 2x 1080p (left and right eye) images stacked together on a Blu-ray disc (ISO) that the display then unpacks to give you the full 3D effect? To say it simply for artou, if you rip a 3D Blu-ray to ISO (via AnyDVD or DVDFab), VidOn will send the content in full 3D to your 3D display as any 3D-capable Blu-ray player would. But, if you use MakeMKV and rip to a full 3D MVC MKV, VidOn (and most other 3D media players) will render in 2D mode (exceptions are RPi w/Kodi 15 and Mede8er X3D w/o Kodi).
My HT
(2015-05-04, 13:40)hdmkv Wrote: Isn't frame-packing 2x 1080p (left and right eye) images stacked together on a Blu-ray disc (ISO) that the display then unpacks to give you the full 3D effect?

No.

With Blu-ray you have a 2D 1080p H264 stream - which 2D players will play as normal, accompanied by a second MVC stream. This MVC stream is a difference signal that, with the H264 1920x1080p 2D stream, allows a second 1080p stream for the other eye to be constructed. This is a lot more efficient (as there is huge redundancy between the two eye feeds) than encoding two separate eye streams separately, or together as a frame packed Top and Bottom format (which is kind of effectively what HDMI Frame Packed is - 1920x1080 on top of 1920x1080 with 45 lines of blanking in between).

The Blu-ray ISO (or MKV made from the ISO) with MVC isn't frame packed - it's MVC (Multi View Coding) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiview_Video_Coding

Once the MVC and H264 streams have been decoded to two eye feeds then these are output as Frame Packed over HDMI - usually. They could be output sequentially or full-resolution side-by-side though.

Frame Packing is an HDMI format NOT an on-disc format.
Thanks, unmolested, full resolution 3D is what we're after Smile, so I'll just refer to it as that (vs. half-rez SBS and T/B MKV's you find on the Web, or what DVDFab and other tools can re-encode to).
My HT
(2015-05-04, 16:47)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks, unmolested, full resolution 3D is what we're after Smile, so I'll just refer to it as that (vs. half-rez SBS and T/B MKV's you find on the Web, or what DVDFab and other tools can re-encode to).

If it's on a Blu-ray and full resolution - it's MVC encoded.

If it's output over HDMI to a regular 3D TV and it's full resolution - it's a frame packed connection.

So to play Blu-ray ISOs in full resolution on a regular 3D TV you need MVC decoding and Frame Packed output. (On a Pi you'll need to run the ISO through MakeMKV or similar and ensure the MVC stream is enabled alongside the 2D single-eye H264 stream in the MKV remux. MVC is disabled by default and the MKV defaults to just the 2D H264 stream)
Updated post #1 to reflect your suggestion. Plus, added that HiMedia Q5 now supports 23.976. Firmware v1.0.9 is required (not released to the public yet).
My HT
I think you can now also update the file for Open Hour

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...1685174283
Wow, I had all but given up on Open Hour... nice to see HD audio and stutter-free playback added. I'll update post #1 again. dreamy, what about the other items on my list: 23.976, Dolby ATMOS, forced subs, VC-1, etc.?
My HT
Thanks for all replies and free education here Big Grin

(2015-05-04, 09:56)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: Of course we support BD 3D, ISO and MKV, why remove these features?
What's the problem did you have? Post them on our forum so that we can help you.

Wolly, VidOn plays BD 3D ISO in my Pana plasma, but not in an Optoma HD33 projector. With same configs, NAS, cables, etc.. Dune HD Base 3D plays perfectly well. To be more specific: I get a blank screen in the projector. If I turn TV on at the same time the screen is still blank in the projector, but I get 3D image on the TV (sound is on though either case), tested with Avatar and Priest ISO BD´s.

I didn't post in VidOn forums just because I saw other posts there with similar issues and without solution yet, no hard feelings against VidOn but I think there are problems with 3D BD ISO playing.

(2015-05-04, 13:13)hdmkv Wrote: artou, VidOn does support 3D (frame-packed Blu-ray) ISO's. Just make sure you have SDK 1.2 and VidOn XBMC v1.0.0.0.

Thanks again hdmkv, I will test once more this week to check if I didn't mess something as I already have 3 different versions of VidOn XMBC installed, maybe even factory resetting and installing only XBMC v1.0.0.0, but I am not so optimistic, other versions simply don't play 3D while XBMC v1.0.0.0 is OK at least in the TV
@artou just get a raspberry pi and rip your 3D isos to mkv.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-05-05, 01:59)hdmkv Wrote: Wow, I had all but given up on Open Hour... nice to see HD audio and stutter-free playback added. I'll update post #1 again. dreamy, what about the other items on my list: 23.976, Dolby ATMOS, forced subs, VC-1, etc.?

Ok
You forgot to update the online OTA update that is available on the Open Hour
It would also be interesting to add lines to the maximum resolutions supported such as the 4K UHD 60fps with HDMI 2.0 and video files in 10-bit 4K HEVC ok with OHC
no atmos on open hour?
what about 3d iso?
(2015-05-05, 07:42)nickr Wrote: @artou just get a raspberry pi and rip your 3D isos to mkv.

Would suggest a Pi 2 rather than a Pi, as though both do 3D, the Pi 2 also has the CPU power for DTS HD and Dolby True HD lossless decode to PCM (well lossless for 48/96kHz 5.1/7.1 stuff, 192kHz is down sampled if more than 4.0)
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17