• 44(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
The Wetek Play is easily the best value for money. Great devs and great community.

Beautiful device
so just before i click to buy , is the asus chromebox good for me ( want it only for kodi with full 1080p and 3d support, all codec support etc ) i dont care much about 4k now and im going to install openelec and how you guys compare it with minix-h plus (an android box)

this is the link

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-CHROMEBOX-M00...op?ie=UTF8
(2015-04-30, 14:39)SABERZAID Wrote: so just before i click to buy , is the asus chromebox good for me ( want it only for kodi with full 1080p and 3d support, all codec support etc ) i dont care much about 4k now and im going to install openelec and how you guys compare it with minix-h plus (an android box)

this is the link

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-CHROMEBOX-M00...op?ie=UTF8

if you want 3d iso, then not gooed
if you want 3d sbs , ok then
whats the diff between 3d iso and
3d sbs
Actually its 3d mvc in iso container.
kodi doesnt do that

Sbs/tb does work in kodi

sbs is side by side or TB (top bottom) (half the resolution)
MVC is full 3d

its the way 3d is shown on tv/projector
(2015-04-29, 14:25)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-04-29, 12:32)WantWorldTV Wrote: So, I'm quite lost, I've been googling and youtubing for days about this. Fire TV looks the easiest one of the three, but I'm worried about the "Do not get a FireTV if you care about LiveTv". If I could buy a Chromebox that had already Kodi preinstalled I'd totally buy it!

Yes thats correct, do not get a Amazon Fire TV if you want to watch acceptable 50Hz Live TV. You are in Europe with very likely 25i/50i interlaced Live TV broadcasts that will not deinterlace properly with hardware acceleration enabled. Want proof...

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=222434

If you also care about perfect 23.976fps (24p) movies do not get a AFTV as it does not support dynamic refresh rate switching either.
A Chromebox or a RPi2 for Kodi + DVB-T Live TV viewing in Europe/Oz/NZ will give you superior results.

Have a good look at the Wetek Play if you want an out of the box solution. This will also give you the option of OpenElec / Kodi + Live TV + Android for Netflix etc. Wetek are in Europe and will provide good support for Kodi and the Wetek Play.

https://wetek.com/
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213747

Other options are AMlogic S805 SoC devices can run 50Hz Live TV and deinterlacing very well, even when using Kodi / Android. These support dynamic refresh rate switching. But have other limitations such as no perfect 24p.

Isengard has pretty decent deinterlacing on the fire TV - hardware accelerated bob deinterlacing.

It works pretty well with interlaced content, but not as good as the RPi2 and wetek play (I have both too), but if you want decent Netflix, prime and live TV the fire TV is now a half decent solution.
Questions about Bob deinterlacing and reliability of different content played on the AFTV, over here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213600&page=9

It's good for all 3 Qs

1. SD & HD are supported
2. Hardware using libstagefright (only method for MPEG2 on Fire TV)
3. MPEG2 works well

Only issue I ever have is a slightly odd bounce to reds occasionally (seems to have improved in alphas though)

We don't have HD MPEG2 in the UK, so can't comment on that - but SD works very well.

I wouldn't use it on my main TV yet (that's a wetek with near as dammit perfect deinterlacing), but for our bedroom TV it's great.
(2015-04-30, 14:55)SABERZAID Wrote: whats the diff between 3d iso and
3d sbs

An ISO file is a copy of a DVD or Bluray that should play just like the original disk.

3D videos must contain the left eye view and the right eye view.

A 3D bluray (and therefore a 3D ISO) will have the 3D recorded in a special extension to h.264 AVC called MVC. MVC has a full encode of the left eye view, and the right eye view is essentially encoded as the difference between the two, which is a big space saver as the difference is often pretty small. So Right Eye View = Left Eye View plus DIFF.

You can get the stereo MVC stream in an MKV container by using MakeMKV.

There is no open source MVC decoder at present, which means Kodi does not support it. The one exception is that the raspberry pi SOC will process it in hardware and kodi (15 nightlies) can make use of that. At the moment it is only in an mkv container, but creating that is easy, and they say ISO is not far away.

3D SBS is a BOTH eye views encoded in one frame. Commonly it is Half SBS so each frame has two 960x1080 frames. To kodi it looks like a regular 1920x1080 monoscopic file. The TV/Projector interprets it as 3D. Kodi needs no special code to do this - although it does have special code to display the OSD and subtitles in 3D, so all those things work.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2011-02-15, 09:58)poofyhairguy Wrote: You will need to build a custom rig, preferably with a GT 630 V2 GPU (aka the best HTPC GPU ever) or better to even make it worthwhile. That GPU plays all my h264 2160p files, and runs Aeon Nox at 4k perfectly at 60fps so I can recommend it also for older system you want to make into Kodi machines. Here is a good starting point for the quest of building a HTPC:

My understanding is you only HDMI version 2.0 and up is capable of 4k playback at 60fps. I did a quick search of GT 630 V2 on google, which either says it has HDMI 1.4, or doesn't mention the version (implying that it's 1.4?).

Are you sure your GPU plays 4k at 60fps?
OK GUYS

i have less then 5 hours to buy

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-CHROMEBOX-M10...EKCH1RHGS6

or http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QKH1...UTF8&psc=1

is the first option (first link) will give me the full kodi and media center experiance as my one time investment ? , will it play 3d , full hd movies etc ? without any problem and how you compare it with an android nox like minix-x8-h plus
Chromebox is excellent, but won't play full 3D, but neither will your other choice, Minix X8.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
i see

so the 2nd option ASUS VivoPC will play the full 3d?

the first option is a chrombox with Intel i3-4010U Processor 1.7 GHz anyway
(2015-05-03, 01:46)yeah_mike Wrote:
(2011-02-15, 09:58)poofyhairguy Wrote: You will need to build a custom rig, preferably with a GT 630 V2 GPU (aka the best HTPC GPU ever) or better to even make it worthwhile. That GPU plays all my h264 2160p files, and runs Aeon Nox at 4k perfectly at 60fps so I can recommend it also for older system you want to make into Kodi machines. Here is a good starting point for the quest of building a HTPC:

My understanding is you only HDMI version 2.0 and up is capable of 4k playback at 60fps. I did a quick search of GT 630 V2 on google, which either says it has HDMI 1.4, or doesn't mention the version (implying that it's 1.4?).

Are you sure your GPU plays 4k at 60fps?

nVidia Kepler and Maxwell GPUs with HDMI 1.4 outputs with the latest drivers support 4:2:0 2160/50p and 2160/60p HDMI 2.0 output. This is because 4:2:0 HDMI 2.0 modes at 2160/60p are within the HDMI 1.4 bandwidth - so nVidia were able to retrospectively add 2160/60p support to HDMI 1.4 cards using this slight 'cheat'.

I've managed to get an nVidia 7xx card running 2160/50p and 60p in 4:2:0 running on my Sony UHD - though haven't got it properly running in Kodi yet.
(2015-05-04, 18:47)SABERZAID Wrote: i see

so the 2nd option ASUS VivoPC will play the full 3d?

the first option is a chrombox with Intel i3-4010U Processor 1.7 GHz anyway

AIUI Windows is the only platform that supports 3D MVC on Core i CPUs, and there are issues with HDMI audio and HDCP paths on the Chromebox series. Suspect you'd be better off with a proper Windows box if you want 3D MVC support via an external player (no internal Kodi support for 3D MVC replay on Intel, only on Raspberry Pi)
  • 44(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26