• 98(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
(2015-04-29, 12:26)AuXBoX Wrote:
(2015-04-29, 09:50)raymw Wrote:
(2015-04-09, 11:36)AuXBoX Wrote: Try M3_HELIX_020515.zip

Many thanks for that Auxbox.

I Just tried this 020515 version with an old M3 box Auxbox and it fails giving me an error report in the recovery screen showing an assert failure issue. So maybe it needs signing for the M3 boxes possibly ?? I changed the .zip extension to ,img and put it on a USB stick which I accessed from the recovery screen after carrying out a Factory reset and cache/media clear. Installation started normally but then the failure with the assert error and tried twice with same result. Any suggestions on this as would be good to have the latest Linux based Helix of course if no problem.

So I have gone back to using the stable and solid Hydra V2 editions for M3 boxes with Linux KODI Helix 14.0 for my friends and contacts whose old single core boxes I am updating for them from Frodo 12.0.

Which box was it again Raymw?

It was a Sumvision Nano slim+ box, so an M3 single core box previously running Frodo 12. It was not my personal box but a friend's box identical to mine that he wanted me to update to Helix for him. Now he is happy with it running the Hydra 2 version of Helix 14.0 so absolutely no rush on this Auxbox, but useful to others and for future updates of course.
Cheers
Raymw
Hi Guys, I think I have bricked my Sumvision Cyclone Nano Slim +, tried installing the image from the 1st screen and whilst updating we had another power cut, I have tried several steps on here to try and recover but not having much success can anyone point me to the right tools & files please.

Kind Regards

Chris
(2015-05-01, 13:05)chris1975 Wrote: Hi Guys, I think I have bricked my Sumvision Cyclone Nano Slim +, tried installing the image from the 1st screen and whilst updating we had another power cut, I have tried several steps on here to try and recover but not having much success can anyone point me to the right tools & files please.

Kind Regards

Chris

Not surprising Chris as the Nano SLim+ box is now a quite old single core M3 box and all the builds now on the first page here I think you will find are for dual core M6/MX boxes like the Sumvision Cyclone X2 or MyGica ATV1200/1220 as well as some of the dual core MX boxes too. Of course it will crash as the build you are trying to install is incompatible with M3 boxes irrespective of losing power coincidentally during the flashing process (which I think was unlikely the problem). So suggest you try to see if you can install a suitable M3 build for your singel core box and hope it takes okay, but you may have bricked your box of course. If it is bricked then you will have to go back in this forum thread to find a good unbricking method for those boxes. I cannot remember personally about unbricking those as too long ago and cannot recall actually fully bricking one of them either.

Suggest you try to install one of the more recent M3 compatible Linux Helix 14.0 builds, like the Hydra 2 build from Pivos which I know does work with the box you have as have recently flashed an old one of mine and a friends one too and are both running great. Anyhow the download link I have for this Hydra 2 build no longer works so you will have to seek it out and with any luck find it. As you see above with my dialogue with AuxBox there is also a later M3 Helix build but this did not work for me sadly.
Cheers
Raymw
Hi, I do not know if this will help at all, but I have a "g/box midnight rev 2.2 single core with an amlogicmeson3 8726m sktsh" which I bricked a while back & tried all sorts & then I found this "http://forum.androidgadget.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=118", with nothing to lose I gave it a try & hey presto it worked.Ithen put in Hydras build which I got a link to from AuXBoX somewhere in this post about page 90. Hope this helps, good luck. Just looked again & the link is in the 1st post on this page (just above here) M3 Helix.
Hi every one, I've got a Sumvision X2 (ATV1200) and I've tried installing Ember on it and it just gets caught in a perpetual boot loop, it appears to install, reboots itself, then starts reinstalling, over and over again.

I used the pin bridge method to get it back on Android and then I tried again to install Ember, but the same thing happened, so I reverted back to Android once more and this time tried to install the AuxBox Helix 14.2, but that is also doing the same thing, the penguin screen comes up, looks like it has installed, reboots and does it all over again.

Does any one have any advice please?
(2015-05-07, 03:25)MackinsVII Wrote: Hi every one, I've got a Sumvision X2 (ATV1200) and I've tried installing Ember on it and it just gets caught in a perpetual boot loop, it appears to install, reboots itself, then starts reinstalling, over and over again.
I have had exactly the same problem with both my ATV1200 boxes, as have others. I tried posting on the xda developers forum, but my post has not been responded to.

I'm sticking with AuXBoX's 14.2 build which works very well for me.
(2015-05-07, 04:22)Grand Total Wrote: I'm sticking with AuXBoX's 14.2 build which works very well for me.

Thanks for your reply, I'm having the exact same issue with AuxBox's build too though, it seems my box doesn't like Linux.
hey guys just to confirm...

would the best bet right now be the ATV1200 with the auxbox helix 14.2 compile? and wifi works well?

coworker wants to get into the whole Kodi arena, just want to ensure I get her something that works well over wifi.
hey guys I I have an MKV that I seem to be getting some stutter and dropped frames on.

here's the file info on it. it's playing hardwired off an external drive plugged into my NAS. I can write to the drive at 25MB/sec so I don't think it has to do with transfer.

is this just too big for kodi to play on an ATV520 (ember 1.0.0 build by the way)

info screen shows the CPU util pretty high.. and I see both cores hitting over 95% on occasion.

(2015-05-07, 18:13)redi Wrote: hey guys just to confirm...

would the best bet right now be the ATV1200 with the auxbox helix 14.2 compile? and wifi works well?

coworker wants to get into the whole Kodi arena, just want to ensure I get her something that works well over wifi.

You will have no problem with the ATV1200 box BUT it is no longer in production. Instead they are still producing the excellent ATV1220 which is exactly the same basic hardware and system as the ATV1200 with it being a G02Ref board. So yes I have set up several 1200/1220 boxes now with EmbER V1.0.0 and the WiFi works brilliantly and easy to set up within the EmbER System Settings add-on. Main thing is at the moment DO NOT try to auto update to the Donators Edition (DE) as it has bricked two boxes for friends of mine who tried and I have had to unbrick for them with the shorting of the two pins and complete re-install etc I do recommend though still donating to these brilliant EmbER boys croniccory and Josh5 for all their brilliant work they do for us all and all they have achieved

Now using EmbER V1.0.1 and after some initial problem trying to flash from default Android bloat ware, this version works spot on. Not tried Auxbox's Linux Helix 14.2 compile yet but they are usually always great so you will doubtless not go wrong there. Trouble is I support croniccorey and all that EmbER are achieving and so support the voluntary US$10 donation in return for the Donators Edition (DE) with auto firmware updates, which I am sure will work correctly in the near future when they have the problems with it sorted.

So for now I strongly recommend folk donate the US$10 to those EmbER boys anyway as they deserve it, and then just enter the DE code they get back and that will avoid getting the authentication pop up error message at every boot up too.. BUT IMPORTANTLY for now I strongly advise being very cautious in, or indeed simply NOT, carrying out the update from in the box to the DE version, as I have had two boxes bricked doing just that from EmbER V 1.0.0 Have been feeding this problem back on the XDA forums but so far not had a solution that has worked but I am sure they are aware of it..

My own ATV1200 box with EmbER V1.0.0 will just not auto update to DE anywya so has not bricked. It does download the DE update files okay and then stops with a Server Busy error message every time, and that has now been happening sadly for about 3 weeks or more.now despite frequent attempts !!. Going to manually update my box to V1.0.1 now and see how that goes with the Auto Update to DE as at least I am capable of unbricking these boxes like many of us here but of course unlike many ordinary users out there. I will report back here as to any success or failure I have with this of course.
Cheers
Raymw
great appreciate the feedback ray. i'll recommend the ATV1220. I assume the wifi will work with ember or mx Linux.

I'm currently on ember 1.0.0 on my ATV520. I also donated, but since I'm on Ethernet only, the update won't work. I'm hesitant to flash to 1.0.1 because I have no issues with 1.0.0 currently. I can't say it works better than the mx Linux 14.1 build that I was on before, but it works just fine anyway.

I haven't seen any updates in awhile on the forums from corey or josh. I'm keeping an eye on xda forums for anything new regarding ember.
I am too using ember on my atv 1200 works well I've heard there's a bug when updating to 1.0.1 but they say it will work via wifi but I haven't tried it as I manually updated . What I am wondering has anyone managed to use Brian Hornsby s vpn setup on ember I've been trying with no luck
(2015-05-08, 16:11)redi Wrote: hey guys I I have an MKV that I seem to be getting some stutter and dropped frames on.

here's the file info on it. it's playing hardwired off an external drive plugged into my NAS. I can write to the drive at 25MB/sec so I don't think it has to do with transfer.

is this just too big for kodi to play on an ATV520 (ember 1.0.0 build by the way)

info screen shows the CPU util pretty high.. and I see both cores hitting over 95% on occasion.

Change the advanced xml to 1/3 of the free memory and settings to include local feeds. If that doesn't work try changing the audio file from DTS to AC3 in playback. DTS requires a lot of bandwidth. Do no use audio re-syncing on playback. I moved away from MKV to ISO as it allowed more flexibility in changing the audio files. MKV is just the video file envelope so it don't be affected being an ISO or MKV.
(2015-05-13, 16:15)redi Wrote: great appreciate the feedback ray. i'll recommend the ATV1220. I assume the wifi will work with ember or mx Linux.

I'm currently on ember 1.0.0 on my ATV520. I also donated, but since I'm on Ethernet only, the update won't work. I'm hesitant to flash to 1.0.1 because I have no issues with 1.0.0 currently. I can't say it works better than the mx Linux 14.1 build that I was on before, but it works just fine anyway.

I haven't seen any updates in awhile on the forums from corey or josh. I'm keeping an eye on xda forums for anything new regarding ember.

Sure Redi WiFI works fine on the ATV1200 and 1220. The only problem box with WiFi incompatibility I know of is the ATV520 because it is the only box I have come across that uses the Broadcom WiFi chip and there are as yet no drivers built into any Linux XBMC/KODI builds since Frodo 12.4 and later. Fine if you use say the old but good Linux Frodo 12.3 with your 520 box, but then you may have a lot of problems with later add-ons that may not work well if at all with that now quite old firmware.

To me I would firmly say it is best to only use the ATV520 boxes with the latest Helix firmware and treat it as a Wired connection ONLY box. They are then a very good and reliable box.. I honestly do not expect at this stage that the Broadcom compatibility issue will ever be fixed now, so best to avoid ATV520 boxes if you want / need WiFi connectivity.

As to EmbER V1.0.0 or 1.0.1 , well I have for now gone back to using only MX Linux Helix 14.2 with Auxbox's excellent compile. Okay it seems from my tests that this still gives me the old usual freezes when the box is idle, and indeed which EmbER has truly fixed. But I have had some significant problems with EmbER that worry me and are listed below :

1. With 1920 X 1080i graphics setting you get a frequent flicker of the screen about every 8 to 12 seconds though not specifically regular. You can see this clearly if you run the full HD test video that a lot of us here use to confirm we are getting true full HD and not up-scaled 720. You can notice it on your home screen too quite clearly on the horizontal menu bar lines. This can be cured I have just discovered by switching to 1080p rather than 1080i . It does not happen though with ANY of the MX Linux builds including the latest Helix 14.2 from Auxbox.

2. I have found with flashing from the native Android firmware to the EmbER V1.0.1 Convert set of files, it so far always ends up bricking the ATV1220 boxes (not tried it on any other G02Ref boxes).. It is a solid bricking too as it does then need the pin shorting method to recover the box and even then it also seems difficult to get it back into MX Linux builds too as the flash process then ends up stuck and will not reboot, seems to need to go back to EmbER V1.0.0 install and even that fails too quite often despite the pin shorting reset.. Anyone here got any clues as to why and has a cure ?? I think it is something to do with the repartitioning and formatting of the NAND that the EmbER Convert files do, but this is only considered guesswork..

3. I have had two bricked boxes back from friends of mine who I set up with EmbER V1.0.0 who then registered and tried to update to V1.0.1 DE and both then ended up with bricked boxes that required them to bring the boxes back to me to unbrick needing the full pin shorting method. On one of my own boxes I have been totally unable to upgrade from V1.0.0 to V1.0.1 as it always says "server busy" after downloading the V1.0.1 DE update files. I have now manually updated to V1.0.1 and that is running well on my EmbER ATV1200 box

4. The subtitle files refuse to download but that is still okay with all the MX Linux builds including Helix 14.2. This can be cured, as somebody else posted, by configuring the subtitles to be stored in a custom location rather than alongside the video file as the default setting. I point mine to store on my 8GB SD card but have to occasionally keep those .srt files cleaned up every now and then, despite those subtitle files being each very small. Does anyone know where I can store them so they are automatically deleted with each reboot ?? Have tried the /root/kodi/ area and sub-folders there but they still do not seem to get auto deleted Sad

5. EmbER seems a little slower overall than using MX Linux equivalent Helix builds.

For those reasons I have now gone back to only using MX Linux builds, (now Helix 14.2), to flash onto the ATV1200/1220 boxes over the top of the bloat ware default Android they are supplied with.. But I will also say positively that once installed OK, and up and running in 1080p, rather then 1080i, then EmbER V1.0.0 and V1.0.1 runs very well indeed and very stable too. I will be glad when these bugs are fully sorted..

I will later today post the above EmbER bugs to the XDA forum to catch the attention of croniccory and Josh5 as I want the EmbER system to succeed as I fully support their fantastic hard work and when the OTA auto firmware update is sorted works I will be more than happy.
Cheers
Raymw
thanks ray.

as for reverting back to mx Linux, did you use the ember revert to android first?
  • 98(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5