• 22(current)
Zotac ZBOX BI320 *Opinion please* Too good to be true?
Strange, if Kodi was NOT running and it went to sleep, how would you wake it?
I'm running openelec and I don't have a keyboard connected to it. If it goes to sleep, the only thing i can do it tun it off (power button) and on again.
(2015-05-04, 15:16)flhthemi Wrote: Strange, if Kodi was NOT running and it went to sleep, how would you wake it?

I'll give that a shot tonight and let you know if it works for me. I'm using a cheapo iPazz remote keypad. I typically only exit Kodi to run diagnostics in Windows, load new software or movies and for the occasional reboot. Other than that I sleep from Kodi and wake from Kodi.
I can't even get mine to sleep. Just set up my BI320 (Plus with 8.1) in dual boot having OpenELEC on a separate SATA drive which is the BIOS default. When I hit suspend in Kodi it suspends, only to wake again by itself only a few seconds later.

Anyone ever come across this or has any ideas here?

[Edit]
Some more info.

If I disable USB wake S3/S4 in BIOS it doesn't come back. Also, if there are no USB devices connected to the system (not plugged in at bootup and not plugged in at any time during operation) it suspends and doesn't come back. So this somehow does relate to USB wake. I don't need to even use any of the devices, merely plugging in a keyboard or an ir receiver into one of the USB ports results in the system coming back within seconds after going into suspend.

Not sure what's going on at this point in time. I'm still running the original BIOS from 05/27/2014. Attempted to update to the latest BIOS but that results in the mSATA drive disappearing, so it really doesn't work for me. I do run Legacy, not uefi, as that is the only way to keep Windows 8.1 working (probably due to how it was set up initially).

As said, any ideas would be much appreciated!

[Edit 2]
Got it sorted. Turns out I needed to switch the states of XHC and EHC1 in /proc/acpi/wakeup. XHC is enabled by default and EHC1 is disabled by default. The other way around suspend works just fine. Just set it up now to check each time before suspend and change states if need be. If anyone has a better solution for this, I'd sure like to hear about it. It works well enough for now to no longer think about it for the time being.

(2015-05-03, 22:27)harvey21 Wrote: If I can figure out a way to turn on the box (or wake it up) using the remote, all my issues would be resolved.

As a side note, waking the unit from suspend with the remote using a Flirc dongle works absolutely fine for me now in OpenELEC.
(2015-02-10, 11:23)viperlogic Wrote: zbox arrived yesterday, threw in a 120GB SSD and 4GB ram, installed win8.1 and then the drivers and bios update from zotac website. All done very fast and effortless.

Next I added my Edimax 7811Un nano wireless adapter (RTL8192cu chip) which windows picked up and installed. Connected to my network and then proceeded to speedtest.net in which I can only get approx 3Mbps. Hmmm, should be faster than that.
- Installed latest driver from Edimax site, still ~3Mbps
- Tried with a USB extension lead in case for any reason there was interference close to the box, still ~3Mbps
- Tried in my windows 7 laptop, ~15Mbps+
- Tried in my windows 7 laptop with extension lead, ~15Mbps+

Anyone else having similar issues?

Unless there are no other suggestions I will install windows7 on the zbox tonight and also try the Edimax on a friends win8 box. Process of elimination!

Update:
- Full speed on friends win8 box.
- Will also play-around forcing N on router just in case its going down to b or g etc

Been thinking I might update BIOS. Do you know what was fixed in the new one? I can't find a change log.
(2015-05-10, 19:36)flhthemi Wrote: Been thinking I might update BIOS. Do you know what was fixed in the new one? I can't find a change log.

Only says SSD compatibility. I've got the BI320 Plus and the only difference I've noticed is that the mSATA settings completely disappear from the BIOS. Drive is still bootable and seems to work fine, but the BIOS settings for it are just gone. Not an issue if you've got the barebones though.
Humm, I've got the W-2 (with win 8.1 preinstalled) and the 64gb SSD.

Maybe there has to be a SSD installed for the settings to appear?

I looked over the bios updater and it looks like you can backup the bios. Maybe it just backs up the settings. But I might give it a whirl, didn't look like it was rocket science.
(2015-05-10, 23:44)flhthemi Wrote: Humm, I've got the W-2 (with win 8.1 preinstalled) and the 64gb SSD.

Maybe there has to be a SSD installed for the settings to appear?

I've got the same model, and the mSATA settings were present in the previous BIOS. Settings are not present in the latest BIOS. Does not seem to affect the drive or its bootability, but something just seems amiss.

(2015-05-10, 23:44)flhthemi Wrote: I looked over the bios updater and it looks like you can backup the bios. Maybe it just backs up the settings. But I might give it a whirl, didn't look like it was rocket science.

I does back up the BIOS, not the settings, but yes, you can make a backup and later restore if the latest BIOS doesn't work for you.
Price alert... Barebones $103

http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-Mini-Barebon...zotac+zbox
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
The barebones version has been hanging around the $112 price for months on amazon as I keep an eye on it and the windows version as I m xurrently wiaitng for the fully loaded version to drop to at least $180 if not cheaper on amazon.
I am going to buy one of these Zotac boxes this weekend but can't decide weather to get a Bing or a Bare bones version.
How much room is left on the 64 GB ssd with Bing and Helix installed ? Would there be enough to run a program like JRiver or Logitech Media Center ?
If I go with the barebones version by the time I add a larger ssd and windows os the price starts to climb.
The extra cost is by no means a deal breaker but I'm not sure if it's necessary ??
What do you think ?
Win7/64/ML03/i3_2120/ASRock H77_Pro4-m/120GB OCZ SSD/8GB_Ram/2TB_WDGreen/Lite-On BD/Iogear GKM571 keypad/Inteset CIR Remote/Marantz AVR/Panasonic Plasma
(2015-05-14, 23:39)rtate Wrote: I am going to buy one of these Zotac boxes this weekend but can't decide weather to get a Bing or a Bare bones version.
How much room is left on the 64 GB ssd with Bing and Helix installed ? Would there be enough to run a program like JRiver or Logitech Media Center ?
If I go with the barebones version by the time I add a larger ssd and windows os the price starts to climb.
The extra cost is by no means a deal breaker but I'm not sure if it's necessary ??
What do you think ?

If you want Windows, definitely the Bing one, there's a spare 2.5" Sata slot if you need more space. If you don't need Windows, definitely get the barebones.
My BI320 was not a barebones came with Win8 w/bing..

Mine shows total size of C drive as 53gb with 29.3 remaining.

Kodi and addons galore
MySql
CCCleaner
Bluetooth adapter and related software
Flirc and its software
Bunch of other stuff too

Added a 1TB 2.5 I had laying around just for media. Very happy with mine.
So I got the BI320 with windows preloaded and just fired it up.
I also got a disc for drivers but I'm unsure if I need to load all these drivers or if I 'm good to go?
The windows updates took the better part of an hour to download and install. I have the box connected via lan and I think that the speeds are very slow.
When I went to download Kodi it said it was going to take over an hour ??
Is there something I need to set up to get optimum speeds? I haven't done a speed test yet but my internet package is supposed to be 50 Mbps and all the other machines in the house are very fast...
Win7/64/ML03/i3_2120/ASRock H77_Pro4-m/120GB OCZ SSD/8GB_Ram/2TB_WDGreen/Lite-On BD/Iogear GKM571 keypad/Inteset CIR Remote/Marantz AVR/Panasonic Plasma
(2015-05-26, 14:42)rtate Wrote: So I got the BI320 with windows preloaded and just fired it up.
I also got a disc for drivers but I'm unsure if I need to load all these drivers or if I 'm good to go?
The windows updates took the better part of an hour to download and install. I have the box connected via lan and I think that the speeds are very slow.
When I went to download Kodi it said it was going to take over an hour ??
Is there something I need to set up to get optimum speeds? I haven't done a speed test yet but my internet package is supposed to be 50 Mbps and all the other machines in the house are very fast...

In my case...I turned it on, set it up, did all the Windows updates. Then I went to Intel.com and got the newest 2957U drivers and installed them. Take the driver set that is in .exe format as it is self installing. I've had no trouble with network speeds on AT&T U-verse. I have a 46mbps service and usually see 36-41mbps or so from speedtest.net. You might want to make sure all your connections and cables up to the BI320 are good. I have a hard wire into my living room to a network switch then to the Zotac. Works great for me.
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac ZBOX BI320 *Opinion please* Too good to be true?1