• 53(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-05-26, 23:03)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-26, 22:45)Tigerman82 Wrote: I was about to pull the trigger on the Asus Chromebox (want to connect it to my TV and install Kodibuntu to stream flash-based movies) but the MSI Cubi pride drops seem tempting. Does the Asus Chromebox have any edge over the MSI Cubi? Obviously I would miss the great E-Z Setup greated for the Chromebox (I'm not used to installing Linux/Kodi).

the Cubi is one generation newer than the ChromeBox (Broadwell vs Haswell), but outside of GPU-assisted HEVC decoding on Windows, the hardware differences are negligible. And outside of flashing the custom firmware on the ChromeBox, installation of OpenELEC/Kodibuntu is identical - just install from USB media.

If you're going to run Linux, the Cubi doesn't have any real performance advantage. When the Cubi is selling at normal price ($150 barebones), the ChromeBox is the better buy if you don't need a larger SSD.

I need to make a final decision between the zotac bi320 barebone (adding 4 GB ram and 64 ssd) and the MSI cubi. The cubi is 30 euros more total. Is this worth the better CPU and msata option?

Tnx.
If you are running Windows and want to decode 1080p HEVC using a hybrid mix of Broadwell hardware decode and software then spend the extra money. Aesthetics wise the MSI is the nicer box.

(2015-05-27, 11:09)tecje Wrote: I need to make a final decision between the zotac bi320 barebone (adding 4 GB ram and 64 ssd) and the MSI cubi. The cubi is 30 euros more total. Is this worth the better CPU and msata option?

I am curious, how much is ready to use Zotac ZBOX-BI320-U-W2 compared to barebone? Here in the states, Barebone version is $104, loaded version is $200. It's a no brainer to go with loaded one since it comes with 64GB SSD and 2GB RAM (with a room for another 2GB if needed, which can be bought for $10-$15)
Also when comparing to Cubi, remember Cubi comes with BT and Wifi, which neither version of Zotac does. I am not too worried about wifi/bt, but it's good to have.
(2015-05-28, 07:06)hyde01 Wrote:
(2015-05-27, 11:09)tecje Wrote: I need to make a final decision between the zotac bi320 barebone (adding 4 GB ram and 64 ssd) and the MSI cubi. The cubi is 30 euros more total. Is this worth the better CPU and msata option?

I am curious, how much is ready to use Zotac ZBOX-BI320-U-W2 compared to barebone? Here in the states, Barebone version is $104, loaded version is $200. It's a no brainer to go with loaded one since it comes with 64GB SSD and 2GB RAM (with a room for another 2GB if needed, which can be bought for $10-$15)
Also when comparing to Cubi, remember Cubi comes with BT and Wifi, which neither version of Zotac does. I am not too worried about wifi/bt, but it's good to have.

We have soms crappy prices here. Zotac bare is 130, full is 260. So the full option is overpriced. The MSI is 240 ish, but the lack of optical output has me a bit worried for my situation (hometheather has poor hdmi , not adjustable, screen quality).

I'm stilling thinking about an Asus i3 barebone at 200, so total will be around 280, since I will be running Windows anyway.
I will first test dual HDMI as fall back. One to TV for visuals and second HDMI to ht for audio, for I make the final decision.
I don't see much mention of the Mele PCG03, or Minix Z64W, or Pipo X7 in this thread? Unless Im mistaken, if you want to run windows these boxes seem reasonable for something totally off shelf and ready to run Kodi.

There seems to be three price points there and this seems to be reflective in the quality too, from high to low in respect to the above list.

The various reviews seem to state that these boxes run Kodi very well.

The Mele seems the best of the bunch, but its also more expensive. The Pipo seems great for some of the prices that it has been sold for from time to time (sub $100), although I do seem some mention of problems in relation to the heat sink.

What are peoples thoughts here about these devices (for users that want to run Kodi on windows) ?

Mele: http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/10/13/m...ory-price/
Minix: http://hometheatrelife.com/minix-neo-z64...s-mini-pc/
Pipo: http://www.neowin.net/news/our-review-of...81-mini-pc
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
(2015-05-28, 11:55)tecje Wrote:
(2015-05-28, 07:06)hyde01 Wrote:

We have soms crappy prices here. Zotac bare is 130, full is 260. So the full option is overpriced. The MSI is 240 ish, but the lack of optical output has me a bit worried for my situation (hometheather has poor hdmi , not adjustable, screen quality).

I'm stilling thinking about an Asus i3 barebone at 200, so total will be around 280, since I will be running Windows anyway.
I will first test dual HDMI as fall back. One to TV for visuals and second HDMI to ht for audio, for I make the final decision.

I made a little comparison, (I used $80 for windows license but with those who use barebone, I guess they don't buy Windows)

Full Size: http://i.gyazo.com/cbfd2f34777a6d245e9be87ea6dc4216.png
(2015-05-28, 15:52)hyde01 Wrote: I made a little comparison, (I used $80 for windows license but with those who use barebone, I guess they don't buy Windows)

I wish I had those prices in the Netherlands. Smile the MSI I mentioned was full though, so that's not too bad. If ordering from the states was as easy as from Ali.
(2015-05-28, 15:52)hyde01 Wrote: I made a little comparison, (I used $80 for windows license but with those who use barebone, I guess they don't buy Windows)

all of those boxes will have the exact same audio output via HDMI - up to 8 discrete PCM channels plus bitstreaming of all HD formats. All should have gigabit ethernet. Any of the ones with HDMI+DP support up to 3 displays.
(2015-05-29, 05:11)Matt Devo Wrote:

all of those boxes will have the exact same audio output via HDMI - up to 8 discrete PCM channels plus bitstreaming of all HD formats. All should have gigabit ethernet. Any of the ones with HDMI+DP support up to 3 displays.

Thanks, made some correction to my list.
Full Size
Quick question about the (mini) display port. They state that it supports 4k at 60hz. Does this mean that when a HDMI 2.0 adapter comes available it will work at full specs?
guys , can you recommend a remote for my Intel NUC NUC5i5RYH please , want to use it for kodi
Saber the $15 Replament kindle Fire Stick bluetooth remote is a great option. Another option would be FLIRC+Harmony Remote depending on how much money you want to spend.
(2015-05-29, 23:09)Topken Wrote: Saber the $15 Replament kindle Fire Stick bluetooth remote is a great option. Another option would be FLIRC+Harmony Remote depending on how much money you want to spend.

thanks bro , but Harmony Remote is lil expansive , i already hv FLIRC , what remote i can use it with FLIRC other then Harmony Remote ?

amazon remote not that advance
Any ir remote works with flirc. You are very off topic now.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@ SABERZAID, please STOP using this thread as a Perhipherals and configuration thread. This is core Kodi Hardware device thread
Kindly start a new thread in the general Hardware section for all your other questions.

And another thing SEARCH and stop being lazy. There are numerous remote threads in the General Hardware section.
FLIRC even tells you on their website what remotes you can use. Jeez.

/Rant off

• 53(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26