• 29(current)
Vero OSMC
(2015-05-28, 19:20)ActionA Wrote:
(2015-05-28, 19:17)tdw197 Wrote:
(2015-05-28, 16:56)zaphod24 Wrote: Well now I'm curious about the Wetek Play. I'd seen it as another option but haven't looked into it too much. All I know about it is that it has an AmLogic AML8726-MX chip. I've seen some similar devices like the odroid-c1 that are based on a slightly different or more recent AmLogic chip like the S802.

What device is the Wetek Play a rebranded version of?

The wetek play with integrated sat tuners is a bit of a bargain if you ask me - the SOC may not be be great, but I doubt you could even get a dvb to ip dual sat tuner for that price, let alone one which runs kodi.

Can we please keep this thread on topic?!

Might be a bit late for that Smile
(2015-05-28, 19:17)tdw197 Wrote:
(2015-05-28, 16:56)zaphod24 Wrote: Well now I'm curious about the Wetek Play. I'd seen it as another option but haven't looked into it too much. All I know about it is that it has an AmLogic AML8726-MX chip. I've seen some similar devices like the odroid-c1 that are based on a slightly different or more recent AmLogic chip like the S802.

What device is the Wetek Play a rebranded version of?

The wetek play with integrated sat tuners is a bit of a bargain if you ask me - the SOC may not be be great, but I doubt you could even get a dvb to ip dual sat tuner for that price, let alone one which runs kodi.

Well, RockerC made the comment that if Kodi forum users were going to get up in arms about the Vero being a rebranded Cubox-i2 that those same users should be upset by the Wetek Play. If the Wetek device is indeed a more expensive and rebranded version of another device, I would make the same comments/complaints in a hardware forum about it.

So was that just a distraction or is the Wetek Play a rebranded device and if it is, what is the original device?
(2015-05-28, 19:26)zaphod24 Wrote:
(2015-05-28, 19:17)tdw197 Wrote: The wetek play with integrated sat tuners is a bit of a bargain if you ask me - the SOC may not be be great, but I doubt you could even get a dvb to ip dual sat tuner for that price, let alone one which runs kodi.

Well, RockerC made the comment that if Kodi forum users were going to get up in arms about the Vero being a rebranded Cubox-i2 that those same users should be upset by the Wetek Play. If the Wetek device is indeed a more expensive and rebranded version of another device, I would make the same comments/complaints in a hardware forum about it.

So was that just a distraction or is the Wetek Play a rebranded device and if it is, what is the original device?

Make a Wetek thread if you are so concerned.
I will, but not on an unfounded claim. Sounds like it was a distraction.
But back on topic, how does the latest update (RC3 plus additional update) fair on the Vero playing back the sample content from http://solidrun.maltegrosse.de/~fritsch/ ? Have the issues with networking and IR response been resolved or improved?
Wetek Play: 109 Euros with DVB-C / DVB-S Tuner ... No other device exists in that range with those specs ... ah and it can actually play 1080i50. If you find the sister model for 50 euros, let me know in that new thread :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-05-28, 20:20)zaphod24 Wrote: But back on topic, how does the latest update (RC3 plus additional update) fair on the Vero playing back the sample content from http://solidrun.maltegrosse.de/~fritsch/ ? Have the issues with networking and IR response been resolved or improved?

Just try it yourself. Replace uboot and SPL file ... it's not that hard ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
But I only have the Cubox-i2 so I thought we should get feedback from actual Vero owners.
The vero is a cubox i2 with GC880 - nothing is different hardware wise to the vero (besides in your case bluetooth and wlan). If you don't trust me - ask solid-run that produced it ...

And again: Nothing is wrong to make an OEM product in white with a non CEC capable hdmi cable + remote for 199 dollars.

Edit: The "non CEC capable hdmi cable" was obviously a joke. It was mentioned on discourse.osmc.tv and was solved in a nice way for those specific customers.
(2015-05-28, 16:39)RockerC Wrote: Almost all that have been said here can also be said about WeTek Play and no one seem to be bashing the maker of it like people here are bashing on the Vero, it is discrimination because WeTek Play is a sponsor or just a few people who have something personal against Sam Nazarko or his commercial endeavors? As I see it both WeTek Play and the Vero are overpriced if you only look at it the hardware, but they both add value via customized firmware and offering end-user support without just referring to Kodi. Yes the Vero is more expensive than a SolidRun's CuBox-i2 or CuBoxTV, so what, probably neither it or WeTek Play is really marketed at you as Kodi enthusiasts, so just don't buy one!

WeTek Play is over priced for the SoC alone, and I probably wouldn't buy one (I was given one for testing). However, they actually hired a developer from Amlogic, made their own remote from scratch (which is crazy awesome, I love this remote so much), and managed to squeeze a crazy amount of performance out of weak hardware. The end result is something similar to a Raspberry Pi, where the hardware is still weak, but the software-level support is amazing.

We're honestly surprised that it turned out this way. We expected WeTek to just be another random Android box maker, and wanted to sponsor us to get their name out, but they actually dove in and made significant code contributions, supported both the Kodi project and OpenELEC, as well as individual developers. The boxes they provided us perform better than other nearly identical (in specs) boxes, because of that software support. Even if they were not a sponsor, I would say they have earned a ton of respect for that alone.

If someone needed a single box, with an internal tuner, and a great remote, then I would recommend the WeTek Play even now. It's just that most people don't need that.

On the flip side, right now in May of 2015, wouldn't tell anyone to buy a CuBox-I or a Vero for any situation. They're not bad, but there's no reason to buy them given the few remaining issues they both have, and that there are other boxes that are the same price or cheaper with none of those issues.

I think people get frustrated when there's this claim of "superior" support for the Vero, when fundamentally the product itself has flaws that negate the support in other areas. At the same time, a lot of people might buy the Vero and be perfectly happy, because it's still not bad hardware. It's not a lot of money when you consider that $300-500 used to be the normal price for an HD-captable HTPC about five years ago. It's like getting mad at payin $35 instead of $30; it's really not a big deal when you look at the big picture.

In the end, Raspberry Pi 2 came along and just wreaked everyone's plans. Raspberry Pi 2 is freaking awesome and most people will find it a better fit than the Vero, CuBox-i, or WeTek Play. Now all that's left is to argue about things that don't really matter, because anyone wanting to survive at this point needs to be working on their next box that brings something new or better to the table.
Nice summation Ned.

As we are now talking about broadcast DVB-C / DVB-S / TV, what is the state of play for deinterlacing and playback of mpeg2 1080/25Hz and 720p50Hz broadcast TV on iMX6 based devices ?

I ask out of interest because I recently purchased a dirt cheap AMlogic S805 SoC device and the GPU/VPU in this thing is bloody excellent for 1080i mpeg2 SD and HD TV. These recent AMlogic SoC's like the S802, S812 and to a lessor extent the AML8726-MX (Wetek Play), really pack some punch in the TV space when backed with proper sorted out firmware.

Offtopic please split and keep it about Vero (from actual customers not people having a bitch fit)
So now only actual customers are allowed to discuss anything in this thread, Rubbish !
The OSMC Forum is for Owners and Actual customers.

Vero = iMX6 so it is actually a legitimate and important question, whats the problem ?

Actually I've found the info in this thread, so disregard the question Sad

https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/live-tv-audi...-sync/3702

(2015-05-29, 06:41)swetoast Wrote: Offtopic please split and keep it about Vero (from actual customers not people having a bitch fit)

Heh? It's exactly not.
Vero customers have to go to the Vero forums.
This thread actually is for "potential" customers only...
So far there is 28 pages of people having a bitch fit about pricing etc its not like Sam is violating any licenses hell even the GPL Violators on this forum gets better treatment then Sam think people should really take a look at their behavior and be ashamed

fucking disgraceful behavior makes me ashamed to be a member of this forum
  • 29(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vero OSMC11