Req Warning on install 3rd party repos/addons and restore to default.
I really like the idea of adding a warning. I think it is a good idea. The cydia application for jailbroken iDevices does a similar thing. It lets someone know what they may be getting into and if providing support you can ask one question "Did you see a warning about unintended behavior?" and maybe being able to ask them to "restore" to a fresh install with a backed up and renamed advancedsettings and guisettings file to see if it solves/fixes the problem. No idea if that is worth it but to me seems like it may be an easy way to determine that the issue was in fact caused by something not officially supported by Kodi.
I too would like a pop-up warning and accept or decline option when installing third-party repositories as well as when installing addons from those repositories.

Maybe at least add an option setting to activate side-loading installations from "Unknown Sources" like in Android OS?

sdsnyr94 had a good point here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229728

"Isn't Amazon, just by allowing the installation of third party apps on the FireTV, facilitating piracy? Once I enable that setting, I can just download a pirated APK and install said pirated software...

OR, is it because *I* enabled the setting to allow "Unknown Sources", in which the onus now falls into my hands, and not Amazon's?

In my opinion, within the Kodi software there are no deterrents or disclaimers AGAINST add-ons that advocate piracy. If Kodi, by default, blocked third party repositories/addons.... but added a setting, or as Amazon has it labeled a 'Developer Option', to allow third party repositories/add-ons, which when enabled displays a disclaimer opposing piracy /warning of risks of third party software, would it help distance Team-Kodi from the 'facilitating piracy' label, and place responsibility back into the users hands?
"
I agree with the above.

Have an Allow Unknown Sources toggle like Android defaulted to OFF to allow only installation of add-ons from the official repo, then when a user sets this to ON to allow installation of 3rd party repo's a pop up a message along the line of:

Quote:WARNING - Only add-ons in the Official Repository are supported by Team Kodi.
Installation of addons/repositories from other sources may introduce unexpected or unwanted behaviours that may cause issues with Kodi, they may also violate the copyright laws of the country you reside in. If you experience any erratic issues its advised to disable such add-ons/repositories and see if issues disappear.

Do you want to continue?

Yes - No

We could also do a check whenever the user enters the Add-on manager and pop up a similar message (for those boxes where the repo's are pre-installed).
Yes exactly, that seems more sensible way to handle that as you pointed out.

I think that in addition / extension of this idea a factory reset option that actually renamed the userdata and restarted kodi would also be of great help towards getting a fully working system for more reasons other than this. But ceratinly isn't absolutely necessary.
(2015-06-22, 13:09)jjd-uk Wrote: I agree with the above.

Have an Allow Unknown Sources toggle like Android defaulted to OFF to allow only installation of add-ons from the official repo, then when a user sets this to ON to allow installation of 3rd party repo's a pop up a message along the line of:

Quote:WARNING - Only add-ons in the Official Repository are supported by Team Kodi.
Installation of addons/repositories from other sources may introduce unexpected or unwanted behaviours that may cause issues with Kodi, they may also violate the copyright laws of the country you reside in. If you experience any erratic issues its advised to disable such add-ons/repositories and see if issues disappear.

Do you want to continue?

Yes - No

We could also do a check whenever the user enters the Add-on manager and pop up a similar message (for those boxes where the repo's are pre-installed).

I think it would be more logical to just have that one-time warning come up when a user first selects "install by zip". I don't like the idea of adding another setting that someone has to hunt down and flip before being able to use an option that is already in our UI.

As for pre-configured boxes, I don't think this will help significantly. They'll make modified versions that remove the warning. Several venders already do this for various other little things. They know how to do it, and it will just turn into a silly cat and mouse game.
(2015-06-23, 00:48)Ned Scott Wrote: I think it would be more logical to just have that one-time warning come up when a user first selects "install by zip". I don't like the idea of adding another setting that someone has to hunt down and flip before being able to use an option that is already in our UI.
I think install from zip shouldn't be there by default and should be handled like it's on Android.

Quote:As for pre-configured boxes, I don't think this will help significantly. They'll make modified versions that remove the warning. Several venders already do this for various other little things. They know how to do it, and it will just turn into a silly cat and mouse game.
But at least we state that even though it's possible to sideload and it will give us the opportunity to warn the user about potential dangerous stuff that might happen because of a non-reviewed addon. Signing is another solution but that won't work either i guess.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Another argument is that this feature is needed for parental control, so this idea could maybe be made part of Kodi's user profile improvements project for GSOC?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=222006
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228415

(2015-06-23, 07:57)mkortstiege Wrote: I think install from zip shouldn't be there by default and should be handled like it's on Android.
Exactly, the option to install addons/repos from ZIP files wouldn't even be seen in the GUI until the user gone into expert mode and enabled the "Unknown sources" option under settings.

These is also the arguments from Amazon and Google as you can read here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/d...=201482620

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/2812853

Enable Unknown Sources

To install app stores that are not initially present on your device, Android requires you to enable the "Unknown Sources" setting. This allows you to download apps and games from sources other than Google to your mobile device.

Note: Any time you're using the Internet, you should take care to download content only from sources that you know (such as Amazon). Amazon only downloads apps and games that you've intentionally purchased to your device.

To enable the Unknown Sources setting:
  1. During the installation process for Amazon Appstore, follow the on-screen prompts to enable Unknown Sources. For more information about installing the Amazon Appstore app, go to Install Amazon Appstore for Android.
  2. The Amazon app for Android will walk you through enabling this setting before you get your first app from the Apps & Games department.
  3. To access the Unknown Sources setting directly, press the menu icon or button from the Home screen and tap Settings. Select Security (Android OS 4.0+) or Applications (Android OS 3.0 and earlier). You may need to scroll down to see the Unknown Sources setting.

Google describes it better on the Android development documentation here

http://developer.android.com/distribute/...ution.html

User Opt-In for Apps from Unknown Sources

Figure 2. Users must enable the Unknown sources setting before they can install apps not downloaded from Google Play.

Android protects users from inadvertent download and install of apps from locations other than Google Play (which is trusted). It blocks such installs until the user opts-in Unknown sources in Settings > Security, shown in Figure 2. Users need to make this configuration change before they download your apps to their devices.

Note that some network providers don’t allow users to install applications from unknown sources.

Image Image

(2015-06-22, 23:11)uNiversal Wrote: I think that in addition / extension of this idea a factory reset option that actually renamed the userdata and restarted kodi would also be of great help towards getting a fully working system for more reasons other than this.
+1 on the general factory reset / restore to default option idea, again just like for Android OS, but that is a separate request, see here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=198966

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=198966
(2014-07-01, 16:10)RockerC Wrote: Would be nice to have a "Restore all to factory settings" button available for master reset under expert setting. Such an factory reset and wipe option should reset everything to how all settings are on a fresh installed of XBMC.

Steel warning text from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_reset
Quote:A factory reset, also known as master reset, is a software restore of an electronic device to its original system state by erasing all of the information stored on the device in an attempt to restore the device’s software to its original manufacturer settings. Doing so will erase all of the data, settings, and applications that were previously on the device. This is usually done to fix a software issue that the device is facing, but it could also be done to restore the device to its original settings. Since a factory reset entails deleting all information stored in the device, it is essentially the same concept as reformatting a hard drive. Pre-Installed applications and data on the card's storage card (such as a MicroSD card) will not be erased. A factory reset should be performed with caution, as it destroys all data stored in the unit. Factory resets can often fix many chronic performance issues such as freezing and will not remove the device's operating system.
This would especially good to have on appliance devices that only uses XBMC as its only interface, like set-top boxes based on XBMC, or an HTPC with OpenELEC.

Erase all user data, set skin to default, wipe all none pre-installed addons, and clean cache similar to the "Factory Data Reset" wiping function on iOS devices and Android phones that you normally use before you sell your device.

Purpose: Common reasons to perform a factory reset include:
* To fix a malfunctioning electronic device
* To remove a file or virus that is difficult to remove
* To clear the configuration and settings of the electronic device to the default settings
* To clear the memory space on the electronic device
* To remove personal information from the device before selling the device

(2015-06-23, 00:48)Ned Scott Wrote: I don't like the idea of adding another setting that someone has to hunt down and flip before being able to use an option that is already in our UI.

Why not? the whole point is putting an extra hoop in place for users to jump through so we can point to out to anyone who asks that only add-ons in the Official repository can be installed by default, thus the only way a pirate add-on will get onto a system using a vanilla install of Kodi is for the user to have made a conscious effort themselves to allow this and then carry out the install themselves.

(2015-06-23, 00:48)Ned Scott Wrote: As for pre-configured boxes, I don't think this will help significantly. They'll make modified versions that remove the warning. Several venders already do this for various other little things. They know how to do it, and it will just turn into a silly cat and mouse game.

Actually most vendors are stupid, lazy and just out to make a quick buck with as little effort as necessary, I doubt any changes made are beyond the skin/xml level, thus if we do something in the C++ code I doubt many will bother making any changes. The only the exception might be the TVMC guys, but that would also be a good thing if it drives more vendors to use their fork instead of using vanilla Kodi as they might start marketing it as as TVMC box rather than a Kodi box, thus helping to distance ourselves from the piracy community.
No objections from me.
idk why pirate addons keep being mentioned in same breath as this request, the fact is piracy aside many valid reasons for installing a 3rd party repo/addon via zip which should also get same warning.

On the other hand, again the few addons that really screw up Kodi many aren't even anything related to piracy. (I haven't tried any of them so wouldn't even know where to start all I know its one or a combination cause issues)

That subject imo is best left out of here not to elicit sidetracked discussion(s) of why kodi was removed from xyz and its not illegal in country xyz which keep "pooping" up a valid discussion Wink

That said I agree fully on the unknown sources proposal and removal of zip install until hoops are jumped. Like a slap in the face, hello there wake up! before you zombie yourself into a crappified kodi and blame everyone but yourself in process..
Right, it's all about 3rd party.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Sorry for sidetracking the conversation earlier....

Making the end user jump through a few hoops, and give them a succinct warning about what the possible consequences of their actions is not an altogether unreasonable measure, bury it in the code so the lazy vendors cannot remove it. A pertinent point should also be given in the Popup that states "No help will be provided for Addons classified as Banned by the Kodi Team"
This may help to prevent all those Newbs asking for constant help on the forum and make everyones days easier.

I know Ned does not even like the Banned Addons - Wiki list, but even a Bad Adddons Wiki list for badly written Addon code that screws Kodi so badly might not be an unreasonable idea. A Soft or Hard reset of Kodi is definitely a good addition in this case.

(2015-06-23, 11:31)jjd-uk Wrote: Why not? the whole point is putting an extra hoop in place for users to jump through so we can point to out to anyone who asks that only add-ons in the Official repository can be installed by default, thus the only way a pirate add-on will get onto a system using a vanilla install of Kodi is for the user to have made a conscious effort themselves to allow this and then carry out the install themselves.
I think this is a very valid point, its very good PR for Kodi going forward and demonstrates in plain sight that the Kodi Team is serious about preventing installation of such addons. The onus of responsibility is then placed squarely on the End User.

(2015-06-23, 14:37)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-06-23, 11:31)jjd-uk Wrote: Why not? the whole point is putting an extra hoop in place for users to jump through so we can point to out to anyone who asks that only add-ons in the Official repository can be installed by default, thus the only way a pirate add-on will get onto a system using a vanilla install of Kodi is for the user to have made a conscious effort themselves to allow this and then carry out the install themselves.
I think this is a very valid point, its very good PR for Kodi going forward and demonstrates in plain sight that the Kodi Team is serious about preventing installation of such addons.
Precisely! Not to bring up the piracy discussion again, but this could be seen as another step to show that the team is actively taking actions to further distancing the Kodi project from those who associate it with piracy, which is much in-line what Nate said to TorrentFreak that XBMC Foundation is working towards https://torrentfreak.com/xbmckodi-target...rs-141101/
(2015-06-23, 14:37)wrxtasy Wrote: I think this is a very valid point, its very good PR for Kodi going forward and demonstrates in plain sight that the Kodi Team is serious about preventing installation of such addons.
Are they?
That seems to directly contradict what I've read here and elsewhere.

Edit: preventing installation of and distancing oneself from something are two quite different things. As I understand it the object is to do the latter.
Trogggy understands somewhat this point, unlike wxstasy and the prevention comments, however much distance this throws into the mix it also performs a clear job of informing users of the fact we (the community) dont want or care about supporting anyone's jacked up configurations or bad addon coding or non existent 3rd party addons support.

As long as its done tastefully this is a good thing in all counts.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Warning on install 3rd party repos/addons and restore to default.0