• 13(current)
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]
Why not get them a basic laptop and start to teach them programming such as scratch. They will also have access to YouTube and everything else. They would appreciate it in the future when they are computer literate and increase their chances of getting a job? We don't have pit kids infront of the TV to keep them occupied.
Yeh, I guess so, just thinking good to be able to dual boot into Windows also. Big Grin

Cheers!
For dual boot options check pipo x7s.
(2015-06-30, 23:35)decpvr Wrote:
(2015-06-30, 19:31)decpvr Wrote: Ok, so mine is plugged into the lower port, when looking at the manual.

I'll check my bios settings later and report back.

Looks like it's definitely my remote/IR receiver.

I checked my bios settings and the wake from keyboard option was enabled.

I was able to wake up the HP unit using my Logitech K200 wireless keyboard by pressing the power button.

I tried swapping the receiver into different USB ports and was able to get the internal red LED to flash on the IR receiver whilst pressing buttons but it still would not wake the HP.

I even dug out another rc6 IR receiver out, which looks the same, but is HP branded (the one I'm currently using is plain and unbranded). That one didn't even acknowledge any button presses from my remote even when openelec was running.

Hi,

I have my IR receiver going into the bottom usb2.0 port on the back and updated the bios and it works with an MCE remote, but I've noticed a quick power button press only gets the red flash on the IR but if I hold it down then it does power on the 260

Mike.

I'm guessing the HP branded rc6 receiver is more likely a genuine device, which is why it doesn't work with the other remote. I can't seem to find a matching remote for it though! I have a feeling I bought it separately and don't have a matching controller which will work with it.

Even my Logitech harmony remote didn't work with either receiver to power up. It does work correctly within openelec as expected though.

I'll draw a line under this part of the topic now, at least from my end, as I would need to purchase extra hardware and I'm really not bothered enough to do that.
SKIN: Aeon Madnox
RIP Schimi2k, we miss you.
When I grow up I want to be a skilled skinner
Thank me by ⬇ adding to my + reputation
(2015-07-01, 14:22)Mike_Doc Wrote: Hi,

I have my IR receiver going into the bottom usb2.0 port on the back and updated the bios and it works with an MCE remote, but I've noticed a quick power button press only gets the red flash on the IR but if I hold it down then it does power on the 260

Mike.

decpvr can you confirm?
(2015-07-01, 15:32)MediaPi Wrote: decpvr can you confirm?

I'll take another look later on. I'm sure I tried a long press and it didn't work.

I don't know if Mike_Doc means that he updated the bios settings or actually installed a newer (updated) bios?

Is there a new bios available?
just updated the setting decpvr to enable the wake on keyboard option.
noggin, would you kindly provide detailed instructions on how to back up the windows install and also the license key. If the new display adapter works I will be looking to run it using windows but nice to have a back up just in case. I know you posted the below but none of the links make sense to me.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2034340

Am I right in assuming the attached RAM would be a suitable upgrade

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMSO4GX3...m+4gb+1600

Thanks
have a look at what second hand memory sticks are going for on Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R...5573.m1684

why buy brand new? for HTPC usage the speed is inconsequential. just buy the cheapest one, also how much total memory do you want? it has 2 slots so another 2giggs will do, I believe 2 x 2giggs stick is cheaper than single 4giggs

as long as its DDR3L than its fine ( I think)
always source accessories cheaper

but fro brand new I think this is a better deal
http://www.ebuyer.com/646121-4gb-1600mhz...316ls9ib-4

but like I said these are high performance memory for a special use case I think.
buy second hand on stuff like this, you shoudn't have problems, anyone else care to share their thoughts on buying ram, brnad new or second hand?

also if your buying new also try flubit to see if you can get further reduction

Edit: I'm sure memory was cheaper a year ago, prices seem alot higher than I was expected
(2015-07-01, 14:22)Mike_Doc Wrote: Hi,

Mike.

(2015-07-01, 15:32)MediaPi Wrote: decpvr can you confirm?

Tried a long press - doesn't work for me. My remote & receiver are obviously not an official RC6 type.
thanks decpvr Smile
(2015-07-02, 12:53)Mark142 Wrote: noggin, would you kindly provide detailed instructions on how to back up the windows install and also the license key. If the new display adapter works I will be looking to run it using windows but nice to have a back up just in case.

To recover your Windows key try this link and scroll down until you get to the section starting "Download RW-EVERYTHING"
http://superuser.com/questions/513904/ho...n-the-bios

MS have a very comprehensive set of instructions here on how to make a recovery drive:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windo...very-drive

To create a system image backup look here
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-...26542.html
More on the SATA cable. HP after a re-order are now quoting an August delivery. I've ordered a second cable via Lambdatek, so may have a duplicate if anyone wants one...
@decpvr, seems my remote has stopped working now, something I've done as I've switched from the wired keyboard and mouse to an MS wireless 800 keyboard and mouse and the power on from remote doesn't seem to be working now. Will do some more testing over the weekend and let you know if I resolve it or not.
(2015-07-02, 23:37)noggin Wrote: More on the SATA cable. HP after a re-order are now quoting an August delivery. I've ordered a second cable via Lambdatek, so may have a duplicate if anyone wants one...

I would have said yes, but I ordered the Lambdatek one after seeing your initial post about the HP delay. I guessed that maybe the HP one might end up as a wild goose chase (if it's EOL?) and thought Lambdatek might be the better option.

Although IIRC I did notice when placing my order, Lambdatek state they order the parts from the manufacturer!

(2015-07-03, 09:02)Mike_Doc Wrote: @decpvr, seems my remote has stopped working now, something I've done as I've switched from the wired keyboard and mouse to an MS wireless 800 keyboard and mouse and the power on from remote doesn't seem to be working now. Will do some more testing over the weekend and let you know if I resolve it or not.

Yes, I did notice the behaviour of powering up/testing the remote was a bit odd when I was trying to get mine to work (for powering up).

It seemed to vary depending on which cable was in which port and how I had powered up. There didn't appear to be much logic behind it however. Part of the reason I gave up ;-).

The best I could manage was getting my IR receiver to light up (the internal red LED) on every button press.

I wonder if I plugged in the wired keyboard and tried my remote would make any difference? Damn! You've got me thinking about it now :-).
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]2