• 125(current)
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
(2015-07-06, 22:11)fritsch Wrote: Can you triple verify, that Lanczos3 Optimized does not work for the 576i to 1080? Perhaps with VAAPI-BOB? And also not for the 720p50?

We are much more efficent with this EGL approach as we don't have to copy surfaces at all for display.

Ok checked it again
576i50 & 720p50
Video scaling method: Lanczos3 Optimized
Deinterlace Method: MADI / MCDI / VAAPI-BOB scaling to 1080p: skip fast increasing & stutter

what I have seen as soon as I have Lanczos3 Optimized and switch the on screen Information on in the last row "S( the field shows on the end error:100%

576i50 & 720p50
Video scaling method: Bilinear
Deinterlace Method: MADI / MCDI / VAAPI-BOB scaling to 1080p: no skip and no stutter
AS Rock Beebox * Kodi 17.0-RC2 * Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Did some testing on my setup. I have:
OpenElec latest Fritsch build running on the Asus Chromebox
Denon 4520 AVR
JVC 4810

I first tried to just remove all the xrandr settings I had in the openelec setup and unwind any settings I had in kodi.

This meant - chromebox would be at Limited ( I think?) and the projector was set at standard (16-235). I also turned off the use limited range I had set in kodi.
I had dithering setting was enabled by default.
This looked pretty good but the grayscale ramp still didn't look 100% smooth like it does with the full/software limited range option I had earlier.

I think set xrandr to full and set the projector to enhanced (0-235) with dithering off. This looked good but had some banding. Turning on dithering here gave the smoothed grayscale as it looked perfect.

I am guessing this isn't exactly what I should be doing though. I thought the unwinding of all settings should give me the proper input.

Thoughts? I am a bit new to all this color space stuff....
If your beamer is full range:
Set xrandr to full range, disable kodi's Limited Range setting, turn on dithering with 8 bits.

If your beamer is limited range:
Set xrander to full(!) range, enable kodi's Limited Range setting, turn off dithering (while it does not harm).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Keep up the good work guys hopefully we get more features
Which features are you thinking of in focus of video decoding and rendering?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
A quick question, as I got lost with the lots of new info.

Is Braswell working and supporting the following:

- non-4K content encoded with HEVC h.265 (1080p, 720p)? The hardware should be capable as per the specs. H.265/HEVC @ level 5 (GPU accelerated)
- is n3150 capable of Hi10P encoding without any problems?

Thanks!
(2015-07-07, 06:05)fritsch Wrote: If your beamer is full range:
Set xrandr to full range, disable kodi's Limited Range setting, turn on dithering with 8 bits.

If your beamer is limited range:
Set xrander to full(!) range, enable kodi's Limited Range setting, turn off dithering (while it does not harm).

fritsch, if you're beamer can do both full and limited range, which route gives the better picture quality? or is there no difference? I'm still not clear about this.

thanks!
if the beamer can run at full range, then use this.
Backend: Asrock N3150 with Ubuntu 22.04 Server with TvHeadend 
Living Room: Nvidia Shield with Kodi
Other Kodi Clients: Coreelec, Mibox, Windows
(2015-07-07, 11:18)tavoc Wrote: if the beamer can run at full range, then use this.

why? doesn't running full range mean that we're expanding the source from limited to full range? how could this be better?

would be thankful for an explanation!
(2015-07-07, 11:29)Hufvudet Wrote:
(2015-07-07, 11:18)tavoc Wrote: if the beamer can run at full range, then use this.

why? doesn't running full range mean that we're expanding the source from limited to full range? how could this be better?

With vaapi we have for the first time the chance that we can stay Limited. Yes full means expanding which might introduce artifacts, but with dithering those effects are minimized. So with this code in place both ways should be better than everything you had before.

Edit: something else - images (pictures from your digit cam which are full range), get downscaled color wise, when you display them with kodi's Limited Range setting, so here you loose information.
(2015-07-07, 11:59)fritsch Wrote:
(2015-07-07, 11:29)Hufvudet Wrote:

With vaapi we have for the first time the chance that we can stay Limited. Yes full means expanding which might introduce artifacts, but with dithering those effects are minimized. So with this code in place both ways should be better than everything you had before.

Edit: something else - images (pictures from your digit cam which are full range), get downscaled color wise, when you display them with kodi's Limited Range setting, so here you loose information.

Firstly, I'm very thankful for the work you guys have done! So if I understand this correctly:

- Going full range with xrandr, tv and kodi + dithering enabled: Best option if I watch my own photos + movies. Super small compromise with movies but dithering takes care of artifacts from expansion.

- Full range xrandr, limited kodi + tv: best option if I only watch movies - purest color handling with no expansion.

correct?
Yes.

(leaving out the NV12 to RGB conversion for now) :-)
gracias!

looing forward to learning more about this Smile

"(leaving out the NV12 to RGB conversion for now) :-)"
okay so I am a little confused.

I have always been using this:

- Full range xrandr, limited kodi + limited projector

I guess I thought I was going to be able to get rid of the limited kodi as the washed out blacks in Kodi are a bit annoying but no biggie.

Since I have always been doing this - should I really see a change? I assume there is nothing really different?

I could run full on the projector but I would have to switch for other sources so doesn't seem ideal.

Thanks!
Don't let us drift into religion ... just use some test samples and see if color range is as expected. ...

And again: this color discussion is only valid with our here given EGL build. All other kodi + vaapi does not work that way ...
  • 125(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416