• 126(current)
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
so just so I understand.
If I run:

- Full range xrandr, limited kodi + limited projector on your EGL build vs - Full range xrandr, limited kodi + limited projector with standard OE built form master

I could/should see a difference?
yes, you should. pre-EGL vaapi was not able to do yuv-RGB conversion in limited range.
got it - thanks!
(2015-07-07, 16:25)jjslegacy Wrote: okay so I am a little confused.

I have always been using this:

- Full range xrandr, limited kodi + limited projector

I guess I thought I was going to be able to get rid of the limited kodi as the washed out blacks in Kodi are a bit annoying but no biggie.

Since I have always been doing this - should I really see a change? I assume there is nothing really different?

I could run full on the projector but I would have to switch for other sources so doesn't seem ideal.

Thanks!

Washed out blacks are a sign that something is wrong in your configuration. The stuff being discussed here is about removing or minimising banding. Previous builds have had the capacity to get black levels right for both limited and full range displays.

A well set-up system should have black blacks...
The point is, now you don't need VAAPI GLX upscaling to full rgb and then again downscaling via the driver if you want to use e.g. VAAPI-MADI, MCDI. The only way to get real Limited out of the older version was to disable Prefer VAAPI Render Method and not using MCDI/MADI and so on ... also it was bypassed for 4k before.

EGL is the biggest advancement performance wise and feature wise we have see since ... *let me think a moment* ... for ever :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-07-07, 16:31)fritsch Wrote: Don't let us drift into religion ... just use some test samples and see if color range is as expected. ...

And again: this color discussion is only valid with our here given EGL build. All other kodi + vaapi does not work that way ...

(2015-07-07, 19:36)noggin Wrote:

I guess I thought I was going to be able to get rid of the limited kodi as the washed out blacks in Kodi are a bit annoying but no biggie.

Since I have always been doing this - should I really see a change? I assume there is nothing really different?

I could run full on the projector but I would have to switch for other sources so doesn't seem ideal.

Thanks!

Washed out blacks are a sign that something is wrong in your configuration. The stuff being discussed here is about removing or minimising banding. Previous builds have had the capacity to get black levels right for both limited and full range displays.

The washed out blacks are in the application itself - not in anything played - that all looks proper - when I force the limited setting in Kodi the app looks washed out - no crisis would be nice to not have to band-aid all of this but that's not going to happen.

The quality looks great playing movies - can't complain

Thanks!

just to make this clear.

this does not work for vaapi non-EGL. this is not only about banding but also about having foot and head room aka wtw, btb
(2015-07-07, 21:01)FernetMenta Wrote:

Thanks!

just to make this clear.

this does not work for vaapi non-EGL. this is not only about banding but also about having foot and head room aka wtw, btb

curious - what do you mean this doesn't work? That is how I have been running for a while and things looked proper as far as my testing had shown. I only use kodi to play bluray mkv uncompressed rips with the occassional SD rip.
BEFORE EGL

If you used VAAPI and VAAPI Prefer Render Method, Kodi's Limited Settings had absolutely _no_ influence on the video output, it was not touched at all - it was directly displayed with VAAPI.

This happens always on the old build, when:
- you use vaapi vpp (mcdi, madi, vaapi-bob) for e.g. interlaced media
- if Prefer VAAPI Render Method is turned on (even for normal progressive)
- if video is > 4k

The only way to get that going differently was to additionally disable "Prefer VAAPI Render Method" and not use anything of the above, cause the above would implicitely enable the VAAPI Render path again.

VAAPI has scaled to full range and was also used for display afterwards and directly output as full range.

See btw. the chromebox wiki for detailled explanation.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Now that there are some substantial performance improvements in the pipeline (many, many thanks to all of you involved in this voluntary task), is there a possibility to implement some more sharpening but apparently more CPU hungry upscaling options such as Spline36 or Spline64?
This can't have worked for the reason I gave. VAAPI pre-egl can only output full range (into the back buffer). So if you set the driver to full range too, the tv gets full range. having the tv set to limited results in wrong color. There is a little chance that this does not happen: very few tv sets observe info frames which convey the setting from the source to the sink.
Quote:Now that there are some substantial performance improvements in the pipeline (many, many thanks to all of you involved in this voluntary task), is there a possibility to implement some more sharpening but apparently more CPU hungry upscaling options such as Spline36 or Spline64?
If you do it, there is a possibility. If you don't do it ... it's very unlikely. It's not on my list.

Edit: I really hope you would not do this on the CPU at all ...
(2015-07-07, 21:13)FernetMenta Wrote: This can't have worked for the reason I gave. VAAPI pre-egl can only output full range (into the back buffer). So if you set the driver to full range too, the tv gets full range. having the tv set to limited results in wrong color. There is a little chance that this does not happen: very few tv sets observe info frames which convey the setting from the source to the sink.

You have the disabling of "Prefer VAAPI Render Method" in mind? That way we could get the NV12 via sse4 copy, too - but yes, that's not VAAPI for rendering then.
Yes sorry I had the prefer VAAPI render method off - changing too many things at once
Hmh, observing and feeling the excitement. Anybody out there who can comment on how these OE EGL builds compare to afedchin's DX11 builds for Win in terms of the video quality?
  • 126(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416