• 158(current)
Artwork Downloader
(2015-06-26, 17:45)Peranor Wrote: But the exact same problem happens with the default Confluence skin as well.

Which problem? The entire post you quoted lists several, and as stock Confluence has no support for clear-art I can only assume you're not claiming clear-art is an issue in Confluence, but whether it is or not it has nothing to do with this add-on.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I have a question to try and better my knowledge of Artwork Downloader. Please confirm if my understanding below:

When using local artwork, the add-on uses a simple file name stored in the video directory, ex. disc.png, logo.png, clearart.png

Kodi will recognize artwork, but not automatically install it, using a the full filename, exm Titanic-clearlogo.png, Titanic-clearart.png, Titanic-discart.png. When Kodi recognizes this artwork you can then manually add it as the default local artwork.

This is all correct?

If so, is it possible to have the add-on look for the -clearart.png type files instead of the simpler file names since Kodi already recognizes the full names?

Thanks!
(2015-07-07, 23:33)Dave the Minion Wrote: Kodi will recognize artwork, but not automatically install it, using a the full filename, exm Titanic-clearlogo.png, Titanic-clearart.png, Titanic-discart.png. When Kodi recognizes this artwork you can then manually add it as the default local artwork.

Once an artwork "type" has been added for one movie, that "type" will become available to you for all other movies.

So, once the "disc" artwork type is added for one movie (using Artwork Downloader), Kodi will then offer "disc" as an option in "Choose art" for all your other movies.

You can then manually add "disc" artwork to your movies, or continue to use Artwork Downloader to automatically add this artwork, but Kodi will not automatically recognise "disc" artwork no matter what naming convention you use.

(2015-07-07, 23:33)Dave the Minion Wrote: If so, is it possible to have the add-on look for the -clearart.png type files instead of the simpler file names since Kodi already recognizes the full names?[/i]

You mean you want Artwork Downloader to support the movie-name prefix naming convention - it's been asked for before, and I believe is on the list of things to do. Until it is supported you should not enable "Use local files".

An alternative tool for loading local artwork is mklocal.py (this post might be a little out of date so read the mklocal.py built-in help if this interests you) - it can be used to find local artwork and add it to your library, creating new artwork types if required, and it support movie-name prefix.

It can also be used to convert remote artwork to local artwork, which is useful when executing Artwork Downloader with "Use local files" disabled, ie. run Artwork Downloader with "Use local files disabled", followed by mklocal.py to convert remote artwork to local artwork optionally using the movie-name prefix naming convention. If you ever need to reload this artwork into a fresh library, just use mklocal.py (no need for AD).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I believe I understand what you've explained. On a new install Kodi won't recognize the extra art with - names on it's own and offer them as local art to add manually. I have to run the add-on, with the simple file names, for a minimum of 1 movie. That "activates" Kodi to know I want to use these extra arts with it's names but the add-on still only looks for the simple names. And of course if there is no local art with the simple names the add-on will search the web and download things automatically, which I very much do not want it to do.

So if that's how things work, I do not understand your following statement.

(2015-07-08, 00:00)Milhouse Wrote: You mean you want Artwork Downloader to support the movie-name prefix naming convention - it's been asked for before, and I believe is on the list of things to do. Until it is supported you should not enable "Use local files".

Why would I not want to use local files? I take a lot of time when adding a new movie to my library and I ensure it has all the artwork I want plus trailer and so on before I scrape it into my library. The only things I don't add manually myself are the poster and fanart for most things as the auto scraping tends to find good artwork for them. Once the movie is scraped and any changes to title, sort order, rating, studio etc. are made I export to individual art and nfo files. Then if something happens to my database I don't have to do anything but quickly re-scrape everything again.

It would be fantastic if Kodi added extra art automatically, even if it required selecting certain settings upon installation. I'm just trying to streamline the process for my dad and friends who aren't the most tech-savvy. So trying to understand as much as I can to find out what is and isn't possible.

Thanks!
(2015-07-08, 00:29)Dave the Minion Wrote: Why would I not want to use local files?

Because if you enable "Use local files" Artwork Downloader will create files called disc.png, and your reference to "Titanic-discart.png" made me think you were using the movie-name prefix naming convention which is not compatible with Artwork Downloader.

Typically users will use the movie-name prefix file naming convention when they have multiple movies in a single folder. In this situation, Artwork Downloader with "Use local files" enabled will create a file called "disc.png" and then associate this same file with every movie in the same folder, which is usually a bit of a disaster.

On the other hand, if you are storing single movies in their own folders, then creating files with the name "disc.png" is not a problem, although this may still not be what you expect if your local files are called "Titanic-discart.png" (or whatever).

(2015-07-08, 00:29)Dave the Minion Wrote: Then if something happens to my database I don't have to do anything but quickly re-scrape everything again.

You'll still need to run AD to scrape the non-standard artwork (disc, clearart etc.) into your library.

And if you're using the movie-name prefix convention - I don't recall what convention the Library Export creates, is it movie-name prefix or not? - then AD will not help you as it doesn't support that naming convention. If you were to enable "Use local files" expecting it to find your movie-name prefix files, AD would instead dump new "simple" - ie. disc.png - named files into your file system and library, leaving you with duplicate artwork files.
Thanks for your input, but I think you are a little confused. That may be due to not understanding my entire situation which I don't believe I explained in full detail.

Currently I procure all the extra art for all movies (and TV Shows) before I scrape them. All movies are in separate folders with the same movie name for the folder name. I have to include 2 versions of the extra art to get everything to work "right". I use the simple names like disc.png so that if/when I run Artwork Downloader it will find and install that art. I also use the Titanic-discart.png name for a duplicate of the same image file so if I only add 1 new movie I can manually manage it and add those extra art myself. Kodi recognizes the filename-art.png file, but as you explained it first required at minimum 1 movie scraped into Kodi and then "scanned" by Artwork Downloader to "activate" Kodi to look for and give access to this art. So I have redundant extra art for every movie because Artwork Downloader and Kodi don't work in harmony here.

That is why your insistence of turning off local files confused me so much. All my extra art which I require Artwork Downloader for IS local. I do not want the add-on searching the internet for the artwork.

If you only use the simple file names that Artwork Downloader requires then Kodi won't "see" those files by default if you want to manually mange the art yourself. You can browse for them in the item folder but by default there is no artwork listed by Kodi. Also, if you add the art through Artwork Downloader with the simple names and then do an export library of all art to individual files, Kodi will export some of the extra art using the filename-discart.png names. But it doesn't export all the art and what it does or does not export seems to be random. Everything for 1 movie, just the logo for the next, then logo and clearart, or just the disc and so on. It's oddly random.

What would be great is if Artwork Downloader could use the same filename-artwork.png names like Kodi does. Obviously all the filename parts are going to be different but if it's looking for the -discart.png and such as part of the file name and then added it automatically the need for duplicate files wouldn't exist. I was curious if there was some way in Artwork Downloader to change this, to have it look for say Supercalifragalisticexpialidoucious.png instead of disc.png to load the disc art. In theory making it -discart.png or *-discart.png would hopefully obtain the same result.

Apologies for the long post. Just trying to be more clear on my set-up and my query. The double files isn't the end of the world but would be awesome if all the files in the movie folder followed the same convention and both Artwork Downloader and Kodi worked in harmony.
To be honest, as long as you're able to run a Python script from the command line, you'd be better of with mklocal.py as you wouldn't then need to maintain all of these duplicate artwork files. mklocal.py is also a helluva lot quicker than Artwork Downloader, which you would no longer need to use ever again.

If you're interested in mklocal.py, give it a go and if you get stuck post in the thread in my sig. If not, then Artwork Downloader is your only other option and you'll have to continue working around it's shortcomings.
I'm having an issue with 'an unsolicited logo' being placed over all my sub folders, this has happened over 3 builds from XBMC 13.2 through Kodi 15 RC1, In the past I've solved this issue with laborious manual deletion of all the offending logo instances by size in my ever expanding thumbnail directory, and manually adding logos as new material is accumulated. Most recently I decided to re-scan with Artwork Downloader and found these unwanted logo's again. The thought of wasting another evening deleting this unwanted single logo is terrifying, I would have thought the offender would have been nailed by now, unsure who or what the culprit is. I suppose I can hold my nose and try to ignore, or just delete the addition of logos but that would seem like a regressive step, akin to throwing in the towel.

Any information to this issue would be appreciated.
(2015-07-08, 02:33)Milhouse Wrote: To be honest, as long as you're able to run a Python script from the command line, you'd be better of with mklocal.py as you wouldn't then need to maintain all of these duplicate artwork files. mklocal.py is also a helluva lot quicker than Artwork Downloader, which you would no longer need to use ever again.

If you're interested in mklocal.py, give it a go and if you get stuck post in the thread in my sig. If not, then Artwork Downloader is your only other option and you'll have to continue working around it's shortcomings.

For myself, I can do many things. In general, unless I am adding a ton of new movies at once I update all the artwork manually myself. I still need the redundant files in case of failures though.

However I maintain Kodi systems for my parents and friends and they aren't all that computer smart. Currently they can understand updating their library, which then runs Artwork Downloader immediately after automatically. It works, but it's slow because it's scanning everything. They get almost everything from me via emails or fttp portable hard drive. I ship a drive through inter-company mail back and fourth with a real good friend of mine but he's barely able to copy the files to his hard drive and then run the Kodi update. So just spending some time in the cool basement to see if it's possible to make things even simpler.

I don't know much about Python but I found in the art-list.py file instances for the artwork names, specifically disc.png, logo.png and clearart.png. If I change these to -discart.png and such will Artwork Downloader now add the filename-discart.png files? I'm sure there has to be a way to have it ignore the filename portion but I'm not sure the syntax. I'll play around and see what I can get to work.
(2015-07-08, 02:51)Dave the Minion Wrote: I still need the redundant files in case of failures though.

They're not really required at all, you only have them because (IMHO) you're using the wrong tools for the job.

(2015-07-08, 02:51)Dave the Minion Wrote: However I maintain Kodi systems for my parents and friends and they aren't all that computer smart.
Yep, so do I, and my parents and bothers are also not that computer smart which is why *everything* runs automatically so that neither I nor they need to do anything.

GUIs have their limitations, such as forcing you to "train" users to perform specific arcane tasks every once in a while (they always forget what you tell them when they need to eventually perform the actions), whereas scripts can run without any user intervention, automatically. You could even configure your systems so that maintenance tasks (assigning new artwork etc.) are performed as and when the system boots (you could run the tasks in the background so that Kodi startup isn't delayed). You might also want to think about sorting out some remote access, as this makes life so much easier... assuming your folks have internet access of course!

But hey, whatever you're most comfortable with.

(2015-07-08, 02:51)Dave the Minion Wrote: If I change these to -discart.png and such will Artwork Downloader now add the filename-discart.png files?

No. Artwork Downloader has no support for movie-name prefix.

(2015-07-08, 02:51)Dave the Minion Wrote: I'm sure there has to be a way to have it ignore the filename portion but I'm not sure the syntax. I'll play around and see what I can get to work.

I'm sure it's possible, but you'll be left with an unsupported forked addon that may or may not work well. Alternatively you could just run a script and forget about AD entirely.
I looked at your mklocal.py which seems to be a lot of code to enter into the command line. How does this make my situation easier? It's not an add-on for Kodi with a 1 button solution, is it? If so then color me (more) confused

I can edit the art_list.py file to make Artwork Downloader look for any other filename I'd like but it only works now with specific filenames. I'm trying to figure out how to get it to look for -clearart.png locally while ignoring the filename portion. Does anyone know how this works in Python?

I understand this fork to Artwork Downloader isn't supported, but it it's simply making 3 small changes to get it to do what I need I don't mind. It shouldn't mess up other things (hopefully).
(2015-07-08, 04:20)Dave the Minion Wrote: I looked at your mklocal.py which seems to be a lot of code to enter into the command line. How does this make my situation easier? It's not an add-on for Kodi with a 1 button solution, is it? If so then color me (more) confused

It's at most two lines of "code"! I thought I'd explained it clearly enough, but now I see there's no point continuing to flog this dead horse as you don't seem able to grasp the concept of a "script"and what that means outside of a point & click GUI.

(2015-07-08, 02:51)Dave the Minion Wrote: For myself, I can do many things.

Sure... click here, click there, clever Minion... Wink
(2015-07-08, 04:44)Milhouse Wrote:
(2015-07-08, 04:20)Dave the Minion Wrote: I looked at your mklocal.py which seems to be a lot of code to enter into the command line. How does this make my situation easier? It's not an add-on for Kodi with a 1 button solution, is it? If so then color me (more) confused

It's at most two lines of "code"! I thought I'd explained it clearly enough, but now I see there's no point continuing to flog this dead horse as you don't seem able to grasp the concept of a "script"and what that means outside of a point & click GUI.

(2015-07-08, 02:51)Dave the Minion Wrote: For myself, I can do many things.

Sure... click here, click there, clever Minion... Wink

Why are you being insulting?

I am trying to make something that's a little complicated even easier. You keep insisting I use your script. But your script, from what I could gather upon a quick read, isn't a solution for my friends who have no idea what a command line is. They need to click here and click there. That's what Artwork Downloader currently does for them. It just requires I have 2 versions of the same artwork files stored locally. I'd like to eliminate 1 of those versions.

I don't understand your negativity. If you have a simple solution like I am looking for then feel free to offer assistance. But there's no need to be immature because someone is asking some questions to help them self better understand something.

And to this point, no you haven't explained anything clearly. You just keep promoting your script and opinion of it's superiority but haven't shown just what I need to do and how it will work in my situation that is your be-all-end-all solution to my query.

Does your script have the ability to scan my folders and apply the extra art based on the way Kodi names the files either when I initially scrape the new movies or when I click a button within Kodi? If not, then I am sorry but your script isn't the solution I am looking for. Apologies if that hurts your feelings for some odd reason.
For reference, it was mention earlier in this thread:
Library export names the files moviename-logo. png etc ...
Yet library import ignores these artwork files.

I believe this was why it was asked for Artwork Downloader to be able to use this naming convention so duplicate artwork wasn't stored locally.
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion
(2015-07-08, 05:14)vbat99 Wrote: For reference, it was mention earlier in this thread:
Library export names the files moviename-logo. png etc ...
Yet library import ignores these artwork files.

I believe this was why it was asked for Artwork Downloader to be able to use this naming convention so duplicate artwork wasn't stored locally.

That's exactly what I am asking.

Rather now that I understand who Artwork Downloader works and what dictates the filenames it looks for, I am looking for someone with Python knowledge who can answer a question so I can make a change to the Artwork Downloader script myself.

Code:
{'media_type': 'movie',
                           'bulk_enabled': setting.get('movie_clearart'),
                           'solo_enabled': 'true',
                           'gui_string': 32125,
                           'art_type': 'clearart',
                           'filename': 'clearart.png'},

If I change the filename from 'clearart.png' to '-clearart.png' I need to understand what I enter so the movie title part of the filename is ignored. So for Titanic-clearart.png Artwork Downloader needs to scan for just -clearart.png and ignore Titanic. If I was doing a search in explorer it would be *-clearart.png. But this doesn't work in Python code. So if anyone knows I greatly appreciate the help!
  • 158(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artwork Downloader18