• 32(current)
Vero OSMC
It's been a while since there has been any discussion of the Vero with OSMC. Hopefully everyone has cooled off and the discussion can remain civil.

Based on previous discussions, it is clear that the Vero hardware is very similar if not identical to the Cubox-i2 with optional bluetooth and 802.11. That being the case, the logical question for potential buyers is what does the extra $100 or so provide with the Vero that isn't available with the Cubox.

Builing on what Koying said regarding Kodi and imx6, what does 3 years of support mean? From the OSMC forums, it looks like the plan is to release Isgengard for Vero/OSMC when it is final. As there is a major Kodi release about once a year, does this mean that the J and K Kodi releases will be made available for the Vero as well? Does the Vero receive preference for fixes or new features in OSMC (in my opinion it should)?

Is there a help ticket/tracking system available for Vero customers? Other consumer products like the HD Homerun Prime have both forums for customers and non-customers to participate in as well as a help ticket system for customers. Based on the OSMC forum posts, it seems like there is not a help ticket system for Vero owners. If there is not a ticket system, there should be. I've seen some very rude comments aimed at paying customers in the OSMC Vero forum (and from people associated with OSMC).

With the Vero released for ~4 months now and OSMC recently going stable, when is it reasonable to expect these issues to be resolved:

Wireless range/performance (https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/very-slow-wi...ro/3392/32 https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/help-me-unde...ies/5733/4)

Video playback performance (https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/dvd-iso-mpeg...py/2617/58 https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/vero-play-ba...ssues/5450)

UI performance (https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/jerky-ui-aft...se/5241/10)

Until (if?) those issues are resolved, should the return policy (https://osmc.tv/shop/returns-policy) be modified so that customers can return the device if it is unsuitable for their use case due to wireless issues, playback performance of 1080i50, etc.? At the moment it looks like the Vero cannot be returned if it has ever been powered on AND it must be returned within 14 days of receipt. That is not a very customer-friendly return policy and I've seen at least 2 Vero owners offering their devices for sale.
Some issues might be resolved, some might be a limit of the hardware. I'm sure the UK has certain regulations/consumer rights about that for those who specifically purchased the device if they were promised those specific features, and such rights are not limited to the conditions listed on the OSMC website.

It's still no worse off than the average Android box that is out there being sold today, if not better. It meets most people's needs and will work just fine for years to come. Development for the chipset might be at a deadend, but that doesn't mean support will be ripped out right away. No one is in a rush to remove hardware decoding support for imx6, so I wouldn't worry about that until the day it stands in the way of some other issue/fix or otherwise becomes a burden.
(2015-07-12, 02:38)Ned Scott Wrote: Some issues might be resolved, some might be a limit of the hardware. I'm sure the UK has certain regulations/consumer rights about that for those who specifically purchased the device if they were promised those specific features, and such rights are not limited to the conditions listed on the OSMC website.

Yep - in the UK, if you buy online or over the phone (i.e. not in person) you have a 14 day period to cancel your order (exceptions for CDs and DVDs which have had seals broken etc.) and return the items. This isn't dependent on whether you think you have been misled - you can do it for any 'distance sold' product or service.
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/r...egulations
(2015-07-12, 02:38)Ned Scott Wrote: It's still no worse off than the average Android box that is out there being sold today, if not better. It meets most people's needs and will work just fine for years to come. Development for the chipset might be at a deadend, but that doesn't mean support will be ripped out right away. No one is in a rush to remove hardware decoding support for imx6, so I wouldn't worry about that until the day it stands in the way of some other issue/fix or otherwise becomes a burden.

Course the difference is the average Android box isn't priced anywhere even close to $200. Again, the question is what does the extra ~$100 get a consumer with Vero that can't be had with a Cubox.
ohh we are still bitching about the price, ill come back in a couple months see if we moved on from that subject
(2015-07-12, 05:11)zaphod24 Wrote: Course the difference is the average Android box isn't priced anywhere even close to $200. Again, the question is what does the extra ~$100 get a consumer with Vero that can't be had with a Cubox.

My point is in regards imx6 support and the recent news about its limitations. imx6 development has hit a brick wall (as far as we can tell), but owners of imx6 hardware shouldn't freak out. It's not like they're going to catch on fire and burn your house down. Hopefully.
(2015-07-12, 05:11)zaphod24 Wrote:
(2015-07-12, 02:38)Ned Scott Wrote: It's still no worse off than the average Android box that is out there being sold today, if not better. It meets most people's needs and will work just fine for years to come. Development for the chipset might be at a deadend, but that doesn't mean support will be ripped out right away. No one is in a rush to remove hardware decoding support for imx6, so I wouldn't worry about that until the day it stands in the way of some other issue/fix or otherwise becomes a burden.

Course the difference is the average Android box isn't priced anywhere even close to $200. Again, the question is what does the extra ~$100 get a consumer with Vero that can't be had with a Cubox.

OSMC only runs on the vero - so the 100 dollars is for running osmc ... or in other words: you support osmc, its community, their developers with 100$ when you buy one ... one cannot say anything about the pricetag (as I already have told lots of times earlier, it's a business model) ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-07-12, 09:08)fritsch Wrote: OSMC only runs on the vero.

WTF?

OSMC runs on a couple hundred thousand Raspberry Pis.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/osmc-stable-release/
Man .... I try again: when you want to use imx hardware and want to run OSMC, you need to buy the vero - cause other IMX hardware is not supported yet.

Ah btw. I talked with sam about the stats four weeks ago ... they will get better the next months, when you stop counting "different ips" that use the update server, cause every client that gets a new ip is counted again.

Edit: I was not fully correct. This box here: https://www.tecsetter.de/SolidRun-CuBox-...d-Netzteil runs without any modification as it is the vero in black.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Again with the dickish behaviour.

And you guys wonder why the press never seems to bother paying you attention?
The press that never tested a vero?
(2015-07-12, 10:31)Karnagious Wrote: And you guys wonder why the press never seems to bother paying you attention?

The fact that Sam is better than us at PR (at least from a UK perspective) has never been contentious Wink
(2015-07-12, 10:33)fritsch Wrote: The press that never tested a vero?

Them. Plus those that did.
(2015-07-12, 10:38)Koying Wrote:
(2015-07-12, 10:31)Karnagious Wrote: And you guys wonder why the press never seems to bother paying you attention?

The fact that Sam is better than us at PR (at least from a UK perspective) has never been contentious Wink

Better than who exactly?
(2015-07-12, 10:31)Karnagious Wrote: Again with the dickish behaviour.

And you guys wonder why the press never seems to bother paying you attention?

But now, explain me. What is dickish behaviour here? Is it forbidden to say, that the vero has hardware incapabilities that are never going to be fixed? That this GC880 dual core is even too slow to play DVD images even with all of his two cores used? That it is not able to play LiveTV content in double rate that even ATV1 does - standard television? That the wireless is so fucked up, that it's unusable for streaming? Even the spdif cable does not fit into the plug ... That it's not possible to render even the normal skin with > 48 fps over time. Disable dirty region and watch the sysinfo page ...

Am I really a dick, cause after having written a lot of code for _your_ device, even prepared the patches for you, that it is running "at all" ... that makes me a dick?

Sorry, if one is not allowed to say the truth: That you are selling here a box, that will never do what it's spec promis - this is dickish behaviour? Sorry, man - but what you are doing here is a rip-off. A former poster has linked at least 3 threads, that are open, not fixed since several months - and the worse here: that stuff is not fixable, cause the hw is not capable of doing it.

Do I really need to buy a vero and send it to some techsite, that will test it with everyday content? Compared to a Pi2?

What's your problem? It's a big shame, that you always try to sidetrack the discussion when you have very big hw and sw issues with your flagship device - that was known long before your started to ship ...

Concerning the press: Give me any link from a known testing site, that tested the vero ...
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vero OSMC11