• 3(current)
v15 OSD Erratic Behavior
(2015-07-21, 16:37)averylinden Wrote: I have the same types of problems reported in this post using an Asus Chromebox and a Pulse-Eight CEC adapter. It started after an upgrade to OpenELEC 6 beta 2. After some troubleshooting I eventually did a clean re-install but it didn't fix the issue and had to revert back to 5.0.8 as the setup wasn't useable. My complete setup is:

Asus Chromebox M004U
Yamaha RX-V671 AVR (connected via HDMI ARC)
Pulse-Eight CEC Adapter
Logitech Harmony Home Control Universal Remote (IR to TV -> CEC control)
Panasonic Viera E50 TV
OpenElec 6 Beta 2

I also have an Amazon Fire TV stick connected to the same AVR and TV. Isengard RC2 is installed on it and controlled via the Logitech Harmony paired via Bluetooth. It doesn't have any issues.

So the main differences are OpenElec/Kodi and CEC/Bluetooth control. I will have to try OpenElec 6 on my raspberry pi on the same AVR/TV and see if there are any problems.

yeah i too use a harmony remote connected via bluetooth but i know for certain that isn't the problem. i can also use my flirc with an IR based remote and the same problem occurs. it will also happen using the app.

additionally, my setup uses both outputs of the chromebox - the hdmi goes to my theater downstairs running through my denon receiver and the upstairs tv is connected via displayport direct to the tv. the issue occurs on both outputs.

i can't see this being any type of hardware problem but who knows.
This has got to be one of the most annoying bugs I have ever experienced. I just formatted and installed Ubuntu 15.04 (I came from an older version) and the same issue still occurs on a completely fresh system.

I use a Logitech diNovo Mini connected via Bluetooth, but the very same bug occurs on my other system that uses an IR based Logitech Harmony. I'm not really sure how to debug this, as there's really nothing of value to be found in the debug log.

Here's my dmesg:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/11916595/

Debug log when starting Kodi:
http://xbmclogs.com/ptdbbipqy

I've also opened a ticket on the bug tracker:
http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/16144
(2015-07-21, 22:47)dahlSTROM Wrote: This has got to be one of the most annoying bugs I have ever experienced. I just formatted and installed Ubuntu 15.04 (I came from an older version) and the same issue still occurs on a completely fresh system.

I use a Logitech diNovo Mini connected via Bluetooth, but the very same bug occurs on my other system that uses an IR based Logitech Harmony. I'm not really sure how to debug this, as there's really nothing of value to be found in the debug log.

Here's my dmesg:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/11916595/

Debug log when starting Kodi:
http://xbmclogs.com/ptdbbipqy

I've also opened a ticket on the bug tracker:
http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/16144

awesome, glad to see more people making it aware that this problem exists. it has truly baffled me and staying with any post Helix version of Kodi has pretty much been unusable. I hope they figure out what is causing it.
See if this happens with the following advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file, which should disable dirty regions rendering:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <gui>
    <algorithmdirtyregions>0</algorithmdirtyregions>
    <nofliptimeout>-1</nofliptimeout>
  </gui>
</advancedsettings>
(2015-07-22, 04:04)Ned Scott Wrote: See if this happens with the following advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file, which should disable dirty regions rendering:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <gui>
  </gui>
</advancedsettings>

will test and report back. thanks so much for trying to help
early results looking very promising!!
Aye, I remembered that there were changes done for the OSD for dirty regions. Dirty regions is a way for Kodi to only render changes in the GUI, instead of re-rending the entire GUI as fast as possible, which is slow on low-power devices (which happens because of Kodi's old xbox roots, using something called a "game loop", I'm told).

However, if it misbehaves then that can cause exactly what you are seeing. Things that are not disappearing off screen, or that get distorted, etc. I'm sure our devs will want to try to fix this if possible, but many HTPCs have enough CPU power to easily handle dirty regions being turned off or turned down.
I got a chance to hook up my raspberry pi 1 to my setup to test this. It was running openelec 5.95.2 and I upgraded it to 5.95.3. I can't reproduce the behavior I was seeing with openelec on the chromebox.
I was going to same the same thing as Ned after reading this thread, but it seems he beat me to it.

@dahlSTROM: which element gets stuck on the screen in your log? The log is only a few seconds long.
Is the lowest common factor a linux system with nvidia GPU? (at least from reading the posts i have the feeling only nvidia on linux has this issue).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
@Memphiz some said they use a Chromebox which uses Intel graphics.
Ahh ok ... Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-07-22, 04:04)Ned Scott Wrote: See if this happens with the following advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file, which should disable dirty regions rendering:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <gui>
  </gui>
</advancedsettings>

I have made this change on my system and I will test and report back
sadly, unless i made the advancedsettings file incorrectly this does not fix the problem as today after sitting on overnight it is back with a vengeance.

the problem takes awhile to appear after booting up and i had only a few hours to mess around last night.

maybe (hopefully) my advancedsettings file is bad though. i already had one in there and just made a brand new file with only the new dirty regions settings. the other advancedsettings file gets made by the video extras addon.
Try adding them together, so there is only one file, but with only one set of <advancedsettings> tags.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSD Erratic Behavior1