• 101(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
Hey guys has anyone with an atv520 gotten ember 2 installed? I'm on 1.0.1 but when I put in my donor code and hit system update it still says server not available. I was hoping that 1.0.1 solved this issue but I guess not Sad
(2015-07-20, 05:17)redi Wrote: Hey guys has anyone with an atv520 gotten ember 2 installed? I'm on 1.0.1 but when I put in my donor code and hit system update it still says server not available. I was hoping that 1.0.1 solved this issue but I guess not Sad
Hey redo.
This is a bug that will need to be fixed with a manual install. We are working on public release ATM. Please be patient. Shouldn't be more than a week and you'll be sorted.
thanks Josh, appreciate it!

the only bug I found with 1.0.1 is that the shut down command via remote isn't shutting down kodi anymore (it does work to start it back up). I haven't done any keylogging to see what's being sent, via the menu it works fine, and with 1.0.0 the shut down worked fine.

not a huge deal, but worth mentioning. I know others have posted about it.

(2015-07-20, 05:24)Josh.5 Wrote:
(2015-07-20, 05:17)redi Wrote: Hey guys has anyone with an atv520 gotten ember 2 installed? I'm on 1.0.1 but when I put in my donor code and hit system update it still says server not available. I was hoping that 1.0.1 solved this issue but I guess not Sad
Hey redo.
This is a bug that will need to be fixed with a manual install. We are working on public release ATM. Please be patient. Shouldn't be more than a week and you'll be sorted.
A friend of mine has just brought a brand new Samsung Series 6 curved screen 55" Smart TV and I have to say it is stunningly impressive. So he asked me to update his MyGica ATV1200 Linux Gotham 13.2 box to the latest KODI Helix 14.2 MX Linux version. Which I did for him and restored with ROb Weber's Backup my latest basic set-up of add-ons and configurations. All appeared to be working just fine as expected.

However a weird fault I have never seen before arose when I tested it all out for him. There was no way I could change the resolution from the greyed out 720p option. Tried everything like changing HDMI leads, HDMI ports on the TV, powering all off and back on again with the ATV1200 box powered on last of course. No way could I get his box to change to 1080i or 1080p. There is no way he knows whether he was getting 720 or 1080 with the box in Gotham as he only just got the TV and never checked and 720 looks great anyway. So we tried it on his older (only last year's model) 40" Samsung TV now in the bedroom and the ATV1200 box had no problem as usual being able to change resolution in the System settings. to 720 or 1080. But as soon as we returned the now 1080 set up box to the new Series 6 TV it went back to 720 and was greyed out again HuhHuhHuhHuh?

Tried his old MyGica A11 single core box now running Linux Hydra 2 Helix 14.0 and that had no problem changing to 1080 resolution though of course as we know those older boxes only support 720 and any 1080 reported is in fact up-scaled 720. But at least we could change the resolution settings Huh Obviously having paid out all this money for his superb new 55" TV, he would rather like it to be able to display true 1080 res from the MyGica ATV1200 box.

Never had this baffling problem before and could find no relevant options in the TV configuration settings, which are currently left set to default. Can anyone please shed any light on this strange problem please ??
Cheers
Raymw
I know it's a shot on the dark but have you tried setting the video settings to default again and see if the resolution options come back.
I found a few times after using the backup Addon that I coikdnt change the resolution unless I reset the setting to default.
(2015-07-24, 15:08)ed_davidson Wrote: I know it's a shot on the dark but have you tried setting the video settings to default again and see if the resolution options come back.
I found a few times after using the backup Addon that I coikdnt change the resolution unless I reset the setting to default.

Thanks Ed for the tip but got him to try that over the phone but only did it the once and rebooted. It came back still with 720p res greyed out and strangely even after resetting the video settings to default the Screen Calibration had not changed at all, very weird Huh? I yesterday also re-flashed the box to confirm my initial flash was not corrupted using the usual MX Linux Helix 14.2 of Auxbox's April compile, which has always been really solid on all other boxes I have flashed. His new TV model he confirmed is a Samsung Series 6 model 6300 55" with no 3D but Smart internet built in and a curved screen too, very nice indeed. This one has stumped me for sure HuhHuh

Going to take a brand new ATV1220 box around there over the weekend and try that out using exactly the same MX Linux KODI Helix 14.2 compile. If the problem persists then it has to be a quirk with the new TV so we will take it up with Samsung here..
Cheers
Raymw
EmbER v2.0.2 available for download at http://ember-dev.com/downloads/
@ray - the box reads the display capabilities from the HDMI port. If it doesn't get anything it will default to 720p. You can confirm this by logging on with PuTTY and typing:

cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap

which will display what can be read from the HDMI port.

You should see something like this if it's working correctly, and you'd get to pick from these modes.

480i
480p
576i
576p
720p
1080i
1080p
720p50hz
1080i50hz*
1080p50hz

I have read that some HDMI cables don't work correctly and a cheap fix is to use an HDMI coupler.

I have also just spotted a commit that allows you to specify a disp_cap file in the userdata folder that will be read in preference to the HDMI device. This fix is to address exactly your issue so create a file called disp_cap with the entries above and see if it makes any difference.

EDIT: it looks as though this commit is not in 14.2 or even 15.0 so it would need to be patched into a custom build. Commit is here
https://github.com/pmos69/xbmc/commit/6c...a2c56a8bb1
(2015-07-28, 15:21)Josh.5 Wrote: EmbER v2.0.2 available for download at http://ember-dev.com/downloads/

FYI, I Just installed 2.0.2 overtop of 1.0.1. it installed fine but i'm getting a script error on system settings, so i have no network connectivity and i can't run the ember settings at all. i booted to recovery, cleared all data and cache but that didn't help.

i'm going to try revert to android, and then try reflashing 2.0.2. if that doesn't work i'll try to get back to 1.0.1 somehow Sad

UPDATE:

revert to android doesn't work on the 520. however I was able to reflash 1.0.1 at least Smile

i'll stay away from 2.0.2 for now.
@AuXBoX Any plans for an Isengard MX Linux build?
(2015-07-29, 04:42)redi Wrote:
(2015-07-28, 15:21)Josh.5 Wrote: EmbER v2.0.2 available for download at http://ember-dev.com/downloads/

FYI, I Just installed 2.0.2 overtop of 1.0.1. it installed fine but i'm getting a script error on system settings, so i have no network connectivity and i can't run the ember settings at all. i booted to recovery, cleared all data and cache but that didn't help.

I have the same issue! I was hoping to ssh to grab the log but, well, no network as you said.

I'm willing to hold tight on 2.0.2 if someone can provide some insight on a fix.
(2015-07-29, 05:06)Grand Total Wrote: @AuXBoX Any plans for an Isengard MX Linux build?

I'll post one over the weekend hopefully
Press THANK USER if I Help
Cannot unleash DE edition on Ember V2.0.2. Anyone facing this issue?Sad
@Josh

I successfully installed 2.0.2 over 1.0.1, but WiFi would not connect in the initial setup as it kept rejecting the password, but worked fine from the EmbER settings tool after I rebooted. I also had quite a few problems connecting to my NAS over SMB: sometimes it would work and others it would timeout with "invalid argument" error. I've never ever had any problems before with SMB whether it be Android, MX Linux, OpenELEC, or even EmbER 1.0.1.

I was slightly disappointed to see that the Confluence skin has been removed and a new donate nag screen had been added. It must have worked though because after 3 reboots, I donated :-) Still got the 250ms audio sync problem in some streams which is a minor annoyance, but I think I got everything working as it was (apart from maybe SMB which I need to test more).

Thanks for your work in helping to keep these boxes alive.
(2015-07-28, 16:07)bobones Wrote: @ray - the box reads the display capabilities from the HDMI port. If it doesn't get anything it will default to 720p. You can confirm this by logging on with PuTTY and typing:

cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap

which will display what can be read from the HDMI port.

You should see something like this if it's working correctly, and you'd get to pick from these modes.

480i
480p
576i
576p
720p
1080i
1080p
720p50hz
1080i50hz*
1080p50hz

I have read that some HDMI cables don't work correctly and a cheap fix is to use an HDMI coupler.

I have also just spotted a commit that allows you to specify a disp_cap file in the userdata folder that will be read in preference to the HDMI device. This fix is to address exactly your issue so create a file called disp_cap with the entries above and see if it makes any difference.

EDIT: it looks as though this commit is not in 14.2 or even 15.0 so it would need to be patched into a custom build. Commit is here
https://github.com/pmos69/xbmc/commit/6c...a2c56a8bb1

Thank you so much Bobones for that. Yes I realised the HDMI does handshake of course as it si a two way comms link of course. And knew these days the KODI builds do default to 720p res if no handshaking is detected form the HDMI port which is sensible to endure a non full HD display will still get a signal it can read.

Shame about the commit not being in 14.2 or even the new 15.0 either so as I am not capable of producing a custom build this will then not be possible for now.

Strange thing is I took a brand new ATV1220 box (which I understand the basic hardware is the same as his troublesome ATV1200 box) and that had no problem at all reconfiguring to his new Samsung J6300 55" curved screen TV and we could easily and readily change resolution on that in the usual System|Settings|System area as normal. This ATV1220 has the same MX Linux build Helix 14.2 as the ATV1200 box too so very very baffling indeed. As I think I said this ATV1200 box will readily change resolution on his older (only last years model) Samsung 40" set. So I took his ATV1200 box home and had no problem with it working to my 4 year old but still excellent Samsung 46" Series 6, but anyway to be safe I completely reverted his box back to Android and re-flashed it anew to MX Linux Helix 14.2 compile of April 14th 2015 (same as it had before) and reconfigured it all for him . Took it back to his house and it still will not work with changing screen res on his new J6300 TV just greyed out with 720p mode. :-(

Have tried two standard el cheapo standard HDMI leads (the ones that come with the ATV1200/1220 boxes), which made no difference and yet both worked fine on his older 40" TV. Could try a better quality HDMI lead but not hopeful on that score. He may take one of the new ATV1220 boxes I set up for him for his new J6300 TV and use the older ATV1200 on his older 40" TV in his bedroom instead of the really old single core MyGica A11 box. I particularly want to get this right for him though as he is a local friend of mine and need to know where the problem lies in case I get this very unusual baffling problem again.

Getting another ATV1200 box in for upgrading next week so could quickly take it around to his house to test that to his J6300 TV to see if that one has this same problem with the same Linux Helix14.2 compile.
Cheers
Raymw
  • 101(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5