• 68(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
Why Use HDR Tone Mapping for Your Display?

Most current true HDR display panels with at least 500 nits or more of peak luminance do a reliable job of following the PQ EOTF 1:1 up to PQ reference white (100 nits) and can provide accurate source luminance tracking for the majority of the source values — It is an unknown fact that 90% or more of PQ HDR video is encoded below 100 nits. Where most HDR10 displays struggle is with the trade-offs involved in handling the smaller number of brighter source values that are mastered with brightness levels that are well above the capabilities of the display. This is mostly a consequence of the static nature of the open-source HDR10 standard that provides the display with a single HDR10 metadata value to summarize the mastered peak nits of the entire video runtime — The Maximum Content Light Level (MaxCLL), or if the MaxCLL is missing, the mastering display maximum luminance.

Many HDR displays will assume the brightest source pixels captured by the source metadata only represent a limited portion of the overall picture or a limited timeframe of the full movie and will choose to use a tone curve that clips only the brightest specular highlights in many scenes. For most displays, these are highlights mastered above 1,000 peak nits, but some HDR displays may clip highlight detail as early as 600-700 nits. This keeps the overall Average Picture Level (APL) consistently brighter, but loses all specular highlight detail mastered above the display's clipping point.

Other HDR displays will attempt to retain all specular highlight detail in the source file and will use a harsh tone curve that captures the full MaxCLL by setting a lower roll-off point on the display curve that darkens all scenes with frame peaks that are well below this MaxCLL. This presents much of the movie as darker than intended with distorted contrast and less optimized tone mapping for dim and mid-bright scenes.

By selecting tone map HDR with pixel shaders and checking output video in HDR format, madVR will compress any source levels that are mastered above the real display peak nits entered in madVR and send all compressed HDR PQ source values to the display. As the source levels rise above the real display peak nits, madVR smoothly curves them back into the display range. For any HDR display 480 nits or brighter, this tone mapping is only applied to the specular highlights mastered above 100 nits. The HDR metadata sent to the display to trigger its HDR mode is also altered to reflect the source peak after tone mapping, which is matched to the provided real display peak nits.

Compressing all source levels to match the real display peak nits benefits the display in two ways. It keeps all specular highlight detail within the display range at all times without any highlight clipping while not impacting most of the remaining image. It is also prevents the display from choosing a harsh tone curve for titles with high MaxCLLs, such as 4,000 nits or 10,000 nits, by reporting a lower source maximum frame peak luminance to the display. Tone mapping is applied dynamically for each movie scene, so only specular highlights with levels above the entered real display peak nits are compressed back into range and the rest of the image remains identical to HDR passthrough. The ability to compress HDR highlights too bright for the display is very similar to the HDR Optimiser found on the Panasonic UB820/UB9000 Blu-ray players.

Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark 10,000 nits MaxCLL Demo Footage (HDR10 Passthrough)

LG C8's Static Tone Mapping:

LG C8's Static Tone Mapping + madVR's Dynamic Tone Mapping:

LG C8's Static Tone Mapping:

LG C8's Static Tone Mapping + madVR's Dynamic Tone Mapping:

LG C8's Dynamic Tone Mapping:

LG C8's Dynamic Tone Mapping + madVR's Dynamic Tone Mapping:

Pixel shaders with HDR output checked can benefit most HDR displays by assisting the display's own internal tone mapping. The benefits of this tone mapping somewhat depend on how the display handles the altered static metadata provided by madVR (lowered MaxCLL and mastering display maximum luminance) that is often used to select which static tone curve is used by the display.

Some HDR displays will not recognize that the compressed source fits within the display's peak brightness and will apply an additional tone map where a second tone curve is used to further compress the source values to some extent. This double tone map effect could make madVR's dynamic tone mapping less beneficial if the primary display curve used is overly harsh. Pixel shaders also cannot correct displays that do not follow the PQ curve, like those that artificially boost the brightness of HDR content or those with poor EOTF tracking that crush shadow detail. Displays with a dynamic tone mapping setting don’t typically use the static metadata and should ignore the metadata in favor of simply reading the RGB source values sent by madVR.

Determining the usefulness of madVR's dynamic PQ tone mapping can require some experimentation with the real display peak nits and movie scenes with many bright specular highlights. The brightest HDR movies mastered above 1,000 peak nits tend to be the titles that most often lose some detail in the specular highlights with the default display tone curve. A good way to test the impact of the source rescaling is to create two hdr profiles mapped to keyboard shortcuts in madVR that can be toggled during playback: one set to passthrough HDR to display and the other pixel shaders with HDR output. To trigger the altered HDR metadata sent by madVR after switching to pixel shaders, uncheck and recheck the output video in HDR format checkbox in the control panel during playback.

Further Reading:
HDR10 Tone Mapping Explained
HDR to HDR: Advantages and Disadvantages
Static vs. Dynamic Tone Mapping
@MKANET
Quote:I just wanted to report back that the issues I had with http/https and other online streaming video addons are all resolved now. I can pretty much can now build any Directshow filtergraph with DSPlayer.. I didn't realize that filtersconfig.xml and mediaconfig.xml under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\system\players\dsplayer" takes precedence over the ones under "C:\Users\MKANET\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\dsplayer". So, I saw weird filter names that DSPlayer was looking (in my Kodi logs) that I didn't have defined or installed.

Maybe you could share your experiences and settings here. The main purpose for me to install Kodi was to watch Prime Instant without using browser players (no fluid playback possible for me). DVDPlayer is working for all streaming content, but playback is not perfect fluid (it is better than browser player, but there are definetly dropped frames sometimes though having perfect refresh rates built by CRU utility). So I switched to DSPlayer in order to use madvr with hopefully perfect fluid playback (with MPC-HC and madvr I get perfect playback and can use 3DLUT, better scalers, ...).
So this would be the missing link: Amazon Prime Instant with madvr. And the link is DSPlayer.
I have configured everything like described in the HOWTO Configure (and used the settings in chapter 6 "Playing streaming Video with DSPlayer").
For some videos it works, for others not (video not opened).
Would be nice if you could share some infos regarding this topic. Smile
Many thanks in advance,
Hannes.
(2015-07-30, 03:30)MKANET Wrote: I just wanted to report back that the issues I had with http/https and other online streaming video addons are all resolved now. I can pretty much can now build any Directshow filtergraph with DSPlayer.. I didn't realize that filtersconfig.xml and mediaconfig.xml under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\system\players\dsplayer" takes precedence over the ones under "C:\Users\MKANET\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\dsplayer". So, I saw weird filter names that DSPlayer was looking (in my Kodi logs) that I didn't have defined or installed.

Emphasis mine on the above but... shouldn't it be exactly the opposite? It's the opposite for all other configuration files... And it's that way so one doesn't lose his/her settings every time he/she updates Kodi.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2015-07-30, 20:54)Warner306 Wrote:
(2015-07-30, 10:59)djoole Wrote: Sorry if this has already been discussed, but i've been away for a while from DSPlaer/madVR updates.
I've decided to upgrade everything. Now madVR is set to use D3D11, and it works great with MPC HC (huge performance increase).
But when i launch videos with DSPlayer, sometimes i have blank screen only with subtitles, sometimes i have the video, but very very dark, with the reds saturated.
No error in Kodi logs.
I've just noticed yesterday night, i still have to install the PDB and make madVR logs.

But my question is : is DSPlayer + madVR compatible with D3D11?

Try turning off hardware acceleration in LAV Video and toggle present a frame for every vsync in madVR.

D3D11 shouldn't make anything faster, but it is working fine for me. It is required for 10-bit output - that is its main advantage.
hardware acceleration is set to None in LAV Video, and present a frame (the option below D3D11) is already toggled.
When I set chroma upscale to Jinc i get nearly black screen with saturated reds.
When I set chroma upscale so Super XBR default, i get a green screen!
Any other idea?
(2015-07-31, 00:21)djoole Wrote:
(2015-07-30, 20:54)Warner306 Wrote:
(2015-07-30, 10:59)djoole Wrote: Sorry if this has already been discussed, but i've been away for a while from DSPlaer/madVR updates.
I've decided to upgrade everything. Now madVR is set to use D3D11, and it works great with MPC HC (huge performance increase).
But when i launch videos with DSPlayer, sometimes i have blank screen only with subtitles, sometimes i have the video, but very very dark, with the reds saturated.
No error in Kodi logs.
I've just noticed yesterday night, i still have to install the PDB and make madVR logs.

But my question is : is DSPlayer + madVR compatible with D3D11?

Try turning off hardware acceleration in LAV Video and toggle present a frame for every vsync in madVR.

D3D11 shouldn't make anything faster, but it is working fine for me. It is required for 10-bit output - that is its main advantage.
hardware acceleration is set to None in LAV Video, and present a frame (the option below D3D11) is already toggled.
When I set chroma upscale to Jinc i get nearly black screen with saturated reds.
When I set chroma upscale so Super XBR default, i get a green screen!
Any other idea?

It sounds like a graphics card/driver issue. I get a green screen on one computer when using QuickSync with D3D11. D3D9 will work just as well if you don't need 10 bit output. The only benefit listed by madshi is faster entry and exit from Fullscreen exclusive mode.
Ok, i'm using D3D9 for now, but would like to understand what is the matter with D3D11.
I'm using the latest nvidia drivers 353.62
(2015-07-31, 22:57)djoole Wrote: Ok, i'm using D3D9 for now, but would like to understand what is the matter with D3D11.
I'm using the latest nvidia drivers 353.62

Don't know. I am also using Nvidia with the latest drivers.
(2015-07-28, 15:29)aracnoz Wrote: @GlennNZ

if this new way can create some instability at playstart, i prefer to revert this changes to avoid problems

so

for the next build i will mantain the fix to solve your problems on pause (probably also others problems with repeated frames) and the possibility to set a different delay for each refresh by advancedsettings.xml even when the refresh it's handled only by madVR

you will return to see the kodi menu after the refresh change performed by madVR, anyway the execution time for me it's always the same with kodi or with madvr with all these version and previous, it's not so good to see again the menu after the switching but it's only a visual thing

the real difference, as already said @a11599, it's that with madvr the refresh it's set better than with kodi

to avoid any stuttering after that kodi has switched the refresh i need to use reclock with some 24p media, instead with madVR that manages everything, i can reproduce the smooth motion without have to use reclock

Sounds good. I look forward to it.

Once again thanks for all your hard work - hopefully we can encourage some more developer support.

Glenn
I am having an issue with trying to take a screenshot using DSPlayer and Kodi 15 Final. No matter if I use the keyboard shortcut in Kodi or if I use my Windows 8.1 system key of PrtScrn, the only output I get is a blank, 0 byte .png file. I have spent time scanning these 67 pages of posts, but I do not see anything relating to this issue. Is this something that has just happened with the final version of Kodi, or is there a setting that I am not seeing within the DSPlayer build of Kodi?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
ASUS P5Q, Intel Xeon X5460 Quad Core @ 3.1MHz with ASUS Silent Knight II,
8GB DDR2 RAM, GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Fx Sound Card, 120GB SSD, (2) 1TB HDDs, 750GB HDD, 500GB HDD,
ASUS 25.5" HDMI Monitor, Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball K64325, MS Wireless Keyboard 3000,
Windows 10 Pro x64
(2015-08-01, 14:49)Mortekai Wrote: I am having an issue with trying to take a screenshot using DSPlayer and Kodi 15 Final. No matter if I use the keyboard shortcut in Kodi or if I use my Windows 8.1 system key of PrtScrn, the only output I get is a blank, 0 byte .png file. I have spent time scanning these 67 pages of posts, but I do not see anything relating to this issue. Is this something that has just happened with the final version of Kodi, or is there a setting that I am not seeing within the DSPlayer build of Kodi?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I had the same problem, so I just ran Kodi in windowed mode and used the windows built in snipping tool to capture the screen, worked great.
(2015-08-01, 21:13)vmax Wrote: I had the same problem, so I just ran Kodi in windowed mode and used the windows built in snipping tool to capture the screen, worked great.

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it, but with the same result, no matter if I used the OS snipping tool, or if I used the Kodi keyboard shortcut. Just got two .png files with 0 bytes, and obviously no data.... Bummer... But, I appreciate your effort!
8GB DDR2 RAM, GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Fx Sound Card, 120GB SSD, (2) 1TB HDDs, 750GB HDD, 500GB HDD,
ASUS 25.5" HDMI Monitor, Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball K64325, MS Wireless Keyboard 3000,
Windows 10 Pro x64
My problem with the menu slowing down after stopping a video has been fixed with an upgrade to Windows 10.
(2015-08-01, 21:40)Mortekai Wrote:
(2015-08-01, 21:13)vmax Wrote: I had the same problem, so I just ran Kodi in windowed mode and used the windows built in snipping tool to capture the screen, worked great.

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it, but with the same result, no matter if I used the OS snipping tool, or if I used the Kodi keyboard shortcut. Just got two .png files with 0 bytes, and obviously no data.... Bummer... But, I appreciate your effort!

Didn't know about that problem. You can't take screenshots in Fullscreen exclusive mode because it is designed that way. But Windowed mode should work fine.
(2015-08-01, 22:28)Warner306 Wrote: Didn't know about that problem. You can't take screenshots in Fullscreen exclusive mode because it is designed that way. But Windowed mode should work fine.

I agree, in that it should work, but it just does not. I've tried both ways, many times, and even doing a fresh install, but no joy. Same result each time. To double check that it was not a Windows 8.1 x64 problem, I tried with plain Kodi 15 install, and I get great screenshots every time. That leads me to believe that there is something, somewhere within DSPlayer build that is giving me grief regarding taking screenshots. I like to use screenshots as fanart... a way for me to customize Kodi more.

Oh well, life goes on.. Cool
Windows 10 Pro x64
@aracnoz I just installed cleanly the final version of Isengard Kodi 15 DSPlayer build. The same issue is still there. Once in a while, I do see the Trakt rating dialog after a media has stopped playback. But, that's pretty rare. Did I miss something?

(2015-07-27, 17:39)aracnoz Wrote: [quote='MKANET' pid='2063306' dateline='1437937654']
@aracnoz, any chance you could please consider looking into the the issue preventing the Trakt.TV addon from reliably opening it's Rating's Dialog box on Player.OnPlaybackStopped? Maybe this is a complication indirectly caused by DSPlayer's OSD lag? I tried to ask for help about this in the trakt.tv forum thread; however, they mentioned the correct place to ask for help is in this thread. Thanks for any help you can offer about this. PS: I'm NOT using FSE.

Looking forward to the next Isengard DSPlayer update!

fixed with next build
  • 68(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47