• 104(current)
[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility
(2015-08-07, 08:09)P_Jamula Wrote: I guess if I want to run this utility once a week to keep all new content up to date on all instances then I can create a batch file running the command for each section.

Yep.

(2015-08-07, 08:09)P_Jamula Wrote: I assume this will also download any artwork referred as URL's in the content

The "c" option will ensure that artwork is downloaded and added to the texture cache of each client, yes.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-08-07, 08:24)Milhouse Wrote:
(2015-08-07, 08:09)P_Jamula Wrote: I guess if I want to run this utility once a week to keep all new content up to date on all instances then I can create a batch file running the command for each section.

Yep.

(2015-08-07, 08:09)P_Jamula Wrote: I assume this will also download any artwork referred as URL's in the content

The "c" option will ensure that artwork is downloaded and added to the texture cache of each client, yes.

thanks again for the prompt reply...
one last question...
for the Master section should it be xbmc.host=localhost or kodi.host=localhost? all my setup is named kodi and not xbmc.
can I use notepd to edit the cfg file??
Regards,

PJ
(2015-08-07, 08:39)P_Jamula Wrote: for the Master section should it be xbmc.host=localhost or kodi.host=localhost? all my setup is named kodi and not xbmc.

xbmc.host

(2015-08-07, 08:39)P_Jamula Wrote: can I use notepd to edit the cfg file??

Yes.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks for all your help. This is one of the best Kodi utilities I have come across... well done!!!
I have around 3,200 movies, 56 TV series with almost 5,900 episodes and around 36,000 songs in 2,700 albums loaded on my NAS as content for Kodi.
I have started using your facility on my master Kodi instance. it seems to be taking forever to run already been running for an hour or so and still going on.
For the first run it is ok and no problems as I am sure it is getting everything needed and sorting out the artwork.
I am wondering that if after this first run when I start the runs for the other 4 Kodi instances will it run faster or will it take the same amount of time for each instance.
Regards,

PJ
It depends if you are caching or recaching. Caching only runs for deltas.
Image Image
(2015-08-07, 11:03)redglory Wrote: It depends if you are caching or recaching. Caching only runs for deltas.

using the C parameter
Regards,

PJ
C recaches all artwork.
Image Image
(2015-08-07, 11:24)redglory Wrote: C recaches all artwork.

Still does not answer my original question:
I am wondering that if after this first run when I start the runs for the other 4 Kodi instances will it run faster or will it take the same amount of time for each instance?
Regards,

PJ
(2015-08-07, 13:34)P_Jamula Wrote:

I am wondering that if after this first run when I start the runs for the other 4 Kodi instances will it run faster or will it take the same amount of time for each instance?

The texture cache of each client is independent of all other clients, so updating the cache on your primary client is going to have no effect on how long it takes to populate the cache on each of your other clients.

However what @redglory is saying is that the "C" option will always re-cache *all* artwork - each time you run this option it will take a very long time, and is definitely not something you want to do (it's debatable if this is ever a good idea - better to just delete Textures13.db/Thumbnails and use the "c" option).

What you should be using is the "c" option (the options are case sensitive!) as this will only cache artwork that is not yet cached. On an empty texture cache it will still take a while to run, but subsequent runs will be much quicker.

The "C" option is really only needed to "fix" already cached artwork that is corrupt or stale, and generally you'd use it only on a specific movie/tvshow/etc., and not the entire library.
(2015-08-07, 14:04)Milhouse Wrote:
(2015-08-07, 13:34)P_Jamula Wrote:

The texture cache of each client is independent of all other clients, so updating the cache on your primary client is going to have no effect on how long it takes to populate the cache on each of your other clients.

However what @redglory is saying is that the "C" option will always re-cache *all* artwork - each time you run this option it will take a very long time, and is definitely not something you want to do (it's debatable if this is ever a good idea - better to just delete Textures13.db/Thumbnails and use the "c" option).

What you should be using is the "c" option (the options are case sensitive!) as this will only cache artwork that is not yet cached. On an empty texture cache it will still take a while to run, but subsequent runs will be much quicker.

The "C" option is really only needed to "fix" already cached artwork that is corrupt or stale, and generally you'd use it only on a specific movie/tvshow/etc., and not the entire library.

oic... now I understand.... Thanks. and I am sorry I am using the 'c' lowercase option.
guess I am in for very very long sessions per client. my master Kodi has been running since 11:00AM this morning, it's 5:29PM now and it's finished the music library and only on the 1st chunk of 100 in the movie library and still running....I have a 4MB DSL connection that seems to be running flat out just running the utility.
as if u remember from the ember thread I had shared my thumbnails folder on the NAS for all clients which I have undone as per the standard and your advice. so essentially I have no thumbnails for any client now.
would it help any if I copied the thumbnail folder from the master instance of kodi to the clients just once after this utility completes?? or is that not recommended either??
Regards,

PJ
(2015-08-07, 14:32)P_Jamula Wrote: as if u remember from the ember thread I had shared my thumbnails folder on the NAS for all clients which I have undone as per the standard and your advice. so essentially I have no thumbnails for any client now.

If you're bandwidth limited, what you should be using is local artwork - download once, cache many times. You can achieve this through media management tools, or by exporting your library once you've cached the first client.

Or you can use the mklocal.py script (same github as texturecache.py) to download remote artwork in original quality (and not the lower quality exported from the texture cache) for movies, tvshows and movie sets and then update the media library to use the new local artwork - it's a little complicated to use, you'll need to scan back though the thread for details on usage. mklocal.py can also be used to load non-standard local artwork (ie. discart, logo, clearart etc.)

(2015-08-07, 14:32)P_Jamula Wrote: would it help any if I copied the thumbnail folder from the master instance of kodi to the clients just once after this utility completes?? or is that not recommended either??

You can do that (make sure you copy both Textures13.db and the Thumbnails folder) as long as the master/client hardware and configuration are identical (ie. both x86 with the same imageres/fanartres settings). I wouldn't recommend this approach if your master is x86 and your client is a Raspberry Pi, for instance.
Hi guys complete novice with all this but when I try to run the cmd C:\texturecache.py c I get the below errors sorry had to post pic

Any ideas what I've messed up? cheers
9.1 Cinema Room htpc with Kodi Matrix & emby server~Epson EH-TW9300~Homemade 8ft pj screen~AVR~Yamaha RX-A3070~Speakers~Monitor Audio RX6 Fronts & RX Centre~RXFX Surrounds~250's Rears~180's Front Presence~BK XXLS400 Sub~8033C AntiMode~HarmonyOne

(2015-08-09, 11:58)wints Wrote: Any ideas what I've messed up? cheers

Doesn't look like you're communicating with the Kodi webserver but instead some other web server on whatever webserver.port is configured (default is port 8080).

Make sure webserver.port in texturecache.cfg matches Services > Web server > Port in Kodi Settings. And that you're communicating with the correct device (xbmc.host - default is localhost).

Edit: If you add @logfile=c:\tc.log to your command line, you'll see the data response from the webserver in the log file which may give you more of a clue what service you are communicating with.
Thanks for the reply, everything looked fine so just in case I remade the .cfg file again but this time did it with windows notepad instead of notepad ++ and it now works strange lol
9.1 Cinema Room htpc with Kodi Matrix & emby server~Epson EH-TW9300~Homemade 8ft pj screen~AVR~Yamaha RX-A3070~Speakers~Monitor Audio RX6 Fronts & RX Centre~RXFX Surrounds~250's Rears~180's Front Presence~BK XXLS400 Sub~8033C AntiMode~HarmonyOne

Question 
Millhouse,

I've been using the below code for awhile now, since the last posts you helped me fix it. Previous posts are #1227, 1228, 1229, 1231, & 1236.

Code:
texturecache.py jd movies | mklocal.py --local L:\Videos --prefix "smb://MEDIA-SERVER/FTP Main/Videos/" --nokeep --artwork fanart poster clearlogo clearart --output "c:\Data Files\fixup080815.dat"

then pipe it to set the database if all looks well:
Code:
type "c:\Data Files\fixup080815.dat" | texturecache.py set

Recently running this script I am getting the error below:
Code:
usage: mklocal.py [-h] [-l DIRECTORY] [-p PATH] [-A PATH] [-i [FILENAME]] [-o [FILENAME]]
                  [--dryrun] [-r] [--ignorebadprefix] [-a TYPE [TYPE ...]]
                  [-c TYPE [TYPE ...]] [-s [TYPE [TYPE ...]]] [-e [TYPE [TYPE ...]]] [-1]
                  [-nk] [--info] [-q | -v]
mklocal.py: error: local DIRECTORY L:\Videos\ does not exist!
FATAL: The task you wish to perform requires that the JSON-RPC server is
       enabled and running on the XBMC system you wish to connect.

In addtion, ensure that the following options are ENABLED on the
       XBMC client in Settings -> Services -> Remote control:

Allow programs on this system to control XBMC
            Allow programs on other systems to control XBMC

A connection cannot be established to the following JSON-RPC server:
       localhost:9090

Check settings in properties file texturecache.cfg

I checked my local system and the Network drive is mapped locally as shown in the code to L:\Videos\, and the only thing I can think of that is causing the error is that this is a network mapping, not a local drive. Any help as always is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
  • 104(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility17