• 38(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
Missed that in my earlier tests, thanks.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-08-12, 17:14)looun Wrote: DTS Sound Check DTS-HD MA 7.1 with 5.1 setup speaker you have 5 separated chanel + 2 virtual chanel.
back surround speaker are recreated with combination of surround speaker.

try with player support DTS-HD MA 7.1 and 5.1 setup speaker wih kodi decoding(PCM) then with passthrough enabled(DTS-HD) to the receiver, there is big difference.You lose virtual back surround speakers and DTS / Ampi DSP optimization.

Kodi decoding the lossy DTS track it's good way ,but it's not equal however.

try with 5.1 setup speaker wih kodi decoding then with passthrough enabled to the receiver, there is big difference.You lose virtual back surround speakers and DTS / Ampi DSP optimization.

OK, sorry you lost me a bit. So in other words, sound from a DTS HD player with passthroug enabled is far superior than Kodi Multichannel PCM.
The Amp creates virtual speakers and has better sound image, with Multichannel PCM it does not do that. Never thought of that.

Is it impossible for Kodi on the RPi 2 to have passthrough DTS HD, or is it something that could happen in the near future?
(2015-08-12, 18:28)3dgeek Wrote: OK, sorry you lost me a bit. So in other words, sound from a DTS HD player with passthroug enabled is far superior than Kodi Multichannel PCM.
The Amp creates virtual speakers and has better sound image, with Multichannel PCM it does not do that. Never thought of that.

only with DTS-HD MA 7.1 from my test. it's not big difference ,but with my HT i can hear.

(2015-08-12, 18:28)3dgeek Wrote: Is it impossible for Kodi on the RPi 2 to have passthrough DTS HD, or is it something that could happen in the near future?
no
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2015-08-12, 16:56)hdmkv Wrote: The audio sync issue on Q5 got introduced when they added true 23.976 support. I understand HiMedia is now waiting on HiSilicon to address this. HiMedia has been pretty good with firmware updates to date, so I'm hopeful they'll fix this.

Re: RPi2, I haven't given up on it, but I've been frustrated with it as much as I've been impressed with it, if that makes sense. If I could get it stable, I'd even consider using it as my sole Kodi player for my home theater and get rid of my Chromebox and Q5. I'd even consider converting all my 3D ISO's to MVC MKVs. Anyway, I'll try again with no overclocking and the latest Kodi 16 build.

The key issues I previously had were (1) skipping chapters caused audio to go out of sync with video, (2) enabling both 'Adjust display refresh rate...' and 'Sync playback to display' caused Kodi to go to a blank screen after stopping video playback, and (3) live TV mpeg2 1080i had too many frame skips and drops. I do have licenses for both mpeg2 and VC-1 in my config file. Also, with the few 3D titles that have right-eye first, how do you do a swap so playback looks right?

I guess we have to wait for RPi3Big Grin
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
I've been very impressed with the Rpi2 - i've now sold the Celeron Nuc I had in my dedicated room. The Flirc remote works well with my Harmony.

The i3 Haswell NUC i have in the living room is definitely faster, but no 3D support. If standard openelec had MVC support i would probably replace the Rpi2 with another i3 NUC to be fair. But there's not a lot of difference in it performance wise, even though there is price wise.

There is still no single player unfortunately which does everything.
(2015-08-12, 18:51)looun Wrote:
(2015-08-12, 18:28)3dgeek Wrote: OK, sorry you lost me a bit. So in other words, sound from a DTS HD player with passthroug enabled is far superior than Kodi Multichannel PCM.

only with DTS-HD MA 7.1 from my test. it's not big difference ,but with my HT i can hear.

(2015-08-12, 18:28)3dgeek Wrote: Is it impossible for Kodi on the RPi 2 to have passthrough DTS HD, or is it something that could happen in the near future?
no

I still don't get it... it only has to passthrough !!! passthrough, the word says it all... they don't have to deal with it...
Living Room: TV LG OLED55C9PLA, Onkyo TX-NR808, Xbox One S, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), PS3, Wii, Cambridge Audio Azur 640C, Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 / 9 CS / 9.1, Sub BK Gemini, Logitech 650 Remote
(2015-08-14, 15:24)onesolo Wrote: I still don't get it... it only has to passthrough !!! passthrough, the word says it all... they don't have to deal with it...

I think you'll find passthrough is a lot harder than you think. Many kodi platforms don't support HD passthrough, or even support passthrough at all.
The real problem is a 48kHz 8 channel DTS-HD (the most common format) requires 4 times the data rate for passthrough than it does to output lossless 8 channel PCM (because HD passthrough always uses 192kHz for the data channel).
Yeah I know, maybe hdmi higher or equal to 1.4 and the right chipset, helps in that case... without those nothing done.
Living Room: TV LG OLED55C9PLA, Onkyo TX-NR808, Xbox One S, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), PS3, Wii, Cambridge Audio Azur 640C, Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 / 9 CS / 9.1, Sub BK Gemini, Logitech 650 Remote
So I spent a good part of the day testing RPi2 and focused solely on 3D. I have two issues:
  1. If I enable 'Sync playback to display', I get nothing when I play any 3D video (SBS, TB or frame-packed MVC MKV), so only 'Adjust display refresh rate...' can be enabled; and
  2. Whenever any 3D video ends or I stop it manually, I don't get back to the Kodi UI, rather get just a blue screen (no signal reported by by AVR and/or projector).
With latter, I must unplug/re-plug my RPi2. Both problems are not present with 2D videos; I tried various clips, including full BD rips in both MKV and ISO containers. For 3D, if I disable 'Adjust display refresh rate...', when video ends or I stop it, it goes back to Kodi UI just fine, but the actual playback isn't good as I'm not getting 23.976, 24 or whatever the proper framerate is (everything plays at 60). I'm using a BenQ W1070 PJ.

The above issues happen to me whether I used the suggested RPi2 Kodi Isengard build here or the latest Kodi 16 build here. Otherwise, MVC MKV playback is wonderful... no frame skips/drops or other issues.
My HT
Please format that garbled mess so people can actually read it without hurting everyone brain Wink

(2015-08-15, 01:56)hdmkv Wrote: I have two issues: (1) If I enable 'Sync playback to display', I get nothing when I play any 3D video (SBS, TB or frame-packed MVC MKV), so only 'Adjust display refresh rate...' can be enabled; and (2) whenever any 3D video ends or I stop it manually, I don't get back to the Kodi UI, rather get just a blue screen (no signal reported by by AVR and/or projector). With latter, I must unplug/re-plug my RPi2. Both problems are not present with 2D videos; I tried various clips, including full BD rips in both MKV and ISO containers. For 3D, if I disable 'Adjust display refresh rate...', when video ends or I stop it, it goes back to Kodi UI just fine, but the actual playback isn't good as I'm not getting 23.976, 24 or whatever the proper framerate is (everything plays at 60). I'm using a BenQ W1070 PJ.

I have absolutely none of the issues, that you are writing about. So started converting all my 3D movies.
Have you enabled "hardware acceleration- omxplayer"? I had problems before, after I ticked that box, all was fine. (no idea why, just playing around)

After 3D - it takes a short while and the 2D menu is back. Framerate is perfect. I only have "Adjust display framerate" on.

I have played a couple of 3D movies - not a single issue.

Hope you can get your PI to run that well. Did you start from scratch, or did you use old settings?
(2015-08-15, 11:46)3dgeek Wrote: Have you enabled "hardware acceleration- omxplayer"? I had problems before, after I ticked that box, all was fine. (no idea why, just playing around)

After 3D - it takes a short while and the 2D menu is back. Framerate is perfect. I only have "Adjust display framerate" on.

Did you start from scratch, or did you use old settings?
From scratch. I left OMXPlayer disabled as that's how it was by default. Will try with it enabled. Will also try another 3D display.
My HT
More testing and I've narrowed my RPi2 issue to compatibility with my PJ... BenQ W1070. Basically, HDMI fed directly to it, or via my AVR, the PJ sometimes goes blank when trying to recover to Kodi UI ('Desktop' mode 1080p/60) after playing 2D or 3D content with other framerates (like 23.976). I don't get back to Kodi UI, so must force unplug/re-plug RPi2.

The issue occurs more often when stopping playback of a 3D BD rip (MVC MKV), or half-res SBS and T/B formats... blank screen. Took my RPi2 to another room where I fed it to a LG passive 3D LCD TV and no issues, whether direct HDMI or via AVR there as well.

Don't understand why this is happening with my PJ and just RPi2 as I had no issues in the past playing full 3D (having my BenQ W1070 switch to frame-packed mode, then my stopping playing, and having PJ return to 1080p/60). This was with Mede8er 600X3D and HiMedia Q5, but with RPi2, there's a problem. The issue is spotty; hard to replicate in the same manner, with the same files, at the same spots.

Anyone here with a RPi2 and BenQ W1070 combo?
My HT
i have a benq W1070 and a pi2 in my basement theatre area and haven't noticed any of those problems you are having, AVR is a Pioneer VSX-1022 k

I will have to check my setting though to see if I have 'sync playback', 'adjust display refresh rate' or OMXPlayer enabled.
Thanks, I'd appreciate that... seriously considering switching to RPi2 for all 2D and 3D.
My HT
  • 38(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17