• 162(current)
Artwork Downloader
It also grabs the extrafanarts AFAIK if located in an extrafanart folder as is seems.
I indeed disabled the "download" option for extrafanarts within AD as i use fanart1, 2, 3.... .jpg and AD uses the provider id for naming them, and it still works : ie the skins are able to find them so my guess is it works without AD.
(2015-08-17, 12:47)Namoi Wrote: It also grabs the extrafanarts AFAIK if located in an extrafanart folder as is seems.
I indeed disabled the "download" option for extrafanarts within AD as i use fanart1, 2, 3.... .jpg and AD uses the provider id for naming them, and it still works : ie the skins are able to find them so my guess is it works without AD.

Correct, Extrafanarts don't need AD in order to work as the Extrafanart is not associated with movies in the library (ie. the urls of the Exrtafanart artwork are not added to the media library).

Extrafanart works by having the skin look for the Extrafanart directory and, if it exists, using whatever artwork it finds within. Extrafanart is entirely a skin hack, and the artwork exists completely outside of the media library, unlike artwork such as poster, fanart, discart, logo etc.

All AD needs to do for Extrafanart is create the Extrafanart directory and populate it with suitable artwork, there are no database updates required.

Same applies to Extrathumbs.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-08-17, 19:59)Milhouse Wrote: Correct, Extrafanarts don't need AD in order to work as the Extrafanart is not associated with movies in the library (ie. the urls of the Exrtafanart artwork are not added to the media library).

Extrafanart works by having the skin look for the Extrafanart directory and, if it exists, using whatever artwork it finds within. Extrafanart is entirely a skin hack, and the artwork exists completely outside of the media library, unlike artwork such as poster, fanart, discart, logo etc.

All AD needs to do for Extrafanart is create the Extrafanart directory and populate it with suitable artwork, there are no database updates required.

Wow, that's good info to know. So I guess there are three categories of artwork. Assuming you have all the local artwork in the movie folder:
1. poster and fanart, which are cached in the Kodi database, but which Kodi (or the skin) can cache without help from AD
2. extrafanart and extrathumbs, which are not cached, but which the skin uses without help from AD
3. clearart, clearlogo, banner, etc., which are cached in the Kodi database, but AD is required to present the URL to Kodi for caching

Complicated stuff. Wouldn't it be easier if it were all handled the same way?
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
Being pedantic, caching is a completely separate process and one in which AD is not involved. All artwork will be cached eventually, but by the GUI when the artwork is displayed and not by AD. The database that AD updates (though not for Extrafanart/Extrathumbs) is MyVideosXX, ie. the media library, and not the cache (which is Textures13.db). I'm assuming this is what you meant, but using the term "cache" is confusing as it has a somewhat specific use in Kodi.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-08-17, 19:59)Milhouse Wrote:
(2015-08-17, 12:47)Namoi Wrote: It also grabs the extrafanarts AFAIK if located in an extrafanart folder as is seems.

Correct, Extrafanarts don't need AD in order to work as the Extrafanart is not associated with movies in the library (ie. the urls of the Exrtafanart artwork are not added to the media library).

I was wondering for extrathumbs ... thanks for the info.
One more question.

How does one go about changing the fanart after AD downloads one that one doesn't like and make sure they keep the new one locally?

Let's say I have AD download all the fanart with the "use local" option (otherwise it doesn't actually download anything to disk).

Then I go in and change one of the fanart in the kodi library. The local fanart on disk is still the unwanted one downloaded by AD.

If I export, it doesn't overwrite the AD one, because they use different naming schemes.

If I use AD again, without overwrite, I am still stuck with the unwanted local fanart.

If I use AD again with overwrite, it again downloads an unwanted one to replace the last unwanted one.

Sure, I can keep using it, but once I rescrape the library for any reason, I am stuck with the unwanted fanart.

Any ideas?

Thanks
(2015-08-18, 04:00)aptalca Wrote: One more question.

How does one go about changing the fanart after AD downloads one that one doesn't like and make sure they keep the new one locally?

Either use only the naming convention that AD supports and allow AD to download artwork into your file system, or use the movie-name prefix file naming convention and don't allow AD to download artwork into your file system.

Knowingly using AD to download "incorrectly" named artwork seems absurd, and will just make a mess of your file system.

If you must have artwork named with the movie-name prefix, then you mustn't allow AD to download anything into your file system.
Or use media companion which will place your selected artwork with the movie...cheeky off topic...lol
Media Companion Dev.
Media Companion - Kodi / XBMC - Media Companion
(2015-08-18, 04:15)Milhouse Wrote:
(2015-08-18, 04:00)aptalca Wrote: One more question.

Either use only the naming convention that AD supports and allow AD to download artwork into your file system, or use the movie-name prefix file naming convention and don't allow AD to download artwork into your file system.

Knowingly using AD to download "incorrectly" named artwork seems absurd, and will just make a mess of your file system.

If you must have artwork named with the movie-name prefix, then you mustn't allow AD to download anything into your file system.
Oh no, I think you misunderstood. I'm not trying to combine. I'm just wondering how one would change the artwork that AD downloads without having to manually download the desired artwork and replacing the one AD gets.

I tried AD and although the majority of the artwork was just fine, some were not appropriate (low quality, fuzzy or a random screenshot, etc.). When you have thousands of movies, it becomes pretty tedious to do manual download and renaming even if only 5-10% require extra work. I'm trying to figure out how I can switch to using AD as the main artwork retriever, while having the ability to pick certain artwork over others.

The reason I'm forced to use AD is because the PTVL addon author refuses to support the other naming convention. He is very talented, but can be a bit like the soup nazi (no offense, it's a seinfeld reference) Wink
(2015-08-18, 05:29)aptalca Wrote: Oh no, I think you misunderstood. I'm not trying to combine. I'm just wondering how one would change the artwork that AD downloads without having to manually download the desired artwork and replacing the one AD gets.

I tried AD and although the majority of the artwork was just fine, some were not appropriate (low quality, fuzzy or a random screenshot, etc.). When you have thousands of movies, it becomes pretty tedious to do manual download and renaming even if only 5-10% require extra work. I'm trying to figure out how I can switch to using AD as the main artwork retriever, while having the ability to pick certain artwork over others.

The reason I'm forced to use AD is because the PTVL addon author refuses to support the other naming convention. He is very talented, but can be a bit like the soup nazi (no offense, it's a seinfeld reference) Wink

If you're not happy with the automatically selected artwork, there's no other option but for you to select something different. The problem then is to get the local path of the new artwork into the media library, and for this AD can't help you unless you use the same naming convention, which is an issue for you.

I've already told you how you can convert remote artwork to local artwork files with the movie-name prefix naming convention - it's called mklocal.py, see sig - but if your intention is to use AD alone then you're stuck with it's limitations.
(2015-08-17, 21:17)Milhouse Wrote: Being pedantic, caching is a completely separate process and one in which AD is not involved. All artwork will be cached eventually, but by the GUI when the artwork is displayed and not by AD. The database that AD updates (though not for Extrafanart/Extrathumbs) is MyVideosXX, ie. the media library, and not the cache (which is Textures13.db). I'm assuming this is what you meant, but using the term "cache" is confusing as it has a somewhat specific use in Kodi.

Also there is an art type known as "thumb".

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
What type of image is art type "thumb"? Haven't seen any references to that filename, unless your talking about SxxExx -thumb.jpg. ??
Media Companion Dev.
"thumb" is used by tvshow episodes.

There's also "thumbnail" which is used by the Music database, for album covers and artist portraits.
OK, got it. Thought that person was talking about new artwork type like logo, landscape, clearart etc. Phew.

When you talk about music being thumbnail, do you mean extension being. tbn?
Media Companion Dev.
Most of my video "thumb" art types are auto-generated by Kodi during scan of episodes and musicvideos by grabbing a video frame from the video file (if video setting "extract thumbnails and video information" is set). There's also an option for extracting chapter thumbs. I haven't seen that in action, maybe Milhouse has.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
  • 162(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artwork Downloader18