• 39(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
(2015-08-18, 20:05)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks, I'd appreciate that... seriously considering switching to RPi2 for all 2D and 3D.

Well converting all iso to mkv is a no go for me
even losing atmos is a pain in the ass
Sad
(2015-08-18, 20:05)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks, I'd appreciate that... seriously considering switching to RPi2 for all 2D and 3D.

Just a thought, have you tried deactivating HDMI CEC? Maybe that could help.
Yep, already tried that. Thanks though. I'll likely be getting a new 3D PJ (either a Sony HW40ES or one of the upcoming Epsons), so this will (hopefully) be a non-issue. I've already started converting my 200+ ISO's to MVC MKV's. Wish I'd saved my MKV's from the days I had my Mede8er 600X3D, but oh well. Saving my ISO's as well in case I decide to go back to them again.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2015-08-19, 19:54)hdmkv Wrote: Yep, already tried that. Thanks though. I'll likely be getting a new 3D PJ (either a Sony HW40ES or one of the upcoming Epsons), so this will (hopefully) be a non-issue. I've already started converting my 200+ ISO's to MVC MKV's. Wish I'd saved my MKV's from the days I had my Mede8er 600X3D, but oh well. Saving my ISO's as well in case I decide to go back to them again.

You are not worry about losing the correct HD Audio format and been limited to PCM with RPi2?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Nah... I don't have ATMOS, nor am I planning to get it (or DTS:X). To me, 7.1 is already somewhat of an overkill. Honestly, a great sounding 5.1 set-up is ample.

And, you're not losing any quality with PCM on RPi2 with 5.1 and 7.1 HD audio. You only lose the metadata in 7.1 tracks w/ATMOS and DTS: X for ‎5.1.2, ‎7.1.4, ‎7.1.2, or 9.1.2 set-ups. While I could appreciate going to 7.1 from 5.1, and with HD audio (from 640Kbps DD or 1.5Mbps DTS) with some movies, the new formats seem excessive to me. Just IMHO. I've been in a home theater meet where we did blind audio tests with standard DD/DTS vs. HD audio, and many of us couldn't often tell the difference. How well the disc was authored probably made a difference where we could notice a difference, even with good speakers, but we had to listen really carefully. And we'd often be fooled by some excellent standard DD/DTS tracks.
My Family Room Theater
A senior Dolby engineer has stated in the past that most people with normal equipment can't tell the difference between HD and non-HD audio - if you've got "golden ears" and very expensive gear then it's more likely you'll hear a difference. HD is over-rated for most users, and that's basically the opinion of Dolby Labs themselves.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-08-19, 21:16)Milhouse Wrote: A senior Dolby engineer has stated in the past that most people with normal equipment can't tell the difference between HD and non-HD audio - if you've got "golden ears" and very expensive gear then it's more likely you'll hear a difference. HD is over-rated for most users, and that's basically the opinion of Dolby Labs themselves.

But did he say you couldn't hear the difference between 5.1 and 7.1? You only get 7.1 with HD Audio set-ups, with DD/DTS legacy stuff limited to 5.1 (or 6.1 with a DTS ES track?)

And not all DD/DTS non-HD Audio is equal. I can definitely hear the difference between a 384k DD 5.1 mix (as used by BBC HD channels) and the same show in a DTS HD MA or DTS HD HRA mix on Blu-ray (I've compared them)... Whether I can hear the difference between a 1.5Mbs DTS mix and a DTS HD mix is a different matter (I've tried that too)...
Just my opinion, but I feel HD audio and 7.1 (bitstreamed or decoded to LPCM) is worth it... I'm just not sold on ATMOS and DTS:X. I mean, at what point does it start getting ridiculous?!
My Family Room Theater
(2015-08-20, 00:44)noggin Wrote: But did he say you couldn't hear the difference between 5.1 and 7.1? You only get 7.1 with HD Audio set-ups, with DD/DTS legacy stuff limited to 5.1 (or 6.1 with a DTS ES track?)

No, you're right - he was specifically referring to 5.1 TrueHD and 5.1 AC-3.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-08-20, 01:30)Milhouse Wrote:
(2015-08-20, 00:44)noggin Wrote: But did he say you couldn't hear the difference between 5.1 and 7.1? You only get 7.1 with HD Audio set-ups, with DD/DTS legacy stuff limited to 5.1 (or 6.1 with a DTS ES track?)

No, you're right - he was specifically referring to 5.1 TrueHD and 5.1 AC-3.

Suspect he must have been talking about high bitrate AC-3 as well. You can definitely hear the bitrate difference between 384k and 640k AC-3... (And 256k AC-3 5.1 sounds... err... interesting...)
Yeah, I imagine he had a "good" AC-3 mix in mind when making that comparison. If you fiddle with all the variables, I'm sure it's perfectly possible to hear a better sound from a "good" AC-3 mix when compared with a "bad" TrueHD mix, but in a fair fight his point seems to be that that most people simply can't tell the difference.
It's hard to hear the difference sometimes between 5.1 640Kbps and TrueHD tracks. Or, 1.5Mbps 'core' DTS track vs. MA. Just trying to be honest here. I have a pretty good AVR and 7.1 speaker system, but in blind tests, you could fool me (and others I bet).
My Family Room Theater
(2015-08-20, 02:10)hdmkv Wrote: It's hard to hear the difference sometimes between 5.1 640Kbps and TrueHD tracks. Or, 1.5Mbps 'core' DTS track vs. MA. Just trying to be honest here. I have a pretty good AVR and 7.1 speaker system, but in blind tests, you could fool me (and others I bet).

Yes. The real gain for HD Audio is 7.1 vs 5.1 (and rare 6.1) tracks. You only get 7.1 with HD Audio. I'm sure people can hear that difference...

Personally, I don't have space for 7.1 - but don't see the point in NOT using HD Audio if I have it available to me.
Hmm all this talk of 7.1 has wet my appetite... Maybe I will install extra speakers - yet my better half, would probably kill me...

Does it really make a big difference, or just nice to have? Sorry for going OT.

Ah well, but then again - it is our livingroom and positioning the extra speakers would be nearly impossible - without looking ridiculous. Guess I will have to live without.

Shame, because I already have 2 unused speakers in storage.
(2015-08-20, 11:30)3dgeek Wrote: Hmm all this talk of 7.1 has wet my appetite... Maybe I will install extra speakers - yet my better half, would probably kill me...

Does it really make a big difference, or just nice to have? Sorry for going OT.

Ah well, but then again - it is our livingroom and positioning the extra speakers would be nearly impossible - without looking ridiculous. Guess I will have to live without.

Shame, because I already have 2 unused speakers in storage.

Same issue here. Would love to have 7.1 (or 7.0) - but don't have a compatible living room!
  • 39(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17