• 43(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
(2015-08-29, 15:32)hdmkv Wrote: Only thing is MVC MKV playback is a niche capability, while ISO has wider support. It's why I'm doing both for now, in case RPi2 doesn't pan out in the future (or Pi3 chip doesn't support MVC), don't want to have to convert or re-rip everything again.

Think the only real solution to that is to rip BDs to ISOs and then convert the ISOs to MKVs. You can delete the MKVs in the future if ISO decode arrives, but I wouldn't delete the ISOs. That's been my approach to 3D content (I only have about 5 3D titles though)
I just bought HiMedia Q5
I tested all the audio formats but TRUEHD Atmos is not working.
Also 3d OU doesn't look good on the player because it is showing in 1080p 24hz
I have yet to test 3d iso frame-packing 3d.
I live in Canada in North America btw.
I thought a firmware upgrade would fix it but when i go to upgrade it, it says it's the latest version.

Build number on my box is HMD-1.0.7 2015-01-14.145856

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
(2015-08-30, 18:13)kratos02 Wrote: I just bought HiMedia Q5
I tested all the audio formats but TRUEHD Atmos is not working.
Also 3d OU doesn't look good on the player because it is showing in 1080p 24hz
I have yet to test 3d iso frame-packing 3d.
I live in Canada in North America btw.
I thought a firmware upgrade would fix it but when i go to upgrade it, it says it's the latest version.

Build number on my box is HMD-1.0.7 2015-01-14.145856

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Where do you buy?
If buy English version try this http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?board=2.0
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
it says only flash it on the European region models.
Will I have any problems if I flash it on the North American model?
It's English version
There are no Chinese apps or anything.
And the remote is also in English
I bought it in Canada from an electronic store
(2015-08-30, 12:38)noggin Wrote:
(2015-08-30, 05:22)ars92 Wrote: Another thing, openelec running on intel.cpu and nvidia gpu,would not be able to play 3d frame packed movie like the Pi right? Which basically means that the 30 dollar Pi is better than my 250 dollar gtx 960?? At least when it comes to linux 3d playback.

Yes. None of the x86 Linux platforms support 3D MVC decode (which is required for most 24p 3D Full 1080p resolution content), and I don't think they support Frame Packed output (though that shouldn't be a show stopper, unlike MVC which needs serious work)

Under Windows you can integrate an external player like PowerDVD or TMT (if you have a copy - you can't buy it any more AIUI) if your hardware supports 3D MVC (Core i and above for Intel usually, though some Baytrail Celerons may also do it?)

The Pi 2 really is unique at the moment in supporting 3D MVC decode and Full 1080p 3D Frame Packed output from within Kodi via OpenSource software, and it supports HD Audio via lossless PCM decoding as well.

Wow. I knew that the Pi had something in it which made 3d mvc possible on it, but didn't know 3d mvc is completely out of the picture when it comes to x86 Linux !

Oh well, guess I will just use a windows based kodi if I ever decide to get a 3d screen in the future. The LG 850f looks good.
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
Pi is the ONLY platform to do mvc decoding in kodi.

Windows kodi does not. It uses an external player, but that is not kodi.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-08-30, 12:38)noggin Wrote: The Pi 2 really is unique at the moment in supporting 3D MVC decode and Full 1080p 3D Frame Packed output from within Kodi via OpenSource software, and it supports HD Audio via lossless PCM decoding as well.
Why ? It's arm sw compiled?
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2015-08-30, 22:35)kratos02 Wrote: it says only flash it on the European region models.
Will I have any problems if I flash it on the North American model?
No problems, you can use the firmware from Futeko to flash.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2015-08-31, 07:57)looun Wrote:
(2015-08-30, 12:38)noggin Wrote: The Pi 2 really is unique at the moment in supporting 3D MVC decode and Full 1080p 3D Frame Packed output from within Kodi via OpenSource software, and it supports HD Audio via lossless PCM decoding as well.
Why ? It's arm sw compiled?

No - the MVC decode is implemented in the Broadcom video decode firmware I believe, just as H264, MPEG2 and VC-1 are. At the moment it is the only Kodi platform with fully supported MVC decode within Kodi (and not using an external player) with open source software. (There may be the odd other box with closed sources)

The 1080/24p Frame Packed output is supported as well within the Pi / Pi 2 firmware (it also supports proper signalling of 1080p SBS stuff as well I think - so the TV switches automatically into 3D mode if playing SBS stuff rather than Frame Packed output)

The HD Audio decode can be implemented on any platform with multichannel PCM output (lots of ARM boxes appear to be limited to PCM 2.0/DD/DTS output). I don't think the DTS HD decode has been pushed back to mainline from the Raspberry Pi 2 dev builds yet - but there's no reason other platforms that have multichannel PCM but don't have HD Audio bitstreaming couldn't use it as well.

One of the huge benefits of the Pi / Pi 2 platform is that there are Kodi devs who are also platform devs and can write firmware for the platform to add new functionality, like MVC decode, improved deinterlacing etc. This means we get much better support than with platforms that have no links to Kodi and where manufacturers are concentrating more on Android.
As I got my two RPi2's working well now (did a fresh setup, no overclocking, using a recent Kodi 16 build), I'm very happy with 3D (as well as 2D) performance. It's more seamless than with HiMedia, as it's all within a pure Kodi experience. HiMedia is equally good for 3D, provided they fix the two nagging issues: random audio dropouts w/24fps enabled, and 3D ghosting (former is the bigger issue).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2015-08-31, 07:06)nickr Wrote: Pi is the ONLY platform to do mvc decoding in kodi.

Windows kodi does not. It uses an external player, but that is not kodi.

Yeah I'm completely aware of that. Just that in not gonna get extra hardware for this, so windows is my only choice if I ever want 3d.

I'm thinking of even getting rid of my fire tv soon, once im able to virtualise android x86, just like how I'm currently virtualising openelec.
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
(2015-08-31, 06:29)ars92 Wrote:
(2015-08-30, 12:38)noggin Wrote:
(2015-08-30, 05:22)ars92 Wrote: Another thing, openelec running on intel.cpu and nvidia gpu,would not be able to play 3d frame packed movie like the Pi right? Which basically means that the 30 dollar Pi is better than my 250 dollar gtx 960?? At least when it comes to linux 3d playback.

Yes. None of the x86 Linux platforms support 3D MVC decode (which is required for most 24p 3D Full 1080p resolution content), and I don't think they support Frame Packed output (though that shouldn't be a show stopper, unlike MVC which needs serious work)

Under Windows you can integrate an external player like PowerDVD or TMT (if you have a copy - you can't buy it any more AIUI) if your hardware supports 3D MVC (Core i and above for Intel usually, though some Baytrail Celerons may also do it?)

The Pi 2 really is unique at the moment in supporting 3D MVC decode and Full 1080p 3D Frame Packed output from within Kodi via OpenSource software, and it supports HD Audio via lossless PCM decoding as well.

Wow. I knew that the Pi had something in it which made 3d mvc possible on it, but didn't know 3d mvc is completely out of the picture when it comes to x86 Linux !

Yep - no current Open Source software MVC decoder on any platform. If it got implemented in ffmpeg it would be a LOT easier - but 3D doesn't seem to be a high priority for ffmpeg devs.

Quote:Oh well, guess I will just use a windows based kodi if I ever decide to get a 3d screen in the future. The LG 850f looks good.

Yep - though that's not a great user experience as you get tipped out of the Kodi UI into a Windows UI, and stuff like remote control becomes a lot more complicated to implement, and annoying stuff like focus etc. are a pain. I used to do this a bit for Blu-ray 2D playback. Gave up and ripped to MKVs (though I could have just copied the .m2ts I guess) until Kodi Blu-ray improved.
(2015-08-31, 16:48)hdmkv Wrote: As I got my two RPi2's working well now (did a fresh setup, no overclocking, using a recent Kodi 16 build), I'm very happy with 3D (as well as 2D) performance. It's more seamless than with HiMedia, as it's all within a pure Kodi experience. HiMedia is equally good for 3D, provided they fix the two nagging issues: random audio dropouts w/24fps enabled, and 3D ghosting (former is the bigger issue).
The RPi2 doesn't support .ISO right? Does that mean you can't open and play an .ISO from an external drive or network share like the Windows & OpenELEC version can or is it more specific to some particular aspect of ISO playback?
  • 43(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17