• 90(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
(2015-09-02, 17:14)axlt2002 Wrote: Guys, two (stupid?) questions on my side:

1) Since DSPlayer is now only in the DX11 version, does this mean that I have to use it only with Kodi DX11 branch?
2) In any case, if I do not have DX11 instelled on my PC, is DSPlayer/Kodi DX11 backword compatible?

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

1) I think the DSPlayer installer is already merged with the DX11 branch.

2) I've been told my Intel HD 3000 is not DX11 compatible, but DSPlayer still works fine. So it must be backwards compatible.
(2015-09-02, 18:17)XTrojan Wrote: Regarding post-processing on TV's, should all be deactivated to not interfere with MadVR processing?

I noticed my Samsung TV "Sharpness" setting introduced ringing.

Sharpness should always been turned down to a low value to avoid edge enhancement. Resizing is done in madVR before output, so your TV's internal scaler is not important. But I believe sharpness settings are a form of post-process enhancement.
(2015-09-02, 22:27)Warner306 Wrote:
(2015-09-02, 18:17)XTrojan Wrote: Regarding post-processing on TV's, should all be deactivated to not interfere with MadVR processing?

Sharpness should always been turned down to a low value to avoid edge enhancement. Resizing is done in madVR before output, so your TV's internal scaler is not important. But I believe sharpness settings are a form of post-process enhancement.

I use Samsung TV, the only thing bugging me is if i should use "PC Mode" which is only supported at 60Hz -> smooth motion on needed. Also everything is disabled.

I use 24Hz with Motion plus enabled only.

I managed to get rid of nearly every dithering "bug" stutter or whatever by disabling everything except Motion Plus (to avoid 24Hz jitterness).

MadVR is awesome, unfortunately my TV is not and keeps annoying me >.<.
(2015-09-02, 22:41)XTrojan Wrote:
(2015-09-02, 22:27)Warner306 Wrote:

I use Samsung TV, the only thing bugging me is if i should use "PC Mode" which is only supported at 60Hz -> smooth motion on needed. Also everything is disabled.

I managed to get rid of nearly every dithering "bug" stutter or whatever by disabling everything except Motion Plus (to avoid 24Hz jitterness).

Don't use PC mode. Read the FAQ section at the end of this article for more information: http://referencehometheater.com/2014/com...s-limited/.
I'm baffling about using 24p mode with motion plus. Isn't motion plus is frame interpolating?
(2015-09-02, 23:29)Warner306 Wrote:
(2015-09-02, 22:41)XTrojan Wrote:
(2015-09-02, 22:27)Warner306 Wrote: Sharpness should always been turned down to a low value to avoid edge enhancement. Resizing is done in madVR before output, so your TV's internal scaler is not important. But I believe sharpness settings are a form of post-process enhancement.

Don't use PC mode. Read the FAQ section at the end of this article for more information: http://referencehometheater.com/2014/com...s-limited/.

PC Mode has support for limited range, it just disables everything on the TV pretty much making it into a monitor but only 60Hz is available. Question still remains though 24Hz with motion plus on vs 60Hz with smooth motion on & motion plus off? I'm unsure on this area which will produce better quality.

(2015-09-02, 23:41)oldpoem Wrote: I'm baffling about using 24p mode with motion plus. Isn't motion plus is frame interpolating?
Yes, disabling it however just results in choppy playback on 24P mode.
I always use PC Mode though. There are settings for all 3 main graphic vendors to output full rgb. Nvidia require registry hack which madshi provided called madtweaker. AMD / Intel has this settings in their control panel. But of course I use direct connection from PC to TV without amp in the middle. If you use external amp you might not want to use PC Mode though. Since amp output usually in limited range.
(2015-09-02, 23:41)XTrojan Wrote: Yes, disabling it however just results in choppy playback on 24P mode.

That's what baffling. If the source is 24p and TV is set to 24p, turn on frame interpolating shouldn't has any effect at all? It's understandable if TV is set to 60p mode the frame interpolating would make it more smooth & less struttering, but also comes with "soap opera effect". But for 24p? maybe your TV is not true 24p afterall?

Normally 24p film would jitter a bit especially in pan shot since it was filmed that way. The frame interpolating is post processing to create additional frames to make it looks more smoother. But most purist would turn it off though. But some prefer it this way like those who use SVP.

In the end, it's up to your taste. Let your eyes be the judge of which you prefer.
(2015-09-02, 23:52)oldpoem Wrote: I always use PC Mode though. There are settings for all 3 main graphic vendors to output full rgb. Nvidia require registry hack which madshi provided called madtweaker. AMD / Intel has this settings in their control panel. But of course I use direct connection from PC to TV without amp in the middle. If you use external amp you might not want to use PC Mode though. Since amp output usually in limited range.

Not true with nvidia anymore. it's in the nvidia control panel now as well.
(2015-09-02, 23:41)oldpoem Wrote: I'm baffling about using 24p mode with motion plus. Isn't motion plus is frame interpolating?

(2015-09-03, 00:02)oldpoem Wrote:
(2015-09-02, 23:41)XTrojan Wrote: Yes, disabling it however just results in choppy playback on 24P mode.

That's what baffling. If the source is 24p and TV is set to 24p, turn on frame interpolating shouldn't has any effect at all? It's understandable if TV is set to 60p mode the frame interpolating would make it more smooth & less struttering, but also comes with "soap opera effect". But for 24p? maybe your TV is not true 24p afterall?

Normally 24p film would jitter a bit especially in pan shot since it was filmed that way. The frame interpolating is post processing to create additional frames to make it looks more smoother. But most purist would turn it off though. But some prefer it this way like those who use SVP.

In the end, it's up to your taste. Let your eyes be the judge of which you prefer.

I overall dislike it because in fast-scenes it looks incredibly messy, it feels like an videogame on low framerate.

Motion-plus fixes this but some people are running 60Hz with smooth motion on instead, does smooth motion improve choppyness?
(2015-09-03, 00:47)XTrojan Wrote: I overall dislike it because in fast-scenes it looks incredibly messy, it feels like an videogame on low framerate.

Motion-plus fixes this but some people are running 60Hz with smooth motion on instead, does smooth motion improve choppyness?

All those post-processing tend to reduce struttering with some compromised effect. You have to see & compare with your eyes which you prefer. My preference would be turn off these techniques and stay with true 24p media. But when I decided to use these I prefer SVP over madvr smooth motion.
On my Samsung TV I've always been using PC mode because other modes activates some post-processing resulting in a messy image (just open a browser page with some text on it and you will see it). I also disable any kind of post-processing on the TV. Setting the color to warm 2.
I'm indeed limited to 60 Hz though, but using smooth motion I don't see any judder or stuttering so that's fine by me. When setting madvr to 1080p24, the TV exits PC mode so that's not an option.
Full (0-255) RGB range is set on the TV (I believe it's the "HDMI black level" set to normal) and on AMD catalyst center and colors are fine by me.
(2015-09-03, 07:42)spiderben25 Wrote: On my Samsung TV I've always been using PC mode because other modes activates some post-processing resulting in a messy image (just open a browser page with some text on it and you will see it). I also disable any kind of post-processing on the TV. Setting the color to warm 2.
I'm indeed limited to 60 Hz though, but using smooth motion I don't see any judder or stuttering so that's fine by me. When setting madvr to 1080p24, the TV exits PC mode so that's not an option.
Full (0-255) RGB range is set on the TV (I believe it's the "HDMI black level" set to normal) and on AMD catalyst center and colors are fine by me.

Thinking about this setting but PC mode has 0-235 range, is there any benefit running full if you're just playing blurays which are encoded 0-235 anyway?
(2015-09-03, 12:20)XTrojan Wrote:
(2015-09-03, 07:42)spiderben25 Wrote: On my Samsung TV I've always been using PC mode because other modes activates some post-processing resulting in a messy image (just open a browser page with some text on it and you will see it). I also disable any kind of post-processing on the TV. Setting the color to warm 2.

Thinking about this setting but PC mode has 0-235 range, is there any benefit running full if you're just playing blurays which are encoded 0-235 anyway?

i've never seen a tv that has a PC mode setting that isn't 0-255 range. but these now are questions for the madvr forum on doom9. plus they have been answered on that forums many times over.
(2015-09-03, 17:02)spencerjford Wrote:
(2015-09-03, 12:20)XTrojan Wrote:

i've never seen a tv that has a PC mode setting that isn't 0-255 range. but these now are questions for the madvr forum on doom9. plus they have been answered on that forums many times over.
"PC" Mode on samsung TV's doesn't mean 0-255 range, it just means all processing is disabled and it's basically a monitor.

I can run both settings, but i'm unsure wether to run standard limited or run full, bluray movies are always limited range so i assume i'm gonna run limited?
  • 90(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47