• 9(current)
Release ESPN 3
I have the situation that I have TWC internet only, but I have DirecTV satellite TV, which now supports WatchESPN/ESPN3. I can use a browser on my laptop and go to watchESPN and login by selecting DirecTV in the drop down box for "Provider", and it seems to bounce me to the Directv login site where I provide my Directv account login information (email and password). It works fine on the laptop. However, it doesn't work on Kodi/ESPN3.

I see that there is a "userdata.xml" in the ..\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.espn_3 directory.

Can I add the provider and account information to that file to make this work? Or does the ESPN3 app assume that the internet provider is the ESPN provider?

If this condition is allowed, what do I put where in the userdata.xm file?
(2015-09-07, 06:57)Arse4life Wrote: (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu) This is where it was. Tried the only 2 US Open events on now and it's working flawlessly. I don't have this issue on my other systems running OpenELEC. I'll bookmark this for future reference. Thanks for your help!

Happy to help. Luckily this happened to me a few months ago so I already knew how to fix it.

Thanks for the rep bump! Smile

(2015-09-07, 13:00)DonQatWC Wrote: MetalChris,
Thanks for the quick response. I changed the user data file and it's working. Now, I did change providers 2 months ago, I use the faster TWC. What is the affiliate name for TWC in the user data file in case CB stops working?

Thanks!

I have TWC internet only and use 'twc_sso' for the affiliate name. I'm not able to watch any of the HLS streams though, only the HDS and RTMP streams. Sadly, it seems that ESPN is transitioning almost everything to the HLS format.

(2015-09-07, 13:27)jfabernathy Wrote: I have the situation that I have TWC internet only, but I have DirecTV satellite TV, which now supports WatchESPN/ESPN3. I can use a browser on my laptop and go to watchESPN and login by selecting DirecTV in the drop down box for "Provider", and it seems to bounce me to the Directv login site where I provide my Directv account login information (email and password). It works fine on the laptop. However, it doesn't work on Kodi/ESPN3.

I see that there is a "userdata.xml" in the ..\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.espn_3 directory.

Can I add the provider and account information to that file to make this work? Or does the ESPN3 app assume that the internet provider is the ESPN provider?

Follow steps 2 & 4 on this page to see how to modify your existing userdata.xml file. Try using 'directtv' or directtv_sso' for your affiliate name.

If you need to create a new userdata.xml file, go to this page while logged in to the WatchESPN site, then save the page as userdata.xml (no caps) and edit as needed.
Kodi Nexus on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 22.04 | Kodi Nexus on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
>>>>> Newest MetalChris Addons: NEWSnet | NHL Radio | Weather Unlocked
(2015-09-07, 15:06)MetalChris Wrote:
(2015-09-07, 06:57)Arse4life Wrote: (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu) This is where it was. Tried the only 2 US Open events on now and it's working flawlessly. I don't have this issue on my other systems running OpenELEC. I'll bookmark this for future reference. Thanks for your help!

Happy to help. Luckily this happened to me a few months ago so I already knew how to fix it.

Thanks for the quick response. I changed the user data file and it's working. Now, I did change providers 2 months ago, I use the faster TWC. What is the affiliate name for TWC in the user data file in case CB stops working?

Thanks!

I have TWC internet only and use 'twc_sso' for the affiliate name. I'm not able to watch any of the HLS streams though, only the HDS and RTMP streams. Sadly, it seems that ESPN is transitioning almost everything to the HLS format.

(2015-09-07, 13:27)jfabernathy Wrote: I have the situation that I have TWC internet only, but I have DirecTV satellite TV, which now supports WatchESPN/ESPN3. I can use a browser on my laptop and go to watchESPN and login by selecting DirecTV in the drop down box for "Provider", and it seems to bounce me to the Directv login site where I provide my Directv account login information (email and password). It works fine on the laptop. However, it doesn't work on Kodi/ESPN3.

Follow steps 2 & 4 on this page to see how to modify your existing userdata.xml file. Try using 'directtv' or directtv_sso' for your affiliate name.

If you need to create a new userdata.xml file, go to this page while logged in to the WatchESPN site, then save the page as userdata.xml (no caps) and edit as needed.

I will review the references, but wanted to add that I thought about trying going to WatchESPN on my Kodibuntu PC using the browser to see if I could login and watch ESPN3 the same as I could on my Macbook Pro. However, I could not get thru the login process or at least it fails immediately after that with an Unknown error. Would that be expected because of a missing library that Kodi can get around?

https://sp.auth.adobe.com/sp/saml/SAMLAssertionConsumer
Authentication Error

A timeout or configuration error caused this operation to fail. The error has been logged. Please try again.

Details: Show | Hide
Request failed

The request failed. The reason is:

Error unknown.
Subscribed
(2015-09-07, 15:15)jfabernathy Wrote:
(2015-09-07, 15:06)MetalChris Wrote:

Thanks!

I will review the references, but wanted to add that I thought about trying going to WatchESPN on my Kodibuntu PC using the browser to see if I could login and watch ESPN3 the same as I could on my Macbook Pro. However, I could not get thru the login process or at least it fails immediately after that with an Unknown error. Would that be expected because of a missing library that Kodi can get around?

Authentication Error

A timeout or configuration error caused this operation to fail. The error has been logged. Please try again.

Request failed

Error unknown.

Since a lot of the examples are based on Windows usage, I went to the Windows 7 PC and installed Kodi and the ESPN3 add-in. I used the information in the link this page to get the SWID and edit the userdata.xml file. Still not working. Below is my userdata as last tried, but with the SWID redacted. I also tried "directv", "directtv", "directv_sso', and "directtv_sso:

No luck so far.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<user>
<affiliate>
<name>directtv_sso</name>
<imageUrl><![CDATA[http://a.espncdn.com/espn360/images/affi...</imageUrl>
<websiteUrl><![CDATA[]]></websiteUrl>
<localAdAccountId></localAdAccountId>
<filterESPN3>false</filterESPN3>
</affiliate>

<location>
<ip>xx.xxx.xxx.xxx</ip> changed from original.......
<country>united states</country>
<city>apex</city>
<state>north carolina</state>
<continent>na</continent>
<dma>560</dma>
<zipCode></zipCode>
<domain>rr.com</domain>
<timeZone>America/New_York</timeZone>
<locationAuthorized>true</locationAuthorized>
</location>

<personalization loginStatus="ANONYMOUS" swid="{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxx}">
<username></username>
<affinity></affinity>
</personalization>
<domainAllowed>false</domainAllowed>
</user>
@MetalChris, it was the least I could do. All tennis is currently working. And def looking forward to some Euro qualifiers and also France playing later, as well. ESPN 3 has stepped up with picture quality this year. Thanks again.
(2015-09-07, 17:39)jfabernathy Wrote:
(2015-09-07, 15:15)jfabernathy Wrote:
(2015-09-07, 15:06)MetalChris Wrote: Follow steps 2 & 4 on this page to see how to modify your existing userdata.xml file. Try using 'directtv' or directtv_sso' for your affiliate name.

Authentication Error

Request failed

Error unknown.

Since a lot of the examples are based on Windows usage, I went to the Windows 7 PC and installed Kodi and the ESPN3 add-in. I used the information in the link this page to get the SWID and edit the userdata.xml file. Still not working. Below is my userdata as last tried, but with the SWID redacted. I also tried "directv", "directtv", "directv_sso', and "directtv_sso:

No luck so far.

Ok, since DirectTV is now owned by AT&T, try using 'att' or 'att_sso' for the affiliate name.

I've also noticed several items in your userdata.xml that are not in mine:

Code:
<localAdAccountId></localAdAccountId>
<filterESPN3>false</filterESPN3>

<timeZone>America/New_York</timeZone>
<locationAuthorized>true</locationAuthorized>
</location>

<affinity></affinity>
</personalization>
<domainAllowed>false</domainAllowed>

Not sure what, if any, effect this is having since the add-on itself only reads the affiliate name and SWID. Might be worth it to try changing the 'false' values to 'true', or even removing these altogether.

As far as the authentication error you posted previously - I've never seen that before, but I do have theory:

The WatchESPN website uses adobe flash, both for rendering the video, and also authenticating. Adobe no longer supports flash for Linux, so this may be why your system is unable to authenticate.

I've been using the Pipelight plugin for Linux, which allows use of the Windows version of flash (and also Silverlight and a few others). I also use the FlashBlock add-on with Firefox, so I have to manually activate flash in a webpage. I've noticed that there are 2 instances of flash that appear at the top of the WatchESPN website that I must activate, or the site will not authenticate.

Just a theory though.

(2015-09-07, 19:10)Arse4life Wrote: @MetalChris, it was the least I could do. All tennis is currently working. And def looking forward to some Euro qualifiers and also France playing later, as well. ESPN 3 has stepped up with picture quality this year. Thanks again.

Hopefully with your configuration you're able to view the HLS streams. I've looked at the upcoming feed, and it seems that the US Open and a couple of other events are the only ones that are not in HLS format.
Kodi Nexus on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 22.04 | Kodi Nexus on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
HI everyone , I'm new comer to XBMC . I just installed kodi and tried the add on ESPN3 , when i tried to play some channel , the error show :
" SMIL URL Blank
Unable to playback video "

Tomorrow is the final US open , I really want to watch it in HD , please help me . Im living in CANADA

thanks
(2015-09-13, 01:22)pvanvu Wrote: HI everyone , I'm new comer to XBMC . I just installed kodi and tried the add on ESPN3 , when i tried to play some channel , the error show :
" SMIL URL Blank
Unable to playback video "

Tomorrow is the final US open , I really want to watch it in HD , please help me . Im living in CANADA

thanks
ESPN 3 available only in USA.
cant get espn 3 to work..during the week i had no problem..but all day today ..i click on live game but nothing
can you give us a log, @pittro?
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009
log ??..
(2015-09-13, 17:25)locomot1f Wrote: can you give us a log, @pittro?

My guess is another 'SMIL Url Empty' error.

(2015-09-13, 18:56)pittro Wrote: log ??..

Post a link to your Kodi log (wiki). Can't really help without one.
i think i found a fix to list only the RTMP / HDS streams on the addon.

can some of the faithful try my github version to see if it works?

starting to see that most categories are ALL HLS, or ALL RTMP.
All of soccer is HLS format, atm.

I've tested against tennis, and baseball/softball, so far.
https://github.com/locomot1f/plugin.video.espn_3
be sure to go to settings to turn on the option.

still haven't had much time to really focus on the Adobe Pass scripts. but it's on my todo list.
Linux Mint 18 LTS 64-bit - Kodi 17 Beta6
Odroid-C2 - Libreelec v7.90.009
Just tried it and it seems to work after enabling the option in settings.

Still a sad puppy about all these HLS streams though Sad
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ESPN 32