• 24(current)
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805
Yes true. HardKernel were left floundering around with the HDMI clock problem, upon initial release. Thank god that was fixed. Minor issues since then have been fixed promptly.

I don't think any platform will ever have the fantastic support the RPi2 enjoys, it really is the king if users need that for a media player.

AMlogic would be the guys to question about the multichannel PCM question. Vidon seem to be doing HDMI HD Audio passthrough on the MINIX AMlogic S812 so maybe it is just drivers.

I was also disappointed about sd card support on c1 and about the statement that it will not be fixed in c1. So i have sold everything. The only one who is making C1 media center user friendly is only wrxtasy. So it is almost single point of failure system.
Actually thats not true at all. There is great HardKernel community support.

There are other setups on the C1+, Android works. Kodi running on Ubuntu works well and is receiving C++ Kodi development work currently on the HardKernel forums, so it runs a more robust AMlogic decoder. It's easy to download and setup.
HardKernel themselves are actually providing weekly Kodi images for Ubuntu C1+ users.

The C1 SD card issue would have been easily rectified by buying any Sandisk SD card instead of selling the whole setup. I use an old $4 class 4 Sandisk without problems.

The new C1+ uses any type of SD cards without any of the previous issues.

Make no mistake, the C1+ is still an awesome little box. The + version has taken care of a bunch of issues, and it can be a better fit for some people than a Pi2, depending on what the user needs.
(2015-09-08, 11:21)giacombum Wrote:
(2015-09-07, 16:12)noggin Wrote: I'd go for wrxtasy's OpenElec builds - have a look around the forum and you'll find them. They're really the best solution for an ODroid C1 at the moment.

And in your opinion, what's the best option: buy an emmc 16 gb module or with this money buy a 32 gb class 10 sd and the flirc module? I know that it's a strange question, but I haven't understand if the performance difference between sd and emmc justify the cost.

Unless you are doing a lot of Ubuntu compiling which involves lots of R/W operations with a big swap file there is no point in getting the emmc module. OpenELEC / Kodi does not conduct a lot of write operations at all, even a lowly class 4 - Sandisk 4 GB sd card works well and is quick with OpenELEC.
Get the cheapest class 10 Sandisk or Samsung sd card you can find.

There are two remote control options already included:
- HDMI CEC control if you have a HDMI control compatible TV
- the built in IR Receiver that can be configured and mapped to any remote by a user generating a simple Lirc configure script. Takes a little bit of time and patience.

- FLIRC is the dead easy option. Configure on a PC to the full Kodi keyboard controls mapping and then just plug into the C1+
The other bonus with FLIRC is that its transferrable. You can plug it into any Kodi / OpenELEC device and it will work exactly the same without reconfiguring.

I'm thinking of putting together a board (RPi2 or C1) with a DAC for music playback (Kodi + addon to Squeeze Server) and the release of the RPi 7" LCD makes this an attractive & affordable standalone proposition.
There's a strong case for buying C1/C1+ over the RPi according to your comparisons but can I achieve this same using a ODROID?

a) external USB or daughter board DAC ?
b) 7" (£50) touch LCD powered by the board ?

I'd also use it as a secondary media player for full HD 3D mkv playback as I'm limited to half SBS / OU atm.

Advice appreciated.
a) There is a $39 HiFi Shield Daughter Board available, that is being used with Volumio or Rune Audio or Kodi.
Looks like you get a nice Headless player with RuneAudio using a Web interface for control by a Smartphone / iPad / Tablet / touch LCD

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/...3729448865
http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/odroid-f26.html

b) There is a touch LCD project already running with RuneAudio + the HiFi Shield.
http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/runeaudio...t1371.html

Kodi currently does not support 3D MVC aka full HD 3D for AMlogic devices such as the S805 in the C1+ even though the SoC supports it. I believe the Kodi Android dev. Koying was experimenting with AMlogic MVC stuff at one stage.

The RPi is your only Kodi hardware option if you want 3D MVC.

I just ordered this few days ago based on the recommendations in this thread but I am a bit disappointed by the fact that CEC is not 100% working as expected with my TV (Sub menu button does not work) and Plexus addon does not work at all. I can live with the CEC issue but Plexus addon is a huge deal for me since I like watching live soccer a lot on P2PSport addon. Performance wise, I hardly see the difference between this board and RPi2 when mainly watchin online contents. I am going to return it next week if I can't find a way to make Plexus work. Fyi, I am using the latest OpenELEC image from wrxtasy.

Does anyone have this issue or just me? Any help is appreciated.
(2015-09-15, 20:26)niceshot Wrote: I just ordered this few days ago based on the recommendations in this thread but I am a bit disappointed by the fact that CEC is not 100% working as expected with my TV (Sub menu button does not work) and Plexus addon does not work at all. I can live with the CEC issue but Plexus addon is a huge deal for me since I like watching live soccer a lot on P2PSport addon. Performance wise, I hardly see the difference between this board and RPi2 when mainly watchin online contents. I am going to return it next week if I can't find a way to make Plexus work. Fyi, I am using the latest OpenELEC image from wrxtasy.

In my experience the only real advantage to the Odroid C1 is the HEVC support. The downsides are no-3D and no-HD or PCM multichannel audio. There is a discussion to be had about deinterlacing.

The CEC issues are probably more that your TV doesn't send the right CEC commands for the buttons you want mapped.

As for streaming add-ons, if they are delivering content you should be paying for... They won't be discussed here...
I believe the Amber and TitanMediaBrowser Skins have hooks that work with PleXBMC:
http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-and-ple...bmc-addon/

As for CEC, well I did warn people about the AMlogic way of HDMI CEC control is not a comprehensive as Pulse Eight's LibCEC as you would find on the RPi. A custom IR map of any IR remote is far more flexible and responsive anyway, then use the C1's inbuilt IR receiver. I use the BD button function and use my IR TV remote control and it works very well.

P2P Streams, well you are up to the mercy of the addon author and sites streaming that content, no help can be found here. If this addon is not working with Kodi 15.2rc2 then I would be surprised if it worked on the RPi running Kodi 15.2rc2 or any other platform anyway.

(2015-09-15, 21:50)noggin Wrote: In my experience the only real advantage to the Odroid C1 is the HEVC support. The downsides are no-3D and no-HD or PCM multichannel audio. There is a discussion to be had about deinterlacing.
Noggin is correct, if you need 1080p HEVC Hardware decoding or quality deinterlacing or using the device as a TvHeadend server get the C1+ otherwise the RPi2 may be a better option. 3D does work, its 3D MVC that is unsupported like it is on every other platform.

I find this encouraging...
Quote:- HD audio passthrough should work, I said should because I tried it on a S805 and it worked, I doubt they regressed (but can't test right now as I have the Core away from the HT with HD audio support)

http://wetekforums.com/vb5/forum/wetek-p...#post15684

Time to get HardKernel looking at another AMlogic Kernel patch....

(2015-09-16, 03:49)wrxtasy Wrote:
Quote:- HD audio passthrough should work, I said should because I tried it on a S805 and it worked, I doubt they regressed (but can't test right now as I have the Core away from the HT with HD audio support)

http://wetekforums.com/vb5/forum/wetek-p...#post15684

Time to get HardKernel looking at another AMlogic Kernel patch....
If it worked with Amlogic kernel, Minix would have had it. It does work with VidOn XBMC/Kodi versions on Minix boxes, but I don't think it works with regular Kodi versions (I could be wrong also).
I suspect Oversun over on the ODROID forum would have a stab at it. We already have an alternative AMlogic video decoder for Kodi from him.

And unlike VidOn, it would very likely be shared with the wider Kodi community. I still cannot believe a Kodi forum sponsor like MINIX are allowing VidOn anywhere near their platform or forums, we still see none of their source code. VidOn are nothing better than Kodi leaches.

(2015-09-16, 03:49)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-09-15, 21:50)noggin Wrote: In my experience the only real advantage to the Odroid C1 is the HEVC support. The downsides are no-3D and no-HD or PCM multichannel audio. There is a discussion to be had about deinterlacing.
Noggin is correct, if you need 1080p HEVC Hardware decoding or quality deinterlacing or using the device as a TvHeadend server get the C1+ otherwise the RPi2 may be a better option. 3D does work, its 3D MVC that is unsupported like it is on every other platform.

However I think it is fair to describe the current YADIF 2x implementation that the Pi 2 has in 576i SD, and now 1080i HD with a modest overclock is also 'quality deinterlacing'. I know wrxtasy prefers the, to my eyes, slightly artificial edge-enhanced look of the AMLogic, personally I prefer my video to be as originated (and less processed), and would describe the Pi 2's deinterlace as a quality deinterlace too. Neither are quite as good as a high quality nVidia Temporal/Spatial 2x deinterlace - but both stand up reasonably well against an Intel MADI and MCDI (though I think the Intel MCDI is better) I watch a lot of Live 1080i H264/50i Freeview HD on the Pi 2 and it handles it pretty well.

There was, at one point, a bug in the Pi's MMAL Advanced deinterlace which introduced jagged artefacts (I think due to some field-inversion at times) but these were found and fixed, and then some of the deinterlace code was moved to another bit of the SoC to allow it to work at 1080i. (Previously you just had a good quality Bob 2x deinterlace at 1080i. Better than a basic Bob, but not YADIF 2x quality).

The CEC implementation on the Pi / Pi 2 works better for me as it controls my AVR. The C1 appears not to be able to with the current CEC implementation.
Silly question but 1) does this do Netflix HD with dd+ over hdmi in android? And 2) is there a nice (thinking of WAF here) loader that allows you to pick android or openelec available? Pi 2 does everything I want but a little basic android gaming and a way to get Netflix on the projector would be good.
(2015-09-19, 00:18)nikc0069 Wrote: Silly question but 1) does this do Netflix HD with dd+ over hdmi in android? And 2) is there a nice (thinking of WAF here) loader that allows you to pick android or openelec available? Pi 2 does everything I want but a little basic android gaming and a way to get Netflix on the projector would be good.

Netflix is 480p SD only on the C1.
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S8051