• 61(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2015-09-16, 20:45)fritsch Wrote: @Ney: makes me wonder anyways. As this runs in my living room - cannot afford that some of the addons, the wife is using, won't work anymore :-) without any issues.

Rule 1:

Happy Wife = Happy Life

Wink
So trueSmile The reason I don't have time now to test my systemSmile
(2015-09-16, 20:57)cscoppa Wrote:
(2015-09-16, 20:45)fritsch Wrote: @Ney: makes me wonder anyways. As this runs in my living room - cannot afford that some of the addons, the wife is using, won't work anymore :-) without any issues.

Rule 1:

Happy Wife = Happy Life

Wink

I am afraid, if it would not work - mine would start writing here own mediacenter ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-09-16, 08:47)fritsch Wrote: Oki - please verify this. As drops would really suck and something is wrong.

Yeah, no drops, they're skips - my bad.
(2015-09-16, 20:57)cscoppa Wrote: Happy Wife = Happy Life

Tell me about it.. the living room PC runs a custom built OE 4.2.1 with my tuner drivers due to this reason only. I'm planning to go for 6.0 when it's out though and take the (hopefully not physical) hit when the rest of the family realizes the skin has changed. Had to buy a another NUC to test these cutting edge things. Smile
(2015-09-16, 20:17)fritsch Wrote: No - Debug Log is sufficient. You are aware that you run an alpha build with rough edges, right?

Ok, tomorrow I'll provide log.

Of course I know that it's alpha build and some rough edges exist. Just want to report everything what seems to me important. If you decide that it's alpha-bug and will be gone in normal release it's ok for me. But on the other hand i want to report everything to be good beta-tester and to have best final product :-)
(2015-09-16, 12:39)fritsch Wrote: ...I can build when I get home. ...

Hey Fritsch, Didn't u have time for building? Sad ... Sadly I'm not able to build it on my own ....No offense!
You had 24 hours time to learn building didn't you?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Not during work, sorry ... Sad
Guess what I am normally doing during the day - 60 hours a week?
(2015-09-17, 08:12)fritsch Wrote: Guess what I am normally doing during the day - 60 hours a week?

I "TRY" to work in IT at a 1000 room hotel ^_^
But I don't know how you are always online.Huh?
Ok, set up a VM with Ubuntu ....

I'm now trying to build with this tutorial (http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...rom_source) with your sources ...

hopefully it'll work Smile ..
A fellow member suggested I check this out. Lots of tech talk here that's tough even for a video nerd to follow. Some questions if someone has time...

I have a Haswell i5 Mac Mini and most of my media is BR remux or high-bit rate x264.

- What are the key pros/cons to this alpha vs the generic OpenElec build? Benefits? Downsides?
- What is and is not HA on Haswell with this Alpha? (No HEVC? What else?)
- In setting up OpenElec / Kodi to get proper video levels (16-235) I had to disable the "Prefer VAAPI render method" setting in Kodi. I see that setting is recommended here. Is that bug fixed?

Ps. On the recent discussion related to bitstreaming and sync to display, I think bitstreaming is going to be the only way to enjoy Atmos and DTS:X. I just invested in a new receiver and overhead speakers, and Atmos is the best thing since the inception of surround sound Smile. But how can I tell if I'm getting perfect sync or not without sync to display enabled?
@VirtualRain: Everything is fully explained in the very first post. Even with nice pictures ...

Quote:- In setting up OpenElec / Kodi to get proper video levels (16-235) I had to disable the "Prefer VAAPI render method" setting in Kodi. I see that setting is recommended here. Is that bug fixed?

^^ You did not even try to read the first post ...

Quote:- What is and is not HA on Haswell with this Alpha? (No HEVC? What else?)
All fine ... besides no hw decoding unit for HEVC

Quote:But how can I tell if I'm getting perfect sync or not without sync to display enabled?

If you don't see an issue - then there is no issue for you.
Quote:Besides the performance issue, this putSurface method always scaled the limited color range of the original files to FULL RGB. Introducing Banding or even worse it was scaled twice, e.g. back to limited, by the driver itself. All this won't happen anymore, cause the new zero copy approach allows us to directly render the decoded NV12 surface with our own shader. So all color conversions are in our hands now.

Furthermore we got implemented a feature called dithering, which will add random noise to the color scaled image when it is output on a FULL RGB monitor / lcd. So even perfect full range without any banding is now possible for VAAPI decoded material

Take care to read the second post concerning the xrandr command which is needed.
  • 61(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18