• 4(current)
ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding
Was anything done on this project? I see that it was accepted, but the op only has three posts, the latest from March 19th??
Yes this project went ahead, I'm sure a blog post will come out soon with a summary of all the GSOC results.
(2015-09-01, 23:51)zag Wrote: Yes this project went ahead, I'm sure a blog post will come out soon with a summary of all the GSOC results.
I'm not familiar with the process and sequence of events. So after GSOC results what happens next, is it fully developed or is this only midway through the development process etc? How long on average to a release following GSOC results normally?

Cheers
Not sure about any user announcements yet on the project, but you can check his codebase here

https://github.com/MarkMuth/xbmc/commits/gsoc2015-2
(2015-09-22, 10:27)zag Wrote: Not sure about any user announcements yet on the project, but you can check his codebase here

Thanks, looks promising if he found time to be able to do documentation and a cleanup in August. Fingers crossed he has made some good progress.
(2015-09-22, 10:27)zag Wrote: Not sure about any user announcements yet on the project, but you can check his codebase here

There's JSON support you have just made me very happy for today Smile
(2015-09-22, 11:02)Tolriq Wrote:

There's JSON support you have just made me very happy for today Smile
Why is this important Tolriq, just curious?
I would imagine there could be a possiblity of streaming videos to the remote controls on the app stores.

This would be huge!
Yatse already support that to itself or UPnP or Chromecast / Airplay Smile

But there's tons of users that needs streaming of incompatible media to Chromecast and transcoding allows that.
And lot's of users that want to stream their TV shows on the bus and transcoding make it possible even if bad internet connection Smile (Seems current implementation only support Movies but I'm sure shows will be supported at some time)

For myself this is needed when I want to stream very large MKV to my bedroom and the wifi does not support the large bitrate.
My main reason for looking at this thread is that my Synology NAS (DS215J) isn't powerful enough to do transcoding and the DLNA protocol is limiting what I can send to my new OLED TV due to lack of codec support.

Am I right in thinking if I buy the Nvidia Shield TV, install Kodi, that potentially with this new feature Kodi could read from my NAS (over SMB/NTFS) and transcode files if it needed to for the TV? I assume the shield is capable enough.

Thanks
(2015-09-22, 11:56)david.kennedy Wrote: My main reason for looking at this thread is that my Synology NAS (DS215J) isn't powerful enough to do transcoding and the DLNA protocol is limiting what I can send to my new OLED TV due to lack of codec support.

Am I right in thinking if I buy the Nvidia Shield TV, install Kodi, that potentially with this new feature Kodi could read from my NAS (over SMB/NTFS) and transcode files if it needed to for the TV? I assume the shield is capable enough.

Thanks

Theoretically yes? The benefit of the idea of a Kodi distributed network is that any Kodi box can do the decoding work. With that said, I wouldn't hold my breath on this being merged in the very near future. Lots to do, particularly on the Kodi end, before this can be accepted as a PR, as I understand it.
It will be capable enough only if ffmpeg have the necessary code to transcode using VPU / CPU and not CPU.

You need to wait for a release and see what is supported / possible, because decoding + transcoding is CPU killer if done by CPU.
So both source codec and destination codec should be GPU decoded / encoded.
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

I'm not sure but maybe the Shield has decent codecs already installed on board which might mean Kodi doesn't need to transcode the 4k files I want to send from my NAS. The file DLNA struggled with was a Mpeg part2/H.265 codec one.
(2015-09-22, 12:21)david.kennedy Wrote: Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

I'm not sure but maybe the Shield has decent codecs already installed on board which might mean Kodi doesn't need to transcode the 4k files I want to send from my NAS. The file DLNA struggled with was a Mpeg part2/H.265 codec one.

Mpeg 2/ 1080i is the largest need for most of us with low powered devices because so many of them can't handle de-interlacing well. The possible ability to keep one high quality copy of each piece of media, FLAC for Music, HD Video and then have a single relatively powerful server transcode for each device on demand is incredibly exciting. Great to se progress being made and can't wait to hear more about the results of this GSOC project.
The believe the container can vary, but according to the student he used this in testing:

Quote:Video was encoded in H.264 and all audio streams encoded in AAC. All streams are multiplexed into a MP4 file.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding1