• 59(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
Quote:Something I have learnt whilst getting older - you can NEVER please everyone!!!!!
So true. Thanks Smile. I will drop RPi2 to an 'A' in the next chart update (as A+ may have been the Holy Grail, which it isn't and no player is).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-09-22, 21:03)3dgeek Wrote:
(2015-09-22, 17:15)hdmkv Wrote:
Quote:My question is, what is criteria or the necessary features that a device need to a get A+
I think we should set a standard so there wouldn't be no preferences.
For now, I'm making that call based on my subjective impressions obviously, but also objective tests and overall user feedback on forums. But, if you want to develop a new rating system (maybe vote-based), I'm good with that, to replace what I'm doing now.

Setting up a vote based system would be silly.

Something I have learnt whilst getting older - you cen NEVER please everyone!!!!! So, please keep it exactly as it is. Your chart and review is what got me (and others) here and the comments and grades helped me tremendously.

Since it is mainly about 3D - it is obviously more important that 3D works faultless in correct framerate, than still exotic ATMOS which probably only very few people use.

Yes, there will always be people saying you are wrong - but as soon as you listen to them and change your system, others are going to be unhappy.

Just keep it exactly as it is, the comments in this section can be read by anyone and so all good and bad can be read here.

Maybe one day the player to rule them all will suddenly be available - but probably not. Been dreaming about that device for years...

For now the Pi2 is probably the best player you can get for your money, with a very close but double the price Q5. Someone needing ATMOS more than 3D without issues, probably should get the Q5.

Nobody is complaining about how the chart is,i just think the chart should be base on features.
The title of the charts is 3D and HD Audio,no just 3D.If the title of the Chart is about 3D playback in Kodi then RPi2 deserve to be A++,but that is not what the chart is about.
HD Audio is not only about 8 channel or ATMOS Wink,I remember when Kodi was not supporting DTS HD /DOBLY TRUEHD and everyone wanted that feature,so now DTS HD NEO 6/X /TRUEHD doesn't count.Huh

I think most people are not even worried about 23.976 refresh rate,just as Bitstream.

So since this is about HD Audio and 3D, i think a device should have all those features to deserve a A+.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Pi2 does have HD audio, for up to 7.1 channels. Just no ATMOS and DTS:X, which are the newest extensions for HD audio.
My HT
(2015-09-22, 22:01)hdmkv Wrote: Pi2 does have HD audio, for up to 7.1 channels. Just no ATMOS and DTS:X, which are the newest extensions for HD audio.

What about DTS HD MA and DOLBY TRUEHD?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Yes! RPi2 is decoding both formats to uncompressed PCM (same as your AVR does) and sending to your AVR. With passthrough/bitstreaming, your AVR is doing that work.
My HT
No plans for 3D on nVidia Shield TV. Hope they reconsider, but not expecting it.
My HT
(2015-09-22, 22:06)movie78 Wrote:
(2015-09-22, 22:01)hdmkv Wrote: Pi2 does have HD audio, for up to 7.1 channels. Just no ATMOS and DTS:X, which are the newest extensions for HD audio.

What about DTS HD MA and DOLBY TRUEHD?

Both are supported with lossless decode to multichannel PCM with one limitation for rare 192kHz mulitchannel audio. To all intents and purposes, for nearly every DTS HD MA / Dolby True HD track released on Blu-ray, you will get lossless decoding.

There is a hardware limitation in the Pi and Pi 2 that means 192kHz tracks are limited to 4.0 or less, but 48/96kHz stuff works up to 7.1 (and 192kHz >4.0 stuff can be down sampled). 16-24 bit audio is supported at all sampling rates I believe.

This also means that the Pi / Pi 2 will play FLAC multichannel over PCM, as well as handle multichannel lossy AAC stuff (and other codecs that can't be bitstreamed) - which is great for Freeview HD in the UK.
(2015-09-23, 03:25)hdmkv Wrote: No plans for 3D on nVidia Shield TV. Hope they reconsider, but not expecting it.

Too bad, device is no good for me then
(2015-09-22, 13:20)hdmkv Wrote: Re: grades and Pi2 in particular, panckage, not intending to "mislead" anyone, rather the opposite. Maybe just say "recommended" for Pi2 and Q5, and leave out the grades? Although I can see that being controversial as well Wink.
That would make more sense to me. Maybe say 'best currently available option." Still though I would rate my bluetimes box a C+ at best and I find it works much better than the rp2....

Zero BD menu support is certainly not A+. Having Bluray 3D support only available in beta builds doesn't sonud vey A+ either
You're not going to get BD menu on any media player due to Cinavia. Even on VidOn, it sometimes worked, other times not.
My HT
(2015-09-23, 13:19)Skank Wrote:
(2015-09-23, 03:25)hdmkv Wrote: No plans for 3D on nVidia Shield TV. Hope they reconsider, but not expecting it.

Too bad, device is no good for me then

I hope Nvidia was talking about 3D for Netflix and HBO apps, not for regular player as it is already working well for SBS and HOU files
(2015-09-23, 18:58)hdmkv Wrote: You're not going to get BD menu on any media player due to Cinavia. Even on VidOn, it sometimes worked, other times not.
What's Cinavia have to do with menus?
(2015-09-24, 05:21)Stereodude Wrote: What's Cinavia have to do with menus?

To show menus you need a licence - and with the licence comes Cinavia.

Therefore no 3D-able players show BD menu anymore. You can get older players that still do for 2D-

There are also hacks for some Blu-Ray players that make it possible to have a Menu and ISO - but obviously not legally.
Kodi doesn't have a licence.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-09-24, 12:47)nickr Wrote: Kodi doesn't have a licence.

can be development in future as buy like option? like rapsy for mpg2
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
  • 59(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17