• 89(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
@fritsch - How can I know if my TV is Full or Limited range? I've Panasonic TX-P50ST50 FullHD plasma. Here is my xrandr output:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/12596729/
(2015-09-27, 22:55)BigL-New Wrote: @fritsch - How can I know if my TV is Full or Limited range? I've Panasonic TX-P50ST50 FullHD plasma. Here is my xrandr output:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/12596729/

Nobody knows. Use a test pattern :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
On test pattern black below level 16 is identical to level 16 so I guess it's limited range :-)

BTW thanks for your great work - with latest ppa build (git20150927.0952-60636ac) everything is sooo great :-)

Also kernel 4.2.0-rc8 you gave me few days ago works without any problems.
Just want to report that audio/video sync problems in Fullscreen-LiveTV (change of framerate to 50HZ) and some other issues I had on some PCs (stuttering with some videos) seem to be gone with latest nightly build OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-6.0-devel-20150926201943-r21367-g889d3f9

Btw.: Did this test on all my five TVs and Monitors and they were all showing all squares quiet nicely. So it seems that all support RGB full range - correct?

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/P...p/30409245

Thanks for you hard work!

FantasticN
Depends on your kodi settings ... If you did _not_ tick "Use Limited Range" - we output full rgb, else Limited.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-09-27, 23:50)BigL-New Wrote: On test pattern black below level 16 is identical to level 16 so I guess it's limited range :-)

BTW thanks for your great work - with latest ppa build (git20150927.0952-60636ac) everything is sooo great :-)

Also kernel 4.2.0-rc8 you gave me few days ago works without any problems.

Your ST50 can handle both full and limited range RGB. Check in the menu under options.
Most television are either A) fixed to limited range, which is what that test is for, or B) able to auto-detect the range of the signal and adjust accordingly.

With this test build, it's ALWAYS outputting full range RGB. The "Use Limited Range" tick box manually adjusts the system to output limited range, but it does not produce a signal that can be auto-detected by televisions as limited range - so on a TV that supports full range, ticking that box will only make the picture appear washed out. However, it will look fine on a television fixed to limited range, or one that can be manually forced into limited range mode.

If your primary Kodi purpose is video watching, you actually DO want limited range output, because that's how videos are encoded and color spaces don't need to be converted. When outputting full range, 16-235 video content must be expanded to 0-255, which isn't that bad now thanks to the new dithering option, but still a conversion it would be nice to avoid. :-)
I was just pointing out that this particular TV can be forced to either full or limited range, not proposing full range.
Panasonic Plasma 50 and 60 series can do full and limited rgb and i confirm that auto mode doesn't work very well

If i try to play 16-235 content it's expanded to 0-255 so i must manually select limited (also in tv setting)

BUT for strange reason i must set +2 for contrast in kodi cause white 235 is little grey while in dither mode it's perfect
Quote:If i try to play 16-235 content it's expanded to 0-255 so i must manually select limited (also in tv setting)

That's wrong ... only if "Use Limited Range" is _not_ selected.

Quote:BUT for strange reason i must set +2 for contrast in kodi cause white 235 is little grey while in dither mode it's perfect

Contrast is a multiplicative operation ... you for sure don't want that.
(2015-09-28, 12:31)Roby77 Wrote: Panasonic Plasma 50 and 60 series can do full and limited rgb and i confirm that auto mode doesn't work very well

If i try to play 16-235 content it's expanded to 0-255 so i must manually select limited (also in tv setting)

BUT for strange reason i must set +2 for contrast in kodi cause white 235 is little grey while in dither mode it's perfect

What exactly do you mean by dither mode? Enabling dithering while in limited range tv + kodi or going full range with dithering?

Generally, calibrating the picture through kodi sounds wrong. You shouldn't have fiddle with contrast if the TV is setup right.
(2015-09-16, 18:15)fritsch Wrote: Personally: I don't use passthrough audio at all - I have a 5.1 capable LPCM receiver which I feed directly. Since we have dcadec support - I even can decode DTS-HDMA and have perfect audio also in combination with perfect video.

Bouncing back to an older post and somewhat off topic here, but where can I read about dcadec support in Kodi a little bit more (to understand how would that help me, when would I need it, why is it better, etc), and how to enable it in Kodi? I installed from Fernet's ppa the dcadec-dev and dcadec1 packages, but when I try to enable it in code it is asking for an addon.
Quote:That's wrong ... only if "Use Limited Range" is _not_ selected.

Just tried, kodi limited, tv auto = 16-235 not respected

Quote:Contrast is a multiplicative operation ... you for sure don't want that.

I don't get it...maybe i lost in translation
cause seems that i'm the only one experiencing problem i think i will format
(2015-09-28, 12:53)Hufvudet Wrote:
(2015-09-28, 12:31)Roby77 Wrote: Panasonic Plasma 50 and 60 series can do full and limited rgb and i confirm that auto mode doesn't work very well

What exactly do you mean by dither mode? Enabling dithering while in limited range tv + kodi or going full range with dithering?

Generally, calibrating the picture through kodi sounds wrong. You shouldn't have fiddle with contrast if the TV is setup right.

Chromebox in full, kodi dither settings, Tv Full
The thing with RGB Limited and Full is that some TVs might recognize Full RGB because the System is set to Full and Limited Output is only done via Kodi or am i wrongHuh
ASRock Beebox J3160 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Elite BT
Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Smart Control BT
all @ Libreelec Testbuild
HP N54L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server / MySQL DB
HP N40L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server
  • 89(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18