• 90(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
here is an example

In auto black is grey and white is not white

If i set normal=limited black 16 is black BUT white is a variation of grey
(2015-09-28, 13:00)Roby77 Wrote:
(2015-09-28, 12:53)Hufvudet Wrote:
(2015-09-28, 12:31)Roby77 Wrote: Panasonic Plasma 50 and 60 series can do full and limited rgb and i confirm that auto mode doesn't work very well

If i try to play 16-235 content it's expanded to 0-255 so i must manually select limited (also in tv setting)

BUT for strange reason i must set +2 for contrast in kodi cause white 235 is little grey while in dither mode it's perfect

What exactly do you mean by dither mode? Enabling dithering while in limited range tv + kodi or going full range with dithering?

Generally, calibrating the picture through kodi sounds wrong. You shouldn't have fiddle with contrast if the TV is setup right.

Chromebox in full, kodi dither settings, Tv Full

Beyond my knowledge but it sounds very strange that they should produce noticably different results. If anything, it should be the other way around since range is untouched in limited. But again, this is a question for the avs forum guys who know your tv inside out.
Yes i Know, on italian avs they replied me that's a problem of player
now i don't have any pc with intel graphic chip, but i will give a try asap
Concerning DCAdec - in fernet's ppa it is working automatically - there is no setting to disable it. If DTS-HD / DTS passthrough is not enabled - dcadec is automatically used. You can see that from the logfile. You also see that DTS-HD soundtracks are listed as 7.1 - while it would be 5.1 without dcadec support in ffmpeg.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-09-28, 13:18)Roby77 Wrote: Yes i Know, on italian avs they replied me that's a problem of player
now i don't have any pc with intel graphic chip, but i will give a try asap

Last post from me on this @Roby77 since OT, but what you are describing sounds impossible.

You're saying that 235 in limited range is grey, but white in full range at 255. That implies that Kodi's 16-235 setting is fucked up which doesn't sound likely. Something in your test is faulty.
(2015-09-28, 13:05)john.cord Wrote: The thing with RGB Limited and Full is that some TVs might recognize Full RGB because the System is set to Full and Limited Output is only done via Kodi or am i wrongHuh

Technically, any TV in "auto" mode SHOULD detect this Kodi version as Full RGB, because that's what the driver says it's outputting. There's a flag that can be set which informs the display that the signal should be treated as limited, and this is normally done when xrandr is set to limited mode, but since xrandr is specifically being set to full mode to support this new VAAPI rendering, that's what's being sent.

(2015-09-28, 13:06)Roby77 Wrote: here is an example

DO NOT select "Use Limited Color Range". Auto should work fine.
-or-
Select "Use Limited Color Range". Normal should work fine. Auto will not work.

(2015-09-28, 13:19)fritsch Wrote: Concerning DCAdec - in fernet's ppa it is working automatically - there is no setting to disable it. If DTS-HD / DTS passthrough is not enabled - dcadec is automatically used. You can see that from the logfile. You also see that DTS-HD soundtracks are listed as 7.1 - while it would be 5.1 without dcadec support in ffmpeg.

Perhaps it's my media files... but I find the 5.1 / 7.1 flags on DTS-HD soundtracks to be inaccurate. Sometimes it says it's 7.1 when it's really 5.1. Sometimes it says it's 5.1 when it's really 7.1. And often the file list info differs from the pop-up info when you're playing.
Mhh - now we have some confusion :-)

"Use limited Color Range" only changes the way kodi processes Color information. E.g. it cares that decoded NV12 surfaces are not upscaled to full rgb, but transformed to limited range rgb. Furtheremore it scales the GUI shader and Picture Viewer when presenting the GUI and the Pictures.

It has absolutely _no_ influence on the GPU setting, which is solely done by xrandr. It is also obviously clear - that scaling in kodi makes only sense when the display driver does not _scale_ by itself after that. That's why we force the GPU always to full range.

So with that being set there are only two use cases that make sense:

A) GPU Full Range (xrandr), Kodi "Use Limited" _not_ ticked, Dithering (8bit enabled), TV set to full range
B) GPU Full Range (xrandr), Kodi "Use Limited" _ticked_, Dithering (8bit is okay for banding in source material), TV set to Limited Range

Every other setting makes no sense for color scaling in our own hands.

If you really out of ever reason cannot avoid it to output GPU Limited range (xrandr), cause your TV acts stupid whatever or scales again when it gets full range (also possible). Then it is very important that you only let the scaling downwards happen once. Here I suggest GPU Limited range (xrandr), Kodi "Use Limited Range" _not_(!!!) ticked, Dithering 8 bit enabled. Then kodi will upscale and dither everything to 0..255 and the display driver will scale the range again to 16 .. 235.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Quote:Perhaps it's my media files... but I find the 5.1 / 7.1 flags on DTS-HD soundtracks to be inaccurate. Sometimes it says it's 7.1 when it's really 5.1. Sometimes it says it's 5.1 when it's really 7.1. And often the file list info differs from the pop-up info when you're playing.

I for my part find that you speculate too much during the day - here is a good book for reading: http://www.amazon.de/Effective-Modern-Sp...1491903996

Without mediainfo + Debug Log for such files ... it is not possible at all to tell or guide you in any way.
(2015-09-28, 14:13)fritsch Wrote: Mhh - now we have some confusion :-)

"Use limited Color Range" only changes the way kodi processes Color information. E.g. it cares that decoded NV12 surfaces are not upscaled to full rgb, but transformed to limited range rgb. Furtheremore it scales the GUI shader and Picture Viewer when presenting the GUI and the Pictures.

It has absolutely _no_ influence on the GPU setting, which is solely done by xrandr. It is also obviously clear - that scaling in kodi makes only sense when the display driver does not _scale_ by itself after that. That's why we force the GPU always to full range.

So with that being set there are only two use cases that make sense:

A) GPU Full Range (xrandr), Kodi "Use Limited" _not_ ticked, Dithering (8bit enabled), TV set to full range
B) GPU Full Range (xrandr), Kodi "Use Limited" _ticked_, Dithering (8bit is okay for banding in source material), TV set to Limited Range

Every other setting makes no sense for color scaling in our own hands.

If you really out of ever reason cannot avoid it to output GPU Limited range (xrandr), cause your TV acts stupid whatever or scales again when it gets full range (also possible). Then it is very important that you only let the scaling downwards happen once. Here I suggest GPU Limited range (xrandr), Kodi "Use Limited Range" _not_(!!!) ticked, Dithering 8 bit enabled. Then kodi will upscale and dither everything to 0..255 and the display driver will scale the range again to 16 .. 235.

Amen to that summary.
(2015-09-28, 14:13)fritsch Wrote: A) GPU Full Range (xrandr), Kodi "Use Limited" _not_ ticked, Dithering (8bit enabled), TV set to full range

Agreed! This should be in the first post. Also, most TVs in auto mode should be set to (A), and any TV where blacks are crushed and there's no setting should be set to (B).

Quote:If you really out of ever reason cannot avoid it to output GPU Limited range (xrandr), cause your TV acts stupid whatever or scales again when it gets full range (also possible). Then it is very important that you only let the scaling downwards happen once. Here I suggest GPU Limited range (xrandr), Kodi "Use Limited Range" _not_(!!!) ticked, Dithering 8 bit enabled. Then kodi will upscale and dither everything to 0..255 and the display driver will scale the range again to 16 .. 235.

The golden ticket will either be the ability to manually force the driver to correctly set the "limited" quantitation flag, or the ability to have xrandr in limited mode and have it pass 0-255 that is not expanded.

And alas, I need to do more than merely improve my C++ skills. I need some in the first place. I'm not concerned about the bad 7.1/5.1 tagging on DTS-HD - it all plays fine. Just a minor visual glitch.
don't kill me.. Yes it's all my fault...confusion mixed to bad english understanding... i sweare this my last post here and these are my conclusion

Sorry for alla disturb caused...

Formatted and reverted back to oe 5.95.5

1)

Chromebox auto range (no full range) >kodi with 16-235 NOT thicked= Auto and normal same result

Chromebox auto range (no full range) >kodi with 16-235 THICKED= Auto and normal same result

Difference with option 2 washed image

2) Set Autostart.sh (with code provided in chromebox wiki) verified with xrandr--props

Chromebox FULL kodi with 16-235 NOT thicked= Auto and FULL same result

Chromebox FULL >kodi with 16-235 THICKED= Auto and FULL same resul

Black and white are ok (no problem of 235 light grey)

3)Updated to Fritsch's Isengard build and deleted my autostart.sh with range full

Launched Kodi and verified Kodi range is full so

Chromebox Full>Kodi with dither and 16-235 UNTICKED = Auto and Full same result
no problem with white 235

Chromebox Full > Kodi with 16-235 TICKED =

235 little grey with Auto, full and limited

my confusion starts when someone told that with video best solution was Kodi full ,kodi and tv limited also if tv was full capable so i was forcing limited also in kodi Big Grin

last error was switching from limited to nothing without restart pattern test Big Grin

sorry again and bye
@Roby77, please start a new thread and I can try to help you out there.

or wait, are you saying there's a difference in OE official betas and EGL builds in regards to 16-235 implementation? Is that even remotely possible @fritsch?
Of course there is a difference . That's what this whole thread is about ... No matter what you do in normal builds, no matter what you set with "Use Limited Range" or not - the decoder with "Prefer VAAPI Render Method" will always output Full Range ... this is for video decoding. For Images the implementation uses the same code.
(2015-09-28, 13:06)Roby77 Wrote: here is an example

How to get to these settings? I cannot find them on my TV :-(
I was too fast there Smile

I meant if there even could be a difference between sw renderering and new vaapi when it comes to 16-235 (apart from all advantages). Old vaapi is very different, I know.
  • 90(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18