Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2015-09-28, 17:51)BigL-New Wrote:
(2015-09-28, 13:06)Roby77 Wrote: here is an example

In auto black is grey and white is not white

If i set normal=limited black 16 is black BUT white is a variation of grey
How to get to these settings? I cannot find them on my TV :-(

Picture>option settings>hdmi rgb range
(2015-09-28, 18:03)Hufvudet Wrote: I was too fast there Smile

I meant if there even could be a difference between sw renderering and new vaapi when it comes to 16-235 (apart from all advantages). Old vaapi is very different, I know.

Ok, forget this question. Too much pointless theory. If I can produce any real incorrect results I'll report back!
:-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-09-28, 18:37)Roby77 Wrote:
(2015-09-28, 17:51)BigL-New Wrote:
(2015-09-28, 13:06)Roby77 Wrote: here is an example

In auto black is grey and white is not white

If i set normal=limited black 16 is black BUT white is a variation of grey
How to get to these settings? I cannot find them on my TV :-(

Picture>option settings>hdmi rgb range

Thanks for info but sadly I don't have it on my TV. Maybe it's on GT or VT series but not on my ST Sad
Better, too many option= more confusion ....(like more money more problems Wink )

See me Big Grin

Edit:check better there is at page 153

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANP...P_ST60.PDF
(2015-09-28, 14:08)Sunflux Wrote:
(2015-09-28, 13:05)john.cord Wrote: The thing with RGB Limited and Full is that some TVs might recognize Full RGB because the System is set to Full and Limited Output is only done via Kodi or am i wrongHuh

Technically, any TV in "auto" mode SHOULD detect this Kodi version as Full RGB, because that's what the driver says it's outputting. There's a flag that can be set which informs the display that the signal should be treated as limited, and this is normally done when xrandr is set to limited mode, but since xrandr is specifically being set to full mode to support this new VAAPI rendering, that's what's being sent.

so i was pretty sure i had things figured out but all this talk had me questioning myself. i have a vt50 and for me switching between "auto" and "standard 16-235" results in the same image while switching to "non-standard" results in a lightened image. i was under the impression panasonic tvs correctly detected the color range, but maybe that isn't the case?

xrandr --verbose: http://sprunge.us/YKRX
kodi set to limited, prefer vaapi on

regardless the real test is that the test patterns display correctly. still i was a little surprised that my tv was doing the opposite of what i thought it was doing.
(2015-09-29, 02:04)furii Wrote:
(2015-09-28, 14:08)Sunflux Wrote:
(2015-09-28, 13:05)john.cord Wrote: The thing with RGB Limited and Full is that some TVs might recognize Full RGB because the System is set to Full and Limited Output is only done via Kodi or am i wrongHuh

Technically, any TV in "auto" mode SHOULD detect this Kodi version as Full RGB, because that's what the driver says it's outputting. There's a flag that can be set which informs the display that the signal should be treated as limited, and this is normally done when xrandr is set to limited mode, but since xrandr is specifically being set to full mode to support this new VAAPI rendering, that's what's being sent.

so i was pretty sure i had things figured out but all this talk had me questioning myself. i have a vt50 and for me switching between "auto" and "standard 16-235" results in the same image while switching to "non-standard" results in a lightened image. i was under the impression panasonic tvs correctly detected the color range, but maybe that isn't the case?

regardless the real test is that the test patterns display correctly. still i was a little surprised that my tv was doing the opposite of what i thought it was doing.

Make sure you restart your TV after changing from full to limited or vice verse on your kodi box.
I have a new sony x850 4k and HDMI handshake issues still are a problem, Do this especially if you have an audio video receiver in the signal chain.
(2015-09-29, 02:04)furii Wrote: so i was pretty sure i had things figured out but all this talk had me questioning myself. i have a vt50 and for me switching between "auto" and "standard 16-235" results in the same image while switching to "non-standard" results in a lightened image. i was under the impression panasonic tvs correctly detected the color range, but maybe that isn't the case?

The important part from xrandr:

Quote: Broadcast RGB: Full
supported: Automatic, Full, Limited 16:235

With "Use Limited" enabled in Kodi... sounds like your auto mode is incorrectly setting Limited color space - but that's not a real issue, because that's what you want. However, it may not select this "incorrectly correctly" 100% of the time, so you might want to force 16-235..

(2015-09-29, 02:28)oshan Wrote: Make sure you restart your TV after changing from full to limited or vice verse on your kodi box.
I have a new sony x850 4k and HDMI handshake issues still are a problem, Do this especially if you have an audio video receiver in the signal chain.

Is that the X850C? I don't have any experience with that, but with the X850B and older Kodi versions, it would sometimes select the wrong color space, resulting in crushed blacks. I eventually forced the TV into limited mode and duplicated its EDID (so there's never any chance of reading the wrong values), and it hasn't happened since.
(2015-09-29, 02:28)oshan Wrote: Make sure you restart your TV after changing from full to limited or vice verse on your kodi box.

Is that the X850C? I don't have any experience with that, but with the X850B and older Kodi versions, it would sometimes select the wrong color space, resulting in crushed blacks. I eventually forced the TV into limited mode and duplicated its EDID (so there's never any chance of reading the wrong values), and it hasn't happened since.
[/quote]

Ha, yes as a matter of fact I used to have the x850B but returned it because of really bad black uniformity.
And I did have worse issues with EDID/HDMI Handshake on the x850b

The x850c is a little better but still at times you have to restart it to get the proper color space if you are tweaking with full or limited range,
I'm forced to use Auto color space most of the time because all my inputs go into the same HDMI input.
Just to correct my terminology, I haven't had any issue with color space detection (that's on Auto), but with dynamic range detection (which I've fixed to Limited).

I think this chart of behaviors is accurate... but correct me if I'm wrong.

VALID FOR THE NEW KODI EGL VERSION IN THIS THREAD:
Code:
Driver 0-255  -> Kodi Full    -> Dithering On  -> TV Auto*   -> CORRECT (**GOOD** Heavily Processed)
                                               -> TV Full    -> CORRECT (**GOOD** Heavily Processed)
                                               -> TV Limited -> Crushed Blacks
                              -> Dithering Off -> TV Auto*   -> CORRECT (Minor Banding)
                                               -> TV Full    -> CORRECT (Minor Banding)
Driver 0-255  -> Kodi Limited -> Dithering On  -> TV Auto*   -> Washed Out
                                               -> TV Full    -> Washed Out
                                               -> TV Limited -> CORRECT (**BEST** Lightly Processed)
                              -> Dithering Off -> TV Auto*   -> Washed Out
                                               -> TV Limited -> CORRECT (**BEST** Untouched)
Driver 16-235 -> Kodi Full    -> Dithering On  -> TV Auto*   -> CORRECT (Minor Banding)
                                               -> TV Limited -> CORRECT (Minor Banding)
                              -> Dithering Off -> TV Auto*   -> CORRECT (Banding)
                                               -> TV Limited -> CORRECT (Banding)
Driver 16-255 -> Kodi Limited -> Dithering On  -> TV Auto*   -> Washed Out
                                               -> TV Full    -> Very Washed Out UI, Washed Out Video
                                               -> TV Limited -> Washed Out
                              -> Dithering Off -> TV Auto*   -> Washed Out
                                               -> TV Limited -> Washed Out
I don't believe there's any difference between VAAPI on or off. Please let me know if I'm wrong.

VALID FOR OFFICIAL KODI VERSIONS (NOT THE ONE IN THIS THREAD):
Code:
Driver 0-255  -> Kodi Full    -> VAAPI On  -> TV Auto*   -> CORRECT (Banding)
                                           -> TV Full    -> CORRECT (Banding)
                              -> VAAPI Off -> TV Auto*   -> CORRECT (Minor Banding)
                                           -> TV Full    -> CORRECT (Minor Banding)
              -> Kodi Limited -> VAAPI On  -> TV Auto*   -> Washed Out UI, Correct video
                                           -> TV Full    -> Washed Out UI, Correct video
                                           -> TV Limited -> Correct UI, Crushed Video
                              -> VAAPI Off -> TV Auto*   -> Washed Out
                                           -> TV Limited -> CORRECT (**NO BANDING**)
Driver 16-235 -> Kodi Full    -> VAAPI On  -> TV Auto*   -> CORRECT (Banding)
                                           -> TV Limited -> CORRECT (Banding)
                              -> VAAPI Off -> TV Auto*   -> CORRECT (Minor Banding)
                                           -> TV Limited -> CORRECT (Minor Banding)
              -> Kodi Limited -> VAAPI On  -> TV Auto*   -> Washed Out UI, Correct Video
                                           -> TV Limited -> Washed Out UI, Correct Video
                              -> VAAPI Off -> TV Auto*   -> Washed Out UI, Correct Video
                                           -> TV Full    -> Very Washed Out
                                           -> TV Limited -> Washed Out UI, Correct Video
* If auto works as it should. Some sets might not read the flags correctly, and simply treat auto as "limited", which is the most common setting for CE devices.
@Sunflux, the lower chart, does that really apply to these EGL builds?
Sorry. Cut and paste error.
Nice summary, please make "the other version" in red and fat and name it "Official Kodi Version _not_ this version in this thread / or the version before this EGL version in this thread"

And a nice summary that our new version has the potential to do correct colors, please ... That's no mergendizing, but you know the people not reading it accurately - thx much.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
And btw. Could you test the following, too with the EGL build:

GPU: 16 - 235 Kodi _not_ limited and Dithering 8 bit?

This should be the usecase many users will run into when we get mainline as they don't know howto tune the xrandr output. In theory it should not be that bad.
For the hackers (don't ask in this thread, please): http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Config...ustom_EDID

MattDevo has documented (with the help of seo) howto force fix an EDID withing openelec and howto force the digital output to on. That's a very advanced task. This should help to boot the system without monitor / AVR attached.
  • 91(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18