Recommend me a controller...
So I'd like to start playing games properly with Retroplayer, now we have some builds out.

What's the best hardware controller to use on the windows version?

I'd like something that supports all the buttons on Retroplayer, and is simple to use.

Any advice appreciated...
I prefer XBOX 360 controllers, but I think any joystick with proper driver support and at least same number of buttons would do.
I guess it comes down to whatever you prefer. I personally like the "retro feeling" so instead of a modern joypad (such as a 360 controller - which is a great multi-purpose controller though), I like the original controllers with a USB connector (e.g. from retrousb.com).
The 360 controller is (somewhat obviously) the default controller and is the only way to get rewind going that I've found. But using actual original controllers connected through a USB connector is definitely way cooler.

My suggestion, btw, is to avoid buying the knock-off USB controllers that look like original NES and SNES controllers. Instead, find the real ones on eBay and connect them using something like this. http://amzn.to/1LU4ql8

edit: The reason to avoid the knock offs is because they won't feel right. They're inevitably too light.
I have two xbox 360 but they are overpriced. For example cyberlink is 3x cheaper and works just great as xbox 360. btw. dpad is pretty bad on xbox 360, not sure is it only me but I hate it.
(2015-10-01, 21:14)zbuzanic Wrote: I have two xbox 360 but they are overpriced. For example cyberlink is 3x cheaper and works just great as xbox 360. btw. dpad is pretty bad on xbox 360, not sure is it only me but I hate it.

Got a link to the cyberlink?
Another +1 on the 360 controller. Its easy to set up, and its the standard in modern game that have gamepad controls.
(2015-10-02, 12:27)Heat Wrote: Another +1 on the 360 controller. Its easy to set up, and its the standard in modern game that have gamepad controls.

Sadly i'm not a fan of the 360 controller. Its just too big for my tiny European hands Big Grin

Is there something like the PS3 controller that works nicely?
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=197159
I use original controllers with usb adapters. Works very well for me (Windows build)
(2015-10-02, 13:25)zag Wrote: Sadly i'm not a fan of the 360 controller. Its just too big for my tiny European hands Big Grin

Is there something like the PS3 controller that works nicely?

I have tiny hands too.Laugh

Anyway, the logitech f510 is like the ps3 controller, but has the 360 icons. It also has xinput so it would be recognized as a 360 controller.

I have it, don't like the d-pad much reminds me of the 360 one Big Grin

Oh,this one is wired, if you want a wireless version get the f710.
I am also on the market for one, unfortunately all my controlers are too old or partially broken. So thanks for starting this thread.
I also prefer the ps3 contoler over the 360, the logitech looks a good candidate but the prices I found are a bit prohibitive for the time I spend playing retrogames. Probably I'll try to find some cheap chinese controller similar to the 360/ps3. I guess that despite being chinese (and I hate those chinese android boxes) they should be well supported on linux. Any cheap suggestions are appreciated.
8bitdo controllers are solid. I have a NES30 and SFC30. Both are great, but if you want to support all buttons the NES30 PRO would be the 1 to get.
FWIW they work great with android too.
Well I have been hearing that the 8bitdo snes30 controller is good. Comes with a cable and can be used wireless via blutooth.

This guy has some more pictures, and impressions.

Edit: Hah, figures that by the time I post someone already mentioned them. Big Grin
I must admit I had not tried my 8bitdo controllers with retroplayer until today. In joypad mode the dpad is recognized as keyboard arrow keys but the other buttons are joypad buttons. It seems thats fine for navigating menus, but in game the dpad is unresponsive.

Log if anyone has any ideas.. http://paste2.org/t71Zgbg2
My 8bitdo NES30 works perfectly fine with RetroPlayer on win32 but I first had to calibrate the D-Pad with the Windows Controller configuration tool because I could only move left and up IIRC.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommend me a controller...1