HD audio support only with OpenELEC test builds and PCM?
sorry for my stupid questions, but I'm a beginner in KODI.
Does milhouse builds generally only run on Pi devices?
Do you know from another build which runs on any other (Android) device which has 3d ISO support
(2015-10-09, 14:02)motorherz Wrote: sorry for my stupid questions, but I'm a beginner in KODI.
Does milhouse builds generally only run on Pi devices?
Do you know from another build which runs on any other (Android) device which has 3d ISO support

In general Android won't support MVC or 3D ISOs. You should really follow this thread if 3D is important ti you as it will discuss all the options.
ah thanks a lot, this will help a little.
here I can see, that the Pi is the only LINUXbased player.

But, you wrote, that all builds will support HD decode, right?
when I read the chart (comparing all the devices) the Pi is the only device, which decodes the HD audio). All other devices are doing passtrough. Maybe I can run decode mode anyway? what do you think?

But, about thes discussion about 48kHz/192kHz movies... I agree with you, that we shouldn't hear the difference.
So If I run a 192kHz movie (Akira for example) on the Pi2, the Pi will downmix to 48kHz?
(2015-10-09, 12:20)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-10-09, 11:34)motorherz Wrote: thank you for the information.
what do you think, can I load an image for the Pi to another device, for example the open-elec-box / openhour / orbsmart / beelink? normally, it should work, all the devices are RISC based androidboxes...
The Pi doesn't run Android so this won't work.

Quote:and another question, is the XBMC nightly (or any other KODI release) build able to play 3d.iso files?

Milhouse nightly builds do have early support for 3d ISO files.

Hi, now I bought the Pi2 and yesterday I made several tests with an earlier OpenElec (15.0) release. Unfortunateley, this build did not support BD frame packed (MVC) 1:1 iso's.
I read, that the Pi2 should have a hardware decoder into it's chip, is that right? Is Milhouse #1014 able to decode this MVC 3d.isos? If yes, Should I rename the files? For example *.mvc.3d.iso?

Or is it possible to run an external player by writing a script and installing such a player. But I dont' know, if there exist a player which runs at the Pi2.

Another solution must be the converting to mkv. Makemkv does support mvc. If I convert an 3d.iso to mkv, must I rename the mkv as well? For example *.mvc.3d.mkv?
Generally, I don't like converting my ISO's to mkv but if it is the only way in the moment to watch my 1:1 iso's, I have to accept.
(2015-10-15, 13:04)motorherz Wrote: Hi, now I bought the Pi2 and yesterday I made several tests with an earlier OpenElec (15.0) release. Unfortunateley, this build did not support BD frame packed (MVC) 1:1 iso's.
I read, that the Pi2 should have a hardware decoder into it's chip, is that right? Is Milhouse #1014 able to decode this MVC 3d.isos? If yes, Should I rename the files? For example *.mvc.3d.iso?

Or is it possible to run an external player by writing a script and installing such a player. But I dont' know, if there exist a player which runs at the Pi2.

Another solution must be the converting to mkv. Makemkv does support mvc. If I convert an 3d.iso to mkv, must I rename the mkv as well? For example *.mvc.3d.mkv?
Generally, I don't like converting my ISO's to mkv but if it is the only way in the moment to watch my 1:1 iso's, I have to accept.

You need to use Milhouse builds for 3D MVC ISO support. You don't need to rename the ISO as it can detect the 3D stream before playback starts.
OE 5.95.5 will support MVC in mkv (but not iso). Use makemkv and make sure you enable the 3D stream (it is not enabled by default). You should rename the file to include ".3d.sbs." in the name.
(2015-05-06, 14:28)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-05-06, 14:17)Lamm Wrote: So does this mean that in theory, the Pi1/Pi2 should be able to run DTS-HD bitstreaming (7.1ch 96KHz) if there was KODI/library code to support it?
If yes, is this something that might be coming to KODI down the line?

No. The transport for DTS-HD (and TrueHD) uses 8 channels@192kHz even for 96kHz and 48kHz content.
I have tried outputting at 48/96kHz but the receiver doesn't detect it...

Hello

I have a cubox ie2x and a Onkyo AVR that does do DTS-HD MA (As tested by blu-ray player) however it is a 5.1 amplifier, according to DTS-HD spec 5.1 is a valid transport medium however I get no audio on passthrough.
Is this due to the 8 channel transport requirement ?
If it is due to a 8 channel requirement is there any build that supported 6 that I could revert to or any way to make it work with 6 ?

Thanks
The DTS-HD limitation is a Raspberry Pi limitation, and the only way for the Pi to output DTS-HD is to decode it to PCM. OpenELEC v6.0 now supports outputting DTS-HD as PCM for all devices - not just Raspberry Pi - as an alternative to passthrough, so this should also work for your Cubox.

As for why you can't bitstream DTS-HD from the Cubox, maybe you should ask on a Cubox support forum.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-11-12, 10:11)Milhouse Wrote: The DTS-HD limitation is a Raspberry Pi limitation, and the only way for the Pi to output DTS-HD is to decode it to PCM. OpenELEC v6.0 now supports outputting DTS-HD as PCM for all devices - not just Raspberry Pi - as an alternative to passthrough, so this should also work for your Cubox.

As for why you can't bitstream DTS-HD from the Cubox, maybe you should ask on a Cubox support forum.

Hello

Thanks for the response, my knowledge about the Conversion to PCM quality by openelec is limited, would I achieve the same quality basically having everything output as PCM ?

(Cubox wise the forums are pretty much graveyard but shifting topic away from that)
(2015-11-12, 11:12)moonrune Wrote: Thanks for the response, my knowledge about the Conversion to PCM quality by openelec is limited, would I achieve the same quality basically having everything output as PCM ?

Yes - with a few exceptions. Decoding HD Audio to PCM is lossless, and should deliver identical quality in many listening situations. The original PS3 does the same with Blu-rays with HD Audio, it decodes and outputs as PCM losslessly.

Before HD Audio decoding was standard on most HDMI amps, a lot of amps only had PCM 5.1/7.1 and DD/DTS audio inputs (I had a Sony 5.1 HDMI AVR that worked like this), and Blu-ray players decoded HD Audo tracks to PCM.

All that is happening is that Kodi is decoding HD Audio to PCM instead of the Amp doing it. (It has to be decoded to PCM somewhere...)

The limitation is that some Amps in some modes will use the metadata embedded in the HD Audio bitstream (which won't get to them in a PCM decoded stream) to do additional processing. This could be for 5,1<->7.1 up or down mixing, or for reducing dynamic range or boosting dialogue when listening at lower volumes etc.

However for most HD Audio there is very little difference - and in many cases the quality is identical. The only limitation on the Pi 2 is that 192kHz output is limited to a maximum of 4.0 - so the very rare 5.1/7.1 192kHz tracks (like Akira) will be downsampled (not sure if to 48 or 96kHz) 5.1 or 7.1. Stereo 192kHz stuff will be output at 192kHz I believe.

Quote:(Cubox wise the forums are pretty much graveyard but shifting topic away from that)

Yep - and I'm not sure if the Cubox or Cubox-i support 5.1/7.1 PCM output - or whether they are limited to PCM 2.0 and DD/DTS like a lot of ARM platforms (the AMLogic stuff is PCM 2.0/DD/DTS only).
I ended up switching off passthrough completely and just letting kodi handle it all.

The output is 5.1ch 48hz PCM
Just ordered a RPi2 for 3D ISO playback with my new 3D projector but audio wise it will be connected to my old 5.1 Sony DB1080 which only decodes plain Vanilla DTS/DD5.1. Noggin in another thread confirmed that the RPi2 can passthru the DTS core and DD AC3 to my receiver. However, am I understand this discussion correctly, that I could also tell the RPi2 to decode the TrueHD or DTSMA and output as LPCM to my old Receiver. In other words, I'd actually be able to listen to the HD soundtrack with it effectively just being amplified by my non HD 5.1 receiver....or have I misunderstood what's being said?
Multichannel PCM is only available through HDMI. Not sure your receiver supports that.
If not you'll need to get to optical somehow. Possibly your TV/projector can output that.
You may need an optical splitter, or an I2S sound card.

However with optical you can't get multichannel PCM. The Pi can transcode to 5.1. AC3 which can be transmitted over optical.
(2015-11-12, 20:07)popcornmix Wrote: Multichannel PCM is only available through HDMI. Not sure your receiver supports that.
If not you'll need to get to optical somehow. Possibly your TV/projector can output that.
You may need an optical splitter, or an I2S sound card.

However with optical you can't get multichannel PCM. The Pi can transcode to 5.1. AC3 which can be transmitted over optical.

Just looked up the manual of my old receiver and there is no mention of LPCM so I don't know where I got that idea. I thought I remembered seeing it as an option when browsing through the amps OSD menu. Its irrelevant now seeing as the amp doesn't look like it supports LPCM but my 4x2 Matrix switch can output HDMI audio via an optical output. I'm happy enough with AC3 and DTS core from the ISO's though. Forgive me for interrupting the thread.
(2015-11-12, 19:57)calibos Wrote: Just ordered a RPi2 for 3D ISO playback with my new 3D projector but audio wise it will be connected to my old 5.1 Sony DB1080 which only decodes plain Vanilla DTS/DD5.1. Noggin in another thread confirmed that the RPi2 can passthru the DTS core and DD AC3 to my receiver. However, am I understand this discussion correctly, that I could also tell the RPi2 to decode the TrueHD or DTSMA and output as LPCM to my old Receiver. In other words, I'd actually be able to listen to the HD soundtrack with it effectively just being amplified by my non HD 5.1 receiver....or have I misunderstood what's being said?

I apologise if I'd misinformed you. I thought you had an HDMI receiver. If your receiver only has an Optical Toslink or Coax SPDIF input then you will also probably also need an HDMI audio extractor.

I thought your Sony Amp was, like our first Sony amp, an HDMI model that only supported DD/DTS (and in our case PCM multichannel) - not one that didn't handle HDMI at all. The Raspberry Pi 2 will bitstream DD/DTS over HDMI - but doesn't have a digital audio output over optical or coax.
No. No. Its all good Noggin. I knew the Pi didn't have an optical out. The 4x2 HDMI Matrix switcher I needed to connect my sources to both TV and Projector had the HDMI audio->Optical/Toslink base covered anyway. I just thought for a second after reading this thread I might have been able to use the TrueHD/DTSma with my old receiver just basically amplifying but I am perfectly happy with just regular DD/DTS till I can afford a new Dual HDMI output Receiver next year. (A feature that remains stubbornly confined to the €600 midrange)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD audio support only with OpenELEC test builds and PCM?2