• 107(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2015-10-10, 23:06)mattlach Wrote: Starting to have some issues with my install from the old 14.04 thread.

Considering doing a reinstall using this new method

Is the OP post still pretty reasonable to follow, or do I need to read through over a hundred forum pages of incremental changes to get to the latest best practice?

Thanks,
Matt

Business as usual, it's same sort of thing. Also gone from 14.04 ->
(2015-10-08, 17:01)fritsch Wrote: @gurabli: No idea - this thread is about testing VideoPlayer and VAAPI implementations - helping with kernels is just done - cause I felt like helping - but as that stuff is taking too much time - I will concentrate on the basics again. As you are a selfhacker and can easily install a 4.3-rcX kernel - you could tell us after you tried it, right?

I've Braswell and i've installed 4.3-rc4 from Ubuntu mainline ppa. Everything works ok. So i assume that once you move to final 4.3 and provide kernel image with passthough patch it could be used on all platforms.
I don't plan to provide patched kernels for ubuntu. As said - this thread is about testing VAAPI features - providing a kernel and keeping it up2date is a lot of maintainance. Those that don't use OpenELEC can do that easily byself - as the kernel patch was pushed on my github:

Code:
git clone https://github.com/fritsch/linux.git
cd linux
git checkout v4.3-rc5-passthrough
cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config
make oldconfig (Press return until finished)
sudo apt-get install fakeroot kernel-package
fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version "-passthrough" -j4 --initrd linux-headers linux-image

done
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi there,

I'm running the PPA version from post#1 (Xubuntu with Openbox session on N3150). All looks fine and the image quality is remarkably good!Cool

But i'm having an issue with changing refresh rates. Adjust display refresh rate is set to "On start/stop". Sometimes kodi won't change the refresh rate, but stay in default mode (60Hz).
Currently I can reproduce it, by just booting into kodi, selecting any movie and playing it. After starting several other movies or by entering settings menu, sometimes the correct refresh rate will be used. But up to now, I could'n find any condition/action, which would activate the refresh rate again. To me it looks more of being random.

Logs are:
dpkg -l |grep mesa > http://paste.ubuntu.com/12750045/
cat ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log > http://paste.ubuntu.com/12750051/
dmesg > http://paste.ubuntu.com/12750053/

(booting in kodi and opening "How_To_Train_Your_Dragon_2_t04.mkv", which is in 24p and sometimes also played in 24p)
Interesting. No need for the XBMC team PPA anymore, huh?
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD
(2015-10-11, 14:29)icebaer Wrote: Hi there,

I'm running the PPA version from post#1 (Xubuntu with Openbox session on N3150). All looks fine and the image quality is remarkably good!Cool

But i'm having an issue with changing refresh rates. Adjust display refresh rate is set to "On start/stop". Sometimes kodi won't change the refresh rate, but stay in default mode (60Hz).
Currently I can reproduce it, by just booting into kodi, selecting any movie and playing it. After starting several other movies or by entering settings menu, sometimes the correct refresh rate will be used. But up to now, I could'n find any condition/action, which would activate the refresh rate again. To me it looks more of being random.

Logs are:
dpkg -l |grep mesa > http://paste.ubuntu.com/12750045/
cat ~/.kodi/temp/kodi.log > http://paste.ubuntu.com/12750051/
dmesg > http://paste.ubuntu.com/12750053/

(booting in kodi and opening "How_To_Train_Your_Dragon_2_t04.mkv", which is in 24p and sometimes also played in 24p)
See the kernel discussion. Install a 4.3-rc4 or the kernel 4.2 I provided.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-10-11, 17:50)mattlach Wrote: Interesting. No need for the XBMC team PPA anymore, huh?

This whole thread is about code not in mainline...
(2015-07-12, 20:06)fritsch Wrote: You might need to create and advancedsettings.xml file as follows if you have special needs:

lol

More seriously though, how do I know if I have "special needs"? What are some symptoms or problems to look for?

Thanks,
Matt
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD
(2015-10-11, 18:13)fritsch Wrote:
(2015-10-11, 17:50)mattlach Wrote: Interesting. No need for the XBMC team PPA anymore, huh?

This whole thread is about code not in mainline...

Ahh, I understand, so it's included in one of wsnipex's PPA's. I get it. Thanks,
(2015-10-11, 18:36)mattlach Wrote:
(2015-07-12, 20:06)fritsch Wrote: You might need to create and advancedsettings.xml file as follows if you have special needs:

lol

More seriously though, how do I know if I have "special needs"? What are some symptoms or problems to look for?

Thanks,
Matt
What does not work for you, would be the question to answer?
(2015-10-11, 18:38)fritsch Wrote:
(2015-10-11, 18:36)mattlach Wrote:

lol

Thanks,
Matt
What does not work for you, would be the question to answer?

Nothing yet, this guide has been beautiful, thank you. Just looking to plant a seed in my mind such that if I ahve issues in the future, I remember "oh right, I should try advancedsettings.xml from the guide" :p
I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but I notice this installs a 16.0 alpha branch.

For plugin purposes, are Isengard plugins still compatible?
(2015-10-11, 18:46)mattlach Wrote: I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but I notice this installs a 16.0 alpha branch.

Currently yes, but might change every day.
(2015-10-11, 18:50)fritsch Wrote:
(2015-10-11, 18:46)mattlach Wrote: I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but I notice this installs a 16.0 alpha branch.

Currently yes, but might change every day.

Hmm.

I just tried janbars mythtv plugin and it fails to load.

May have to revert then. My HTPC needs to be "significant other" friendly. In other words, it needs to power up, and janbars mythtv plugin needs to work every time.

As much as I hate to do it, I may need to fall back on OpenElec, since the old 14.04 guide is now obsolete.

Of course Openelec is still on Helix...

Are you aware of a good compromise? A way to do a Linux install like this, but based on 15.1?
Use team kodi ppa instead of fernetmenta. Pvr addons are packacked by wsnipex for this howto here, so they actually are compatible.
  • 107(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18