• 12(current)
[MYSQL] HOW-TO: 5 User XBMC
I have been using kodi with mysql setup for the past 5 years and I would always cringe at the thought of updating to the latest release of kodi because I would have to make sure that mysql got setup right, etc. It was also a pain to get the files needed (ie: advancedsettings) into my android boxes. I currently switched my whole system to Unraid and I setup mysql on it for kodi. It really bothered me that I couldn't keep track of individual users shows and movies watched so I started reading this post and I just couldn't see changing the database every time there is an update to kodi. I installed Plex Server on the Unraid server and this works great for watching shows on my ipad and when I am not at home (my son uses it to access shows when he is at university). But I didn't like the way it was used in Kodi. After reading on here I decided to try Emby. I installed it on my Unraid server and then installed the plugin and although I had a bit of trouble with the settings in unraid, once I got it all configured correctly it is working perfectly. I love that it just works in the background on kodi because I love the way kodi works and looks. I can use any skin I want. And know I can see my watched status and my kids can see there watched status separately. And I also have everyone on the latest 15.2 kodi. Emby really works for me. When they finally get an app for the iOS I won't need Plex anymore.
Even though I uninstalled Emby, and reverted to MySQL because Emby didn't meet some of my needs I simply don't understand any concerns about their Freemium model?

Its pretty clear, the basic service is free, and then they have various paid tiers above that for additional functionality.

None of this is needed if we are only talking about a MySQL replacement, however I can see the value in some of the additional functionality for some use cases. The lifetime option looks like pretty good value if those extras are useful. See more here: https://emby.media/premiere/
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
So far I have been using the Emby free version and I am not really sure what the advantages of upgrading to the paid version. Until they get the iOS app working anyways.
I have to say i was wrong with my initial judgment of emby... I have edited my previous post accordingly

The more i played with it the more impressed i got. The user control is miles above what kodi via mySQL will ever be able to achieve and the server management is very simple.

I'm going to keep working with it, as other have said: its not without its tweaks but its impressive so far.
NVM
(2015-10-08, 15:29)jmh2002 Wrote: Even though I uninstalled Emby, and reverted to MySQL because Emby didn't meet some of my needs I simply don't understand any concerns about their Freemium model?

Its pretty clear, the basic service is free, and then they have various paid tiers above that for additional functionality.

None of this is needed if we are only talking about a MySQL replacement, however I can see the value in some of the additional functionality for some use cases. The lifetime option looks like pretty good value if those extras are useful. See more here: https://emby.media/premiere/

Emby freemium model gives added bonuses like case enhancements and other things but core functions like parental control and home users are available to all unlike plex. None of these things are used in kodi. Either way I paid 10.00 2 or 3 years ago for lifetime. I made other donations and I see nothing wrong with showing some support because everything cost money and it is a very small team. I don't even use any of the added options. I see the priced has increased a lot since then.

MySQL works well for one user but I can't imagine going through all of this to setup multi users.
I agree, my comments were in relation to other users 'concerns' about a freemium model. I dont have any issue with it. If Emby would tweak a few things I would be happy to switch back too.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
I don't see them syncing kodi plugins like YouTube. I don't use any of them and it wouldn't be something most users will be concerned with.
(2014-06-02, 19:31)N4TH4N Wrote: THIS TUTORIAL IS CONSIDERED ADVANCED

BACKUP YOUR XBMC USERDATA FOLDER AND MYSQL DATABASES

What is the purpose of having multiple profiles?
Where does one go to learn about using databases? What are they used for?

Do you have multiple XBMC clients and want an efficient but simple solution to keep track of watched status and bookmarks for multiple profiles.

Do you want to scan once for all of your XBMC clients and profiles.

Then this tutorial is for you.

If you have any questions or problems please reply to this thread.

PM's will not be replied to as they are not useful for the community.

If you use these instructions please post a reply telling us how it went.

Contents

1. Overview
2. Prerequisites
3. How
- a. Configure XBMC to create a master database
- b. Configure MySQL with 4 slave databases
- c. Configure XBMC clients
4. Upcoming Features
5. Bugs

1. Overview

This tutorial will guide you through the process of creating 5 XBMC profiles which are all linked.

Each profile has its own watched status and bookmarks.

XBMC by itself is good for managing multiple profiles on a single client.

XBMC with MySQL is good at managing a single profile on multiple clients.

XBMC with MySQL and the following setup is good for managing multiple profiles on multiple clients.

In my setup i have 6 clients with 5 databases. If i was to scan for each profile on every machine i would have to scan a total of 14 times.

With this simple SQL magic i only need to scan once.

It also gives me the added benefit of being able to pause a video in one room and continue watching in another.

If i'm watching a season in one room i can go to another and continue where i was up to.

But the main benefit of this setup is that me and my housemates can be watching the same videos whilst keeping separate watched status and bookmarks.

This setup now supports video and music.

For more info on my setup look at my showcase thread.

2. Prerequisites

- XBMC 13, 13.1, 13.2
- MySQL

Check out the 5 User XBMC - Master Server tutorial here...

NOTE: ALL XBMC CLIENTS MUST BE THE SAME VERSION

If you need extra help installing MySQL or wish to use a operating system other then "Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop" please checkout the official wiki.

3. How

NOTE: If you have a database already stored in MySQL you will first need to rename it to 'a78' then skip step 3a.

3a. Configure XBMC to create a master database

Windows

Download 5 User XBMC - Server Setup 1.2.1 for Windows

If your having problems downloading the file, copy any paste this code into notepad and save as xbmc-server-setup.bat

Right click "Run as administrator"

3b. Configure MySQL with 4 slave databases

Using your favourite SQL client (Terminal, phpMyAdmin or my personal favourite Sequel Pro) run the following query.

Download 5 User XBMC - SQL Setup 1.2

If your having problems downloading the file, copy any paste this code directly into your SQL client.

3c. Configure XBMC clients

NOTE: You may leave extra users blank so they are not used on a certain client.

Users can be in any order as long as the name matches the database.

Windows

Download 5 User XBMC - Client Setup 1.3 for Windows

If your having problems downloading the file, copy any paste this code into notepad and save as xbmc-client-setup.bat

Right click "Run as administrator"

5. Bugs

Please report any bugs you find.
(2015-10-22, 13:45)Deihmos Wrote: I don't see them syncing kodi plugins like YouTube. I don't use any of them and it wouldn't be something most users will be concerned with.

And yet there are more than 300 of these type of addons in the kodi repo, so it can't be only me that uses them? As an example the YouTube addon has over 5 million downloads if i understand this page correctly: http://addons.kodi.tv/show/plugin.video.youtube/ So Im not sure why people keep saying 'users dont want/need this'...

In any case, it's not really necessary to 'sync the plugins' but only to sync the kodi 'myvideos' database because these addons (not plugins) already write to this database like any other video that gets played by kodi. OR at least Emby shouldn't prevent syncing this database via another method. Time will tell - other threads seem to indicate a change is coming in relation to some of these things.
I don't see many people being concerned about syncing playback progress for them plus I see no way emby can sync plugins that are not on the server. I personally do not use any of them but if I did I wouldn't care for sync. I thought YouTube auto keep track of what you looked at when you login.
If you dont care, why do you keep posting on this subject? Plugins on the server? What are you talking about... The Emby addon for Kodi already reads and writes to the Kodi myvideos database...

I think you are trolling. I won't reply further.
Let me explain. If YouTube and whatever addons you use become available for emby it can then easily sync them across your devices. Technically any addon available for kodi can be made available for emby but lack of interest and or developers is the problem.
Sorry to dig up an old conversations but im holding off on emby until i make the switch to isengard (have to rename alot of my content)

So in the meantime im going to work with the custom SQL work BigMong has provide on the video_90 schema:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1902046

I have everything running perfect except partial watch status doesn't seem to be saving for TVshows only? The check marks are working perfect for each user on both movies and Tvshows... but only the full watch status is persistent with TV shows. (so if i watch 1/2 a TV show, it wont remember where i left off, but does for movies)

I notice that the unique bookmarks table is being updated (idFile & timeInSeconds...) all get an additional field when i stop a video 1/2 way through (movies and TVshows alike). would that imply the reading back of the bookmarks table is the issue?

Thanks,
There's your problem... i was using the code form the pastebin link:
http://pastebin.com/0VNB9DmV

In that code the episodeview table, rather view has this
Code:
`tvshow`.`c16` AS `strShowPath`,

and that was the cause of the problem... live and learn.

cheers,
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MYSQL] HOW-TO: 5 User XBMC5