• 5(current)
ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding
Anyone try this code yet. Either I'm feeding it wrong or it's very twitchy about what it eats Smile Some test videos and example params would be nice to see.
Montellese has been playing with it. He can probably give you a quick rundown.
This update from his weekly checkins may be of some help:

Quote:At the moment the JSON-RPC API can be used to trigger transcoding of movies in Kodi's database. A new version of the movie will be created with all video streams encoded in H.264 and all audio streams encoded in AAC. All streams are multiplexed into a MP4 file. For my test video, this results in a copy that needs only half the disk space at the cost of slightly decreased video quality.

For some reason, there is no media player, except the VLC player, that would play the transcoded files. I guess it's missing some meta data or something. But since I wasted already a lot of time with inspecting the .mp4 files I now went over to work on integrating the transcoder into Kodi and to accessing it over the JSON-RPC API, which seems to be of avail.
https://github.com/Montellese/xbmc/commi...a57fa87471 is a rebased (a month ago) and cleaned up version of Mark's branch.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
humm, most every file I toss at it ends up barfing either inside CTranscoder or libx264 with some stream type not being supported in an mp4 container.

For example:
files that have subs like subrip fail as they are not supported in a mp4 container.

mov's tend to fail as they can have a tmcd stream that is not supported in an mp4 container.

what are you testing with ?
MKVs and MP4s. I don't have anything else.
Remember that this is just a proof of concept.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Sure, as a POC its good, just needs a little container handling TLC Smile Just gets twitchy when fed content outside its testing bounds and there is little info about what those bounds are.

any clue where this comes from ?

encodingContext->flags = 2143289344;
(2015-10-23, 15:19)MrMC Wrote: any clue where this comes from ?

encodingContext->flags = 2143289344;

No clue. From the context I'm guessing it's a combination of AV_CODEC_FLAG_* values with the value being 0x7FC00000.
where did we get with this?? I'm willing to pick this up and take it to the finish line. My thoughts really is to have everything transcoded into one form.

I think one easy way to do this is to have the render on a dongle as all devices should have USB

Rather than having this built into kodi, i honestly believe having it as an external app/player is the best way to go. I'm creating a client/renderer and player for kodi that so in essence is an all in one control with the player built in and you can easily add speakers and switch between sources and the rest. The issue im on now is this transcoding and getting everything to stream on TV's

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=244974
(2015-10-24, 18:31)69thelememt Wrote: I think one easy way to do this is to have the render on a dongle as all devices should have USB

What on earth are you talking about rendering on a dongle?

Also, as far as having external transcoding, plex has some minor integration options already. There is also Emby which has massive Kodi integration features. You can already run Kodi externally and have your entire library transcoded via Emby, with a totally native library "feel" (cached artwork, actors, plots, discart, etc) on the client side whether it's connected over LAN or WAN.

AIUI the focus here was always bringing in house transcoding, because externally there were already couple of existing options
No im still talking about transcoding on the fly and in real time on any device

I just believe the best way to do it to integrate it with other hardware and software is to create a app/interface that is not kodi's internal default player. A clean slate, plus then it has applications outside of kodi although purpose built for it

I'm bank rolling the project and i only have a basic understanding of coding, I can take advice from my coding team but really i wish to get your input as well as you guys obviously know Kodi so much better, then I can tell my coding tam what is ideal

Films are one thing and these are not too bad on most devices. Live TV and streams are different. I want everything to work no questions

Your talking realtime transcoding/remuxing of all the file type into something more common and universal

Container formats: AVI, MPEG, WMV, ASF, FLV, MKV/MKA (Matroska), QuickTime, MP4, M4A, AAC, NUT, Ogg, OGM, RealMedia RAM/RM/RV/RA/RMVB, 3gp, VIVO, PVA, NUV, NSV, NSA, FLI, FLC, DVR-MS and WTV
Video formats: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.263, MPEG-4 SP and ASP, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), H.265 (as from Kodi 14) HuffYUV, Indeo, MJPEG, RealVideo, RMVB, Sorenson, WMV, Cinepak.

and i wish to know how to best logically to achieve this

at the moment im thinking there needs to be a reader of the original source, and intermediary transcoder of the stream and an output player all running alongside each other??

Whatever the way is I want to put everything behind it, The vision is to be able to add speakers, home cinema systems anything UPnP or DLNA an control it from the interface, this is one reason why i think it might have to be outside of Kodi's default player as I dont want to limit it to Kodi, I want a full open and free solutions for every application, versatile and functional

Thanks
What project?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
the project really is to have a tablet capable of streaming all media sources from Kodi to any UPnP/DLNA source
Where is your web page? Source code?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
tablet eh Smile you better forget about sw transcoding then. The cpus out there are much more powerful than a few years ago but they don't have ponies for what you ask.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ACCEPTED: On-the-Fly Transcoding1