• 111(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
Quite simple I just did what Ed suggested and only removed the Textures13 file in the Database folder and of course the complete Thumbnails folder too with all it's sub-folders, I thought that was implicit form the earlier posts in this subject thread..

PC ?? Never use my PC just for backups or anything as I simply and effectively use Rob Weber;s Backup add-on which is excellent. Install from the KODI Repository and configure it to point to where you want the backups to save to, in my case that is the permanently installed SD card where I only allow the latest 3 backups to be stored. Also configure this Backup add-on to save the Add-ons and Profiles too as those two items are noy enabled by default. .

I never had to do a restore though as the thumbnails just reloaded but only the ones needed, not the massive number that had built up. Also the Textures13 file is reformed too as this appears to be the thumbnail database index and thus needs to be cleared when removing the thumbnails.

Hope that helps as I cannot be any clearer than that. .
Cheers
Raymw
Thanks, that's clear enough now, also I was daring (and didn't think anybody will reply right away) and removed the whole Data and thumbnails folders from the .Kodi backup while I had it on my computer, copied the now tiny backup (~3MB without any addons) back into the box and it works fine (except for other problems that likely have nothing to do with backup process). I wasn't sure which was the 'right way', seems both are working but of course I am on fresh install, not configured like yours.

You talk about 'Backup' addon from the offical Kodi repository, right? I used that too many times (making backups on usb key or SD card slotted into the box, when I still had Kodi running on Android) but why bother when you can ftp in and backup the whole thing (.Kodi)? Isn't that simpler? I mean as long as you got PC and know how to connect into the box. On Android you couldn't do that, in Android only bare kodi apk would be backed up (no matter if you used some backup programs that claim to back up Data as well as app.. they all do just app which you can download anytime...) and inside Kodi, the Backup app backed up data... but as I said why bother on linux.

Check my post, I edited it and describe some problems I just had with finding .Kodi folder after restoring backup made of the whole thing. It scared me, still don't understand what happened and if it will happen again.
I had MX linux 14.2 installed on one box for a while now and today I want to configure three other boxes and figured simple way would be to flash mx-linux 14.2 and then copy in them the configured .Kodi folder from one box that I will configure manually (I have some Backup backups from times when I was on Android but want to start fresh with mx-linux kodi. That way at least all addons will not demand lengthy updates right away which happens with restoring older backups.
I have and can use FTP into my box but I find it a waste of time and effort, as I honestly never really need to bother with all that. I can add and remove files using File Manager directly on my MyGica MX Linux box. The Rob Weber backup enables me to schedule backups to occur whenever I want too, and all my boxes for my friends and contacts auto schedule a backup every Monday morning at 2:00 AM local time onto the supplied and installed 8GB SD Card into a Backups folder, keeping only the last three backups to avoid over filling the SD card.

I only ever use Linux by the way, no interest in Android bloat ware as see no point in having all the crap lke Angry Birds andemail etc, all most of us need is the KODI system for streaming efficiently.

The .kodi folder is indeed found under the /root directory on the box but maybe you are not configured to show hidden and system folders and files either on yoru box for File Manager or on your PC based FTP client Huh?

When I set up a new box I flash it to the latest MX Linux compiled build, Then install Backup add-on form the KODI repository, then restore the box to my latest basic set up (which I update periodically as the popular add-ons change or get broken). After the Restore I pull the power straight out and restart the box so all my shortcuts and configuration settings form the backup are fully restored. Then I change the remote.conf file in the /etc/kodi folder and also add ARIALUNI.TTF font file to the /root/.kodi/media/FONTS folder so subtitles can correctly display Thai language Sandscript characters for my local Thai users. Finally changing international location settings and weather location for end users who are not local to me here, or indeed for those living outside of Thailand. I keep all the files I need on one master 4GB SD card for both flashing and restoring my latest basic setups to each new box,and indeed the font ttf file and remote.conf file too for finally copying across using KODI File Manager.

This is all sooo much easier IMHO than the hassle of using an FTP client on my PC, after first messing about noting the boxes newly assigned IP address etc.and believe me after nearly three years of doing this I have tried all methods and found the above method the most efficient and effective way of flashing and configuring a new virgin Android box to MX Linux, especially once I have a clean minimum thumbnails saved basic set up back up to restore to each newly flashed box.

Just see no point in using Android though when MX Linux is soooo much better. Look forward to MX Linux Isengard 15.2 very soon now and indeed I hear rumours of quad core MX Linux compiles on the way but no idea when that will be. MyGica ATV 585 and 1800/1900 boxes can then be available with Android removed and MX Linux (or even EmbER) added. These good quality Geniatech made MyGica quad core boxes are more expensive like for like so hope they do show some benefits in performance using MX Linux over the current dual core MX Linux boxes, though of course efficient streaming is very much primarily the function of a good internet connection which is the limiting factor for streaming efficiency.

Hope that helps Van141.
Cheers
Raymw
Yes, always helpful to hear from experienced user, in time I might adopt your approach.

Some additional questions - do you keep Mx-linux flashing files on SD card root as your backups and other files? I suppose that's OK.

In Kodi File Manager, how do you copy, move files between A/B panes? Do you use remote somehow? Or a mouse to drag and drop? I tried but USB mouse doesn't work, my wireless mouse with usb dongle also doesn't work. USB keyboard works, I suppose you use that to copy/move files in FM somehow? I used to use file managers in Android but here I have no clue how to use this one.

Restoring Backup backups on Helix never restored shortcuts for me, happened only once but that was when I was trying out Isengard, not sure that was a fluke or some fix for that was done in it, anyway on repeated restore I had no such luck. Perhaps pulling power on the box after restore does the trick to get shortcuts restored? Restoring shortcuts is important for me because I use skin 'Hwy99's Confluence mod' which has 25 shortcuts for Video, 10 for all others and making so many of them by hand is tedious.

I have remote.conf file that I downloaded from this thread, posted by tinker http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=180446&page=34 (post #501)
is that the one you use? Also put in smb.cof file where I modified one line for 'userdata' as it was in the orig smb.conf file. that way only the root permissions are added.
Code:
[Userdata]
path = /root/.xbmc
->path = /root/Data

I did try Kodi Isengard and quite apart from something not working I would say that unless you really need something it introduces, stay for now with golden oldie Helix fav version. I know we all want the latest shout in Kodi but for many 'normal' users Isengard doesn't bring that much if anything new, just some menus in settings have been redone and you have to get used to it, for seemingly no good reason. If or when I shop for Kodi box, it should be in a compact look like AppleTV box, maybe a little bigger as it would be more powerful and it should run linux or have some made linux-kodi like this mx-linux here. I agree, nobody needs android box, that was just marketing thing anyway, make it swiss knife... It is just a headache (it works on phones but I'd stay away from it anywhere else).
I have problem uninstalling weather addon from yahoo that could be issue with linux, not addon per se. I took it to the yahoo weather addon help section here on forums yahoo.weather addon help but as I mention there, perhaps it is linux fault in that it allows write/read but not delete/modify and perhaps the addon cannot uninstall because linux won't allow it to do that? That is to delete itself?

I found the addon is installed in linux in [usr-share-kodi-addons-weather.yahoo] and can't be budged. How do I gain access to be able to delete in this location? I proper hate this linux recalcitrance, its safety through the roof...

As per above post, by coincidence I modifed my smb.conf file just yesterday to allow root access. It is supposed to allow root access ->
Code:
[Root]
path = /
read only = no
public = yes
writable = yes
browseable = yes
force user = root
force group = root
But perhaps that means access into linux only from some windows programs but doens't work when you ftp in? I am fair beginner in these things, I have only smattering knowledge of linux things I picked up over the years.
Tried to reflash MX-Linux but even though it shows the other penquin and progress bar underneath it and then it reboots, it boots back into the old %^&* I had with my custom skin and yahoo poo still in there. I tried flashing twice, now will try going back to Android and then back to MX-Linux again.
------------------------------
I am going to flip, seriously. I flashed back to android, removed sdcard and powered up while holding reset to get to Android reset screen, there I wiped cache, media partition, factory reset to defaults, restarted, was back in Android 4.1.2, all fine. Flashed back to mx linux, boot to default confluence skin now, none of my repos there, all fine and dandy, then I go to installed addons - weather and lo and behold, the yahoo weather is still there. It either wins malware award of century or it comes default with kodi 14.1 and is uninstallable??

!! Update: yes, yahoo weather is like default confluence skin, both cannot be removed, best you can do is disable the yahoo addon (cannot uninstall) and install another skin but like yahoo weather, the confluence skin has to stay in there.

One of my finding is that ftp into the box and copying in .Kodi folder does nothing, even if you allow to replace all. For it to have any effect, you have to delete the .Kodi folder in linux first, then copy in your backup version. I am slowly loosing any faith in computer operations when "copy/replace all" does not do what is says it is doing.
(2015-10-23, 15:34)van141 Wrote:
(2015-09-17, 17:40)raymw Wrote:
(2015-09-12, 15:09)ed_davidson Wrote: Ray all you need to do is delete the thumbnails folder and also the textures13 file in the database folder. In fact you can delete the whole database folder. Then do a backup.
On restore the thumbnails will be re generated.

Thanks a lot Ed. That did the trick and no I did not delete the full Database folder either just the Textures13 file and that was why it did not work just deleting the Thumbnails folder. With the Thumbnails folder deleted and this Textures13 file I simply rebooted and all was fine and the needed thumbnails just simply downloaded as required.

I find this a bit confusing, what did work in the end? That sentence where you describe what you did is somewhat convoluted...

Also backup simply means copying out to PC the .Kodi folder, right? So you could delete the Database and Thumbnail folders inside that backup on your PC and then copy thus slimmed Kodi to other boxes... right?

I use WinSCP to FTP into my box (MXLinux flashed ATV1200) and I suppose you copy over the existing .Kodi and restart the box, right? Unconfigured (just one addon installed to test) Kodi is just 20MB and without Database (1.5MB) and Thumbnails (15.5MB) you end up with just 3MB backup Smile

===========================
OK I think I need help. I used WinSCP I had knocking around, v5.5.5 and FTPed in fine, copied out .Kodi folder as it was directly there when I got inside the box, then I copied inside box .Kodi without the database and thumbnails folders, it worked and still works fine, however the WinSCP I was using started reporting some memory problems and couldn't connect to box, on more tries it connected but the pane where root of the box should be was nothing... Anyway I have another newer version WinSCP v5.7.2 and that gets into the box fine, shows files on the box BUT its weird, now all I see is Linux files and can't find the .Kodi folder. I looked around, am not total noob but still can't find it. Where did it go? Where did I log in previously when I saw only some three or four, maybe just two files, of which one was .Kodi folder? Why am I now in linux root with all the usual files there but inside any of them I don't see .Kodi folder? I think I got lost, not sure what I am doing now. Help.

Kodi on the box still works fine, reboot of the box is fine, just that now I got all linux but cannot find the .Kodi directory
---------------------------------
OK Update - with newer version of winscp, the best I could recall I've seen .Kodi folder was in root directory that you get into also when you click the little house looking icon... but inside were just Data and lost+found folders. I recall that's where the .Kodi folder was but is not there anymore and nowhere to be seen. I give up and try again the older version winscp that worked for me and it logged in fine and in the root directory is now the .Kodi folder along with Data and lost+found folders plus .xbmc, .sysconfig folders which are sort of greyed out, same as .Kodi is. However you can select them just fine... Anyway, what does this greyout mean and why the other winscp didn't show or see these files starting with '.'? My linux knowledge doesn't reach that far, thank you.

(2015-10-24, 21:57)van141 Wrote: Yes, always helpful to hear from experienced user, in time I might adopt your approach.

Some additional questions - do you keep Mx-linux flashing files on SD card root as your backups and other files? I suppose that's OK.

In Kodi File Manager, how do you copy, move files between A/B panes? Do you use remote somehow? Or a mouse to drag and drop? I tried but USB mouse doesn't work, my wireless mouse with usb dongle also doesn't work. USB keyboard works, I suppose you use that to copy/move files in FM somehow? I used to use file managers in Android but here I have no clue how to use this one.

Restoring Backup backups on Helix never restored shortcuts for me, happened only once but that was when I was trying out Isengard, not sure that was a fluke or some fix for that was done in it, anyway on repeated restore I had no such luck. Perhaps pulling power on the box after restore does the trick to get shortcuts restored? Restoring shortcuts is important for me because I use skin 'Hwy99's Confluence mod' which has 25 shortcuts for Video, 10 for all others and making so many of them by hand is tedious.

I have remote.conf file that I downloaded from this thread, posted by tinker http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=180446&page=34 (post #501)
is that the one you use? Also put in smb.cof file where I modified one line for 'userdata' as it was in the orig smb.conf file. that way only the root permissions are added.
Code:
[Userdata]
path = /root/.xbmc
->path = /root/Data

I did try Kodi Isengard and quite apart from something not working I would say that unless you really need something it introduces, stay for now with golden oldie Helix fav version. I know we all want the latest shout in Kodi but for many 'normal' users Isengard doesn't bring that much if anything new, just some menus in settings have been redone and you have to get used to it, for seemingly no good reason. If or when I shop for Kodi box, it should be in a compact look like AppleTV box, maybe a little bigger as it would be more powerful and it should run linux or have some made linux-kodi like this mx-linux here. I agree, nobody needs android box, that was just marketing thing anyway, make it swiss knife... It is just a headache (it works on phones but I'd stay away from it anywhere else).

Easy to use File Manager as very intuitive once you know the simple how to. First thing though is you should go to System|Settings|Appearance|FIle Lists and enable all the options. By default two of them are not enabled "Allow file renaming and deletion" and "Show hidden Files and Directories" and these must be enabled. Once that is doen go back and launch the File Manager in the System main menu options.

File manager is easy to use. On either the A or B screen go to the directory where you want to access the file you need to copy, move, delete, rename etc and in the other screen go to where you want to copy/move the file(s) to. Highlight the file you want to copy or move and hit the menu button where all the copy/move.delete/etc options will be available to you and really self explanatory. So now all you now need do to copy or move is to select the copy or move command and confirm the command. The file will then copy to the other directory shown in the other screen so either copies or moves from A to B or B to A of course. Just be careful what you copy/move to where and what you rename or delete. I honestly practically NEVER bother with all the FTP hassle as can do all I need to do in File Manager. This is so much easier as I always try to opt for the Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) choices.

The remote.conf file you have looks okay to me and is probably similar to the remote.conf file I use to copy form my SD Card into the /etc/kodi directory. Main thing for me is that I like to have the three options when I hit the Red shut down button on the remote as prefer that so I can choose say Reboot rather than the box just shutting down with no feedback, as the default remote.conf file usually does.

Hope that helps,.
Cheers
Raymw
I struggled with what you mean by the 'menu button' (I thought it is some software button in File manager interface) until finally I figured it has to be some button on remote and found it is the one with three horizontal lines on it... never before used the button, didn't even know I have it Smile
Also wouldn't have known to allow copy/move etc in settings, so thanks to your help I am slowly getting handle on things.

Also love that menu giving you choice when pressing power button and because I use the custom skin I mentioned, I have fourth item there - 'Home Screen' which takes you back to the main interface no matter how deep you are in files. There is also home button on remote, not sure it works quite the same way, sometimes remote Home doesn't take you straight to the top interface but only partway and needs repeated pressing (when you play movie for example), on the other hand I am not yet sure if that 'Home Screen' on that power menu is any better.

Also found that my wireless keyboard 'Rii mini i8+' works with this linux kodi and if you allow Input mouse in Settings, even the mousepad on it works and my separate usb mouse that uses usb dongle also works, when I was trying it out earlier and it didn't work, I didn't have mouse input allowed in settings.

Another thing I found, in Backup addon you can set it so it doesn't backup the Thumbnails folder, there is a provision for that in settings.

One thing I found worth noting - if you use Shutdown timer and also have screensaver kicking in before scheduled shutdown, it doesn't shutdown but only very quickly reloads Kodi interface, probably not even restarting it, maybe it is a refresh of the interface. So if you want shutdown after some period of inactivity, you can't have screensaver on. BTW I use 'Installed Addons Screensaver' if it should be specific to this one. I started using one because the box froze on me twice when left siting idle for some time, like half hour or more and I recalled reading here a while back about that (that the solution to that is to use screensaver).

On Android I was able to install Teamviewer QuickSupport which allows remote access into the box if you'd want to service the boxes you passed on to people. Only fault is you need somebody at the remote end to allow you in by pressing Allow button twice and also pressing Home button on remote, after that you have full access (to Android desktop as well as all apps incl. Kodi) as if you had the box in your living room but if you restarted you would need again to asked to be allowed in. Now to install TViewer into linux, given we don't have Mx-Linux desktop, it would be challenging, more like for somebody who is very familiar with linux, maybe auxbox here might look into making TViewer part of his next 'issue'? Two issues I forsee, one good one bad. The good one would be that full TV can be installed as host on linux which allows unattended acces. The bad thing is I don't know if that would give access into linux only, that is not into Kodi interface.
Wow Van that menu button is so so important, I am surprised you were not aware of it !! You must be a very new user of XBMC/KODI and if so welcome to this wonderful World of on demand video and music. I use teh menu button often to get various useful options in many areas of KODI and the many add-ons I use. Like in Genesis say where if you hit the menu button instead of the OK one then you get options like Auto Play and Add to favourites etc. This is so important a button that I show all of my new users that when I install their boxes.

There is already a Home Screen button on your remote, or should be. I always teach new users to avoid using it though as if you are say in the server choice list in Genesis for a movie you want to see and hit Home then next time you go to Genesis it will take you back where you left and this is almost certainly not where you then want to go..This of course is reset if you power the box off. I always teach new users to repeatedly hit the Return button (or sometimes called the Back button) until you get back to the main home screen. That way, the next time you open that add-on again it comes in at the top menu where you likely want to be of course. To avoid lots of repeated navigation I use the menu button and add to favourites for things like TV series, seasons and/or episodes.

Almost all wireless keyboards with their paired USB dongle will work with these boxes, my favourite though by a mile is the Logitec K400R with an integrated mouse pad as most folk do not want untidy mouses (mice!!) laying around to get dropped and broken. Logitec make fine keyboards too and usually trouble free. Microsoft do make a similar keyboard to that Logitec one for about the same price (About 1400 Thai Baht incl 7% VAT here or roughly £23) Been using one for ages now and would not want to be without it. Sure you have to make sure the use of keyboards and mouses is enabled in the system settings of course. BTW on a keyboard the C button (think of C for contextual menu) is the same as the remote Menu button, Esc key is Home, and Backspace is Return or Back. Plus and Minus keys are for volume. So there are a few useful tips for those who did not already know.

I want to back up the Database, which includes I believe the Thumbnails sub-folder and certainty that Textures13 file you need to delete when removing the Thumbnail folder. That way I can restore to where I was before and want to return to if needed. I do though tidy up the thumbnails from time to time as mentioned above in this thread and then will usually do a new manual back up after such a clean up rather than wait for my usual weekly scheduled auto backup.

I never use the Shutdown Timer option personally as have no use for it. I only use either Full Shutdown or Reboot. I usually leave my box permanently powered up and connected to the router so auto updates happen as needed and often when I am not even using my box ro even fast asleep in bed. Sure you need an active screen saver to stop the known bug of idle cpu freezes so you need as the solution an ACTIVE screensaver that keeps the cpu ticking over to stop it going to sleep and freezing the system. A passive screensaver like the default Dim will not do the required job and the cpu will go to sleep after a while. The screensaver you mentioned is a good one and so is the Digital Clock one too, which I find useful with my standby TV screen as a nice big digital time display to save squinting for a clock or my iPhone clock for the right time. EmbER has fixed this big BTW but still too many bugs in EmbER 2 for me so use MX Linux for now and waiting for EmbER 3 which is imminent and promising.
Cheers
Raymw
I started with Kodi (then XBMC) last winter but the time I spent on figuring it out is much shorter, I have bouts when I try to press on with it, with varying success, despite knowing my way around computers (win OS) fairly well. Kodi reminds me of linux because it also has many devious ways of doing things (I like to say that linux programers have heads screwed on shoulders the other way than normal people...). I think it puts many potential users off (Kodi or Linux). When I chucked configuration by a wizard and tried to do it manually to have some control, that jumping through menus was the most confusing factor - it happens in Settings (and I think in addons also) even if you don't use the home button. I suppose it might be called 'intelligent' and can be helpful, especially for expert users, I still get caught out by it except that now I know my way around. Definitely makes it hard to guide remote users to do something.

Favourites is something I never figured out, even tried an addon a while back that specializes in organizing favourites but couldn't figure out how to add any and I just uninstalled it Wink everybody assumes you know all about your buttons. Big kudos to you Ray.
Shortcut keys you mention I didn't know, mostly use keyboard just to enter names in search or when configuring box, I use soft-keyboard with arrow keys only if have to. In addition to shortcuts you mention, one I was told about is to press M when playing audiobooks to pop up controls (still it is not practical to listen to audio that comes in many parts). Also don't like mouse pads, I always carry usb mouse when working on people's laptops. In my experience, ordinary users don't like to use peripherals like keyboards, just remote control.

About that Backup addon, I assume the maker knew what he was doing when he put that tick option for thumbnails in File options. I wouldn't bother preserving any, they all download back (the ones needed) without you even noticing it.

One thing I would like to know is how to tell how much is the box filled up, that is how the flash memory is full. I installed many repos and quite a few addons and here and there I get freezes when I muck around, wonder if that's on account of the box memory being too filled up. Android provided nice overview in settings, Kodi also tells something in system info but it doesn't seem to tell what the total is, just how much is used.
Another thing, when configuring manually and installing whole bunch of repositories, it gets tedious because after each repo is installed, it kicks you back out to 'Install from zip' in the File manager and to install next one, you have to retrace your way back, was wondering of better way to install them all in one go.
Hello. Something happened with my ATV1200 (Ember v1.0). I see only flashing picture "KODY" after loading. Sad Tell me please, what does it mean.
Bricked. Revert to android.
(2015-11-01, 17:56)ed_davidson Wrote: Bricked. Revert to android.
Revert to android from Ember does not work. Tell me please, what should I do.
Many people are having issues reverting from Ember to android. There is lots of information in this thread. Enough for you to be able to unbrick. You'll have to open the box and bridge the pins.
(2015-11-01, 19:03)ed_davidson Wrote: Many people are having issues reverting from Ember to android. There is lots of information in this thread. Enough for you to be able to unbrick. You'll have to open the box and bridge the pins.
I read almost all this thread. Bridging pins is not working for me.Only reset button. When i created bootable SD card with Android from Geniatech I got recovery screen. Ember is working after rebooting, but not as good as previously (freezing). I want to install Android and later install Helix. But somethig is wrongImage
  • 111(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5