• 86(current)
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)
(2015-10-24, 17:15)schumi2004 Wrote:
(2015-10-21, 22:54)wrxtasy Wrote: 1. Stable Firmware that actually works properly with Kodi.
2. Regular Updates to squash any bugs Guaranteed.
3. From a Known Kodi Sponsor, so you know what you are actually getting is quality.
4. 24p HD Netflix
5. OpenELEC, that just works properly as well.
6. Support Support Support

Basically you get what you pay for with Android Kodi devices, spin the roulette wheel and save a few $$$
You might get lucky, but mostly you won't with these Chinese Android devices with no support.
They use a pump and dump marketing, worse still users even end up being Alpha Testers of their Firmware. Sad
Sounds interesting but how would you get Netflix with OpenELEC version?
As far as i know, getting Netflix to work within OpenELEC is running Kodi on Android if you would go for the Wetek or am I wrong?
Yes run Android Lollipop from the internal NAND for HD Netflix, push a micro SD card into the slot and reboot if you want OpenELEC or Ubuntu or a whole bunch of other OS's.

A lot of AMLogic devices can do this, some if they are cleverly setup can even run Android / Ubuntu / OpenELEC from a single SD card with the help of a FLIRC usb and a reboot. You don't even need to get off the couch for this type of selectable setup.

Chromeboxes too can be setup to be dual boot selectable with a compatible BT Keyboard.

Probably getting off topic now but why not just run Kodi in Android and launch android apps from within Kodi (like i can on my mobile)?
Sounds more easy to me.
Yes you could quite happily stay in Android Lollipop if you wanted too. Kodi runs fine, launching Android Apps.
Linux land is much faster tho if you need it for anything.

Flexibility too - like if you need to run any Linux based applications, say a OpenELEC TV Headend server.
There is a bunch of good stuff in Linux that is not available in Android, when the Hardware is obsolete for an Android device it can then be reused for something else too.

wrx and j-m-s

Thanks for your advice so far.

I know that I said that a Windows box was overkill but would you see a problem with either of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Vensmile-BayTrail-...s=vensmile
http://www.amazon.com/VENSMILE-Computer-...s=vensmile

I think that, if I look around enough, I'll be able to find either for around or less than US$120 from someone who will ship to Oz.

The only issues I'm aware of is that, because the BT and wifi share the same chip, BT performance can get a bit shaky when there is a lot of wifi activity and it uses a UEFI BIOS, which, I gather, limits the use of other OS's and dual booting. With 2 full-size USB ports I could use a bluetooth dongle, if necessary, or a 2.4GHz RF dongle and remote/air mouse/keyboard.

Realistically, the 32GB model should be sufficient because there are not going to be many apps installed (this is just going to be, essentially, a streaming box) nor a lot of media storage (that will be stored remotely). The advantage, as I see it, is that there are no firmware issues because, well, it's Windows, Win 8.1 or 10 should not have any issues with deinterlacing or finding drivers, etc. and it might give a wider range of alternative uses should I decide to repurpose it down the track. It's also the same size as my Note 4 so it's easily hidden.

Thoughts?
Avoid Baytrails ... the gpu is utter shit.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-10-25, 13:41)fritsch Wrote: Avoid Baytrails ... the gpu is utter shit.

Even if I'll rarely use it for anything better than 720P?
I am in the process of selecting an android tv box. I have narrowed it down to the following three. Minix Neo X8-H Plus, Wetek core or the Droidbox T8 S.
The Droidbox and Wetek both have the option of openelec, but the Droidbox has the S802 cpu whereas the other two run the S812. I favour the Droidbox as it has the embedded openelec but concerned about the S802.
I would appreciate some advice as to the best box for kodi
I'm not going to tell you what to buy, but the Droidbox T8 S has this:
Quote:Custom DroidBOX Kodi versions available for download: Kodi 15.0 Stable DBMC 15 based on SPMC 15 Kodi 15.1 Stable Kodi 15.2 RC1 Select to download Kodi 14.2 for T8/T8-S/M5/S82

Now being an English UK company they should be fully aware of their GPL compliance obligations, and have to provide any modified source code of the custom version of Kodi they are using. Failure to do so means they are a GPL violator and should be the first English company to be put on the Kodi known violators list.

EDIT: They may have published it somewhere but I'm having trouble finding it.

Do you think for one minute GPL compliant official Kodi Diamond sponsors like MINIX and WeTek would be happy about a company such as this ?
I know I certainly would not be.

It gets worse, it appears the box being discussed also has an Addon/App called the Wookie/Droidbox Wizard that basically allows easy installation of Kodi banned addons.

My brother owns a T8 bought in good faith but @wrxtasy is correct it comes "fully loaded" which at best Is inappropriate at worst illegal. I doubt very much that they are providing support, feedback and progress of Kodi.

They are probably cashing in on other people's hard work and not "paying back".
So my choice would now be the Minix or Wetek, with presumably the wetek core being the first choice with openelec addition through an sd card.
In my opinion after testing and use some of does boxes the Nvidia Shield is the Best Android TV Experience, its also best android media player out-of-the-box to use Kodi, and the powerful hardware and remote is a huge bonus for gaming..

The Nvidia Shield for 200€ is not expensive for what is capable to do...

Gaming for Kids
Video-on-demand or netflix for my wife
Bluray streamer /kodi for myself...

Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

Questions for nVIDIA Shield owners: (as this info is not all in the one place on the one page)

1) How much extra do you have to pay for a remote control, and I don't mean the gamepad that's included ?
2) Can I log on to the Google Play Store to install thousand of Apps or only the Android TV OS ones ?
3) Does Netflix or any of those other DRM streaming apps Automatically switch my TV into 24p mode for silky smooth video playback like the MINIX and WeTek devices do ?
4) What is the deinterlacing quality like if I want to watch broadcast TV through this device ?
5) Can I use a program like TvHeadend server on this device ?
6) Any 3D MVC video playback like on the RPi2 has ?
7) Is HD Audio passthrough from within Kodi working ?
8) The problematic VC-1 codec that a bunch of platforms has trouble with, does this playback correctly. Both 29.97 Interlaced and 23.976fps progressive ?
9) Is Kodi easily installed from the Play Store ?

(2015-10-25, 23:55)couto27 Wrote: In my opinion after testing and use some of does boxes the Nvidia Shield is the Best Android TV Experience, its also best android media player out-of-the-box to use Kodi, and the powerful hardware and remote is a huge bonus for gaming..

Gaming for Kids
Bluray streamer for myself...

Thanks for that, but it doesn't do what I need. I need a small box to sit beside my tv I am retired and have no inclination to play games. I am basically looking for the best hardware to run Kodi
Hello friends. I have a choice .. I need:
1. IPTV
2. VOD
3. 3D ISO
4. 4k video
5. Good work VU + PVR on Kodi with my VU+ Solo2 by WiFi!!!!
Wetek Core best choice, is that correct? Or NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV? Gigabyte BRIX GB-BACE 3150 (+8G ram +1Tb HDD)? Or another box?
Please advise.
(2015-10-25, 23:55)couto27 Wrote: In my opinion after testing and use some of does boxes the Nvidia Shield is the Best Android TV Experience, its also best android media player out-of-the-box to use Kodi, and the powerful hardware and remote is a huge bonus for gaming..

Gaming for Kids
Bluray streamer /kodi for myself...

I agree on the Nvidia Shield (friend of mine has one) but for me it's a no-go since it doesn't have SPDIF.
And since i really need SPDIF i'm going for the WeTeK Core.

Now i only need to find out how to easily switch between Android and OpenELEC without swapping SD cards all the time Wink
Maybe @wrxtasy can give me some hints on how to accomplish this? Wink
  • 86(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)26