Solved XBMC and MAL Updater Workaround (Anime Recognition)
I don't know if anyone has this problem, but I did and I found a workaround.

So I use both Trakt and MAL Updater.

I've been using MAL before I found Trakt, and it's still my preferred site for anime.

The problem was to getting Kodi to scrape my anime correctly and getting Trakt and MAL Updater to recognize the anime.

Trakt uses the S00E00 naming scheme. Sure, you might get some episodes recognized, but not all - especially the ones with more than 1 season.
MAL Updater uses the E00 scheme.

Kodi scrapes the S00E00 naming scheme perfectly, but scraping the E00 scheme isn't perfect.

I use Filebot to rename all my anime when they're downloaded.

Firstly, I download all my anime to a folder that Kodi doesn't auto-scan (with watchdog).
I then use Filebot to rename same anime. I wrote a script and ran it frequently with a batch file. What it does is rename all my anime with the E00 format using Anidb as the source, then renamed to the S00E00 format using the TVDb as source so that Kodi and Trakt will recognize them, and also have the script move the files to an Anime folder. Said folder is then auto-scanned into my library.

As it stands Kodi will scrape the anime perfectly and Trakt will recognize it, however MAL won't.

The workaround is to rename the file - the anime's filename. To be more precise add the MAL ID Tags to the filename.
You can do that with the Batch tool: Rename/Set Folder/Add ID tags that's apart of the MAL Updater application.

Filename before:
God Eater - S01E01 - Lenka Utsugi [480p x264 AAC 2ch]

Filename after:
God Eater - S01E01 - Lenka Utsugi [480p x264 AAC 2ch][MID#27631#1#]
Laptop: Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 GHz) | 1 TB + 8 GB SSHD
Kodi 18.3
MiniPC: LibreELEC 8.2.1
Sharing Media: SMB (HDD: 2 TB, 1 TB) | Media Manager/Organizer - Media Companion
Hi,
Thanks for all the information regarding this and for sharing it too.

I have a couple of questions as I am having trouble getting trakt to work with my anime, which is currently named with absolute order numbers. It works for files that are in Trakt's season 1, however files after that are not scrobbling.

First, in Kodi are your files still able to be sorted with absolute order? I still prefer this to the season order that thetvdb has decided.

Second, are you able to share the script files and batch file you used to get this to all work together?

Cheers in advance
(2015-09-07, 00:04)anzerman Wrote: Hi,
Thanks for all the information regarding this and for sharing it too.

I have a couple of questions as I am having trouble getting trakt to work with my anime, which is currently named with absolute order numbers. It works for files that are in Trakt's season 1, however files after that are not scrobbling.

First, in Kodi are your files still able to be sorted with absolute order? I still prefer this to the season order that thetvdb has decided.

Second, are you able to share the script files and batch file you used to get this to all work together?

Cheers in advance

Hi,

No problem Smile

Yes, they are sorted in my Kodi library. However, for some anime like those below that uses absolute ordering:
  • Dragon Ball Z
  • Naruto Shippuden
  • One Piece
  • Fairy Tail

Trakt uses the season order. So after you reach a certain episode Trakt will not scrobble the correct episode. However, when you rename said anime to the season order, Trakt scrobbles the episodes perfectly.

Also, for other anime, that have their 2nd season with a different name, Trakt won't recognize those either. Trakt only recognizes the anime's 1st season's name and every other name after that is referred to as a season. Like:
  • Baby Steps (Baby Steps (season 1) and Baby Steps 2nd Season (season 2))
  • Kingdom (Kingdom (season 1) and Kingdom 2nd Season (season 2))

You have other anime that Trakt will not recognize because of it's name. The anime's name on Trakt is the english version and not the original version. Like:
  • Ore Monogatari (On Trakt this is called My Love Story!!)

So, to make life easier for me I renamed all my anime to the season order and I had no issue with Trakt scrobbling my episodes since.

You might prefer the absolute order, but Trakt has issues with it. So, if you want to use Trakt, you'll have to use TVDB's season order.

Yes, I can share the files with you.

Firstly, you need Filebot.

If you have a collection of older anime, you'll have to use the program and not the script to rename the episodes. The scripts I use have constraints. I set my scripts to only look up the most recent episodes in order to get the correct name. Constraints like search for the anime's episodes that have been aired in the last 7 days, 14 days or 30 days.

If you're still interested, let me know, I'll PM you the scripts and instructions.
Laptop: Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 GHz) | 1 TB + 8 GB SSHD
Kodi 18.3
Sharing Media: SMB (HDD: 2 TB, 1 TB) | Media Manager/Organizer - Media Companion
Thanks for the explanation. I guess I will just have to deal with having them named with the TVDB order if I want to use them with trakt, damn.

It would be good if either KODI allowed a "sort" order for shows, so that even if files are named as absolute or TVDB order they could be displayed in the library as either absolute or TVDB order. Also it sounds like we need to request that trakt adds the absolute order scrobbling as a feature.

At the moment I use aniDB client to name all of my files. I am certainly still interested if you can share the filebot scripts and instructions Smile

Thanks in advance.
Okay.

So, I'm assuming you've downloaded and installed the latest version of Filebot.
Also assuming you're using a Windows OS.

I have 2 types of scripts that I use: one with a filter and one without.
When I say filter, I mean Filebot will only search episodes based on the filter I provide. The filter being age. How far back should Filebot go to query the episode's info.

In order to get the script working for you, you only need to change the directories in the script to a directory of your choosing.

The script will create all the necessary directories, such as the anime's folder and the season folder. You just need to provide the paths to the directories/folders.

I have 2 directories. Lets call them Folder 1 and Folder 2.

Folder 1
The path to this directory is C:\Folder 1.
I downloaded the anime, Naruto Shippuuden - 427, to this folder.

I ran the script.

Folder 2
The path to this directory is C:\Folder 2.
The anime's renamed to Naruto Shippuden - S17E66 - Road to Tenten - Into the Dream World (1) and is moved from Folder 1 to this directory, Folder 2. The script moved the renamed file. It created a folder based on the anime's name and sub-folder based on the anime's season. In this case, it created:
C:\Folder 2\Naruto Shippuden
and
C:\Folder 2\Naruto Shippuden\Season 17

SCRIPTS

What both script does is that it searches the AniDB for the anime and renamed it accordingly and in the absolute order. It then searches TVDB and renamed it accordingly in the season order.
The purpose for this is that AniDB provides the official anime name and the episode's title, which increases TVDB's accuracy.

Script 1 below rename the episodes without any filter.
I would not recommend using this for long running anime like Naruto Shippuden, One Piece, Fairy Tail, etc.

Use the Filebot application directly for renaming earlier episodes of long running anime.
Also, note that when you use the application directly, it doesn't automate the process. You will have to copy-and-paste the renamed file to the appropriate folder manually.

Script 1 - without filter - LINK
Code:
filebot -script fn:renall "C:/Folder 1" -non-strict --db AniDB & filebot -script fn:renall "C:/Folder 1" -non-strict --db TheTVDB --format "C:/Folder 2/{n}/Season {s.pad(2)}/{n} - {s00e00} - {t}"

Script 2 below is filtered with age less than 7 days ago (age<7).
Filebot only queries the anime info that's within the 6 days time frame.
This is great for currently airing anime. So, let's say you're renaming a recent Naruto Shippuden episode. Filebot will only search the episodes that have been released within 6 days ago. So, the odds of you getting wrong information are pretty low.
These long running anime are known to cause problem when it comes renaming their episodes.

Script 2 - with filter - LINK
Code:
filebot -script fn:renall "C:/Folder 1" -non-strict --db AniDB --filter "age < 7" & filebot -script fn:renall "C:/Folder 1" -non-strict --db TheTVDB --format "C:/Folder 2/{n}/Season {s.pad(2)}/{n} - {s00e00} - {t}" --filter "age < 7"

You will have to edit the batch files using a text editor, like Notepad.
Replace the paths with yours.

Notice the difference between the path in the script and the path in the address bar?
The backslash (\) address bar should be replaced with a forward slash (/) in the script.

I ran the scripts when I need to.
You can automate this process by creating a task.

I tried to make this as clear as possible.
If you require more assistance, just holla! Smile
Kodi 18.3
@marhutchy

do you use XBMAL ?
coz i have this problem
XBMAL updater user and password is wrong
while im sure i type the user and pass correctly

also how can i make the file become like this one ?

Filename before:

Filename after:
(2015-10-25, 18:31)FevLoad Wrote: @marhutchy

do you use XBMAL ?
coz i have this problem

Filename before:

Filename after:

I tried XBMAL, but it didn't work for me.

I use the Mal Updater application to append the respective anime's ID on MAL to the filename. LINK
It's this group on MAL. LINK
Kodi 18.3
(2015-10-25, 23:27)marhutchy Wrote:

do you use XBMAL ?
coz i have this problem

Filename before:

Filename after:

I use the Mal Updater application to append the respective anime's ID on MAL to the filename. LINK

is it better than Taiga LINK

also i want to make the file name like this one

Filename after:

what to use to make it like this
i couldnt do it with filebot
(2015-10-26, 19:27)FevLoad Wrote:
(2015-10-25, 23:27)marhutchy Wrote:

do you use XBMAL ?
coz i have this problem

Filename before:

Filename after:

is it better than Taiga LINK

also i want to make the file name like this one

Filename after:

what to use to make it like this
i couldnt do it with filebot

This is the first time I'm hearing about Taiga... I might try that now Smile

MAL Updater has been a bit buggy since of late. It hangs for me occasionally. I don't know if any other user is having a similar experience.

Filebot only provides this portion:
Code:

MAL Updater provides the rest:
Code:
[MID#27631#1#]

Making it:
Code:

Here's how to add the MAL's info:
watch gallery

A question for you in regards to Taiga...
I used MAL Updater to add the rest of the information like the MAL ID to the filename, because MAL Updater would misinterpret a file like
Fairy Tail - S06E30 - Tartaros Arc Final Duel [480p AVC AAC 2ch]
as
Fairy Tail - E06
With that Fairy Tail being the first one at episode 6; not the 2nd Fairy Tail that's airing now.
However with the addition of the MAL ID, it correctly recognizes the anime. Do you have the same problem with Taiga?
Kodi 18.3
@marhutchy

Taiga is good app for keep your list updating on MAL
its good as long as you keep the following

# original naming from the release Fansubbers .
Example : [HonokaSubs] Fairy Tail S2 - 81 [720p].Mkv

the updater works fine for episodes 24 shows or ones that have long running but TVDB did not listed as season so it will works on both Kodi and Taiga .

but still it will not recognize the MID tag thing like MAL updater .
I was reading about that. I opened an issue about considering adding the TVDB to his application.

Kodi has problems when it comes to scraping multi-season anime that are named with the fansubbed group.
Kodi 18.3
@marhutchy
i just saw your topic on the github
(2015-10-28, 22:44)FevLoad Wrote: @marhutchy

I don't think they're understanding me Undecided
Kodi 18.3
(2015-10-29, 02:26)marhutchy Wrote:
(2015-10-28, 22:44)FevLoad Wrote: @marhutchy

I don't think they're understanding me Undecided

If they don‘t . then Keep using MAL updater instead
but i still using it beside MAL for the time being .
Yesterday I got Win10 and now MALU doesn't recognize played anmies anymore. Well this may to be expected on a new release where the method for that has changed/or even removed, but hope, that it can be fixed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC and MAL Updater Workaround (Anime Recognition)0