• 129(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
(2015-10-27, 01:38)Warner306 Wrote:
(2015-10-27, 00:15)ashlar Wrote: I output 12bits with a GTX960...

This selected from the resolution Nvidia control panel.

My Pioneer Kuro detects the signal and sets itself in 36 bit mode.

Doesn't madVR add dithering to this? The control panel says 10-bits or more. Is this value open rather than a fixed value?
madVR outputs 10 bits (I run DX11 Exclusive) dithered from the 8 bits source, yes. But in my control panel I only have two options for color depth on the Kuro: 8 bits and 12 bits. Whereas, for instance, on the desktop PC I have 8 bits and 10 bits as options. I think it depends on the screen you connect the graphic card to (both are Nvidia, in the desktop case it's a GTX980, in the HTPC a GTX660).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Apart from "Higher is better" mindset, I really doubt anyone would tell much (if any) differences when output in 8bit /10bit/12 bit. Because 99% of media files now coming from 8bit source even if Hi10P files usually encode with 10bit encoder from 8bit source anyway.
(2015-10-27, 12:21)oldpoem Wrote: Apart from "Higher is better" mindset, I really doubt anyone would tell much (if any) differences when output in 8bit /10bit/12 bit. Because 99% of media files now coming from 8bit source even if Hi10P files usually encode with 10bit encoder from 8bit source anyway.

The major difference is RGB or 4:4:4, but 2160P at 24Hz isn't 60Hz, HDMI 2.0 should be capable of 2160p 24Hz 10bit RGB.

Does 8bit->10bit upscale barely make any difference? As there's about x4 as much colors? I haven't tested it, but i do know that newer 4k Blurays will be 10bit 4:4:4 or RGB (Rec 2020), along with the dolby vision backlight program.
Hi!

The Kodi v16.0 Jarvis, with DVDPlayer, plays ISO 3D .

Can DSPlayer play ISO 3D?

With menú? (Jarvis with dvdplayer without menú)

Thanks for your replies!
(2015-10-27, 00:15)ashlar Wrote: In chapters, under bookmarks, they appear just as "Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc" with no title. This on an MKV whose capters titles are disolayed correctly with DVDplayer.

will be fixed with the next build (jarvis build)

(2015-10-27, 03:20)GlennNZ Wrote: Hi

Thanks a lot for ongoing development - is currently 'so' stable - increasingly reluctant to upgrade to newer builds as really have no problems

Was one MadVR aspect which doesn't appear implemented within Dsplayer - which would be ideal for those as myself that use 2.35:1 screen and zoom/etc

That is the "Move OSD into active video area" setting on Device, Screen Config MadVR setting.

Ideally to move Kodi OSD display within the video area, regardless of the window size - would complete the 2:35:1 experience.

Thanks for considering. As Madshi's explains in his attachment - Madshi for Devs

Glenn

are you talking about a projector setup? if yes i already spoke with madshi about that, the main problems it's that those options are made for a player like mpc that have to render something only while playback
instead kodi have to render the gui always even without a playback, so i cannot retrieve the rect about the active video area from madVR in these cases, so you will continue to have the kodi main menu outside the mask

anyway i will try to do something with the next jarvis build that will include also zoom control option in Kodi
(2015-10-26, 01:25)LePousson Wrote: Just a Quick question ...

What, and where, should I modify something to make Kodi to play DVD ISO files and VIDEO_TS rips ?

Please also tell me how to enable the deinterlace for those ISOs ...

Thanks in advance ...

LePousson
Anyone can tell me about that please ?
(2015-10-27, 16:41)XTrojan Wrote: The major difference is RGB or 4:4:4, but 2160P at 24Hz isn't 60Hz, HDMI 2.0 should be capable of 2160p 24Hz 10bit RGB.

Does 8bit->10bit upscale barely make any difference? As there's about x4 as much colors? I haven't tested it, but i do know that newer 4k Blurays will be 10bit 4:4:4 or RGB (Rec 2020), along with the dolby vision backlight program.

the UBD doesn't use 4:4:4 at all and RGB isn't supported too.

the bit deep doesn't increase the number of colors. it increases the steps between each color nothing else.

simply changing 8 bit to 10 bit is done using padding.

10 bit output is pretty much worthless with lossy 8 bit source and most TVs dither this to 8 bit anyway.
Hello all, apologies if this is in the thread, I tried searching.

I'm wondering if it's possible to use Kodi DSPlayer and MadVR with the WMC PVR backend? I'd love to get madVR scaling and 3dlut on live tv source and currently use serverWMC as my pvr backend.

Thanks!
(2015-10-27, 20:07)huhn Wrote:
(2015-10-27, 16:41)XTrojan Wrote: The major difference is RGB or 4:4:4, but 2160P at 24Hz isn't 60Hz, HDMI 2.0 should be capable of 2160p 24Hz 10bit RGB.

the UBD doesn't use 4:4:4 at all and RGB isn't supported too.

the bit deep doesn't increase the number of colors. it increases the steps between each color nothing else.

simply changing 8 bit to 10 bit is done using padding.

10 bit output is pretty much worthless with lossy 8 bit source and most TVs dither this to 8 bit anyway.

The bit depth does increase the number of colors, but only between the existing black and white. The range remains the same. I believe I can see the decrease in noise on my TV vs. ordered dithering, so I don't believe it is worthless. It does appear to increase image quality, at least, to my eyes.

This is what Google says:

"That sounds like plenty, and to the naked eye, it is. But subtle differences between those 256 shades, impossible with 8-bit color, can help create depth and a sense of reality. That's where deep color comes in. With 10-bit color, you get 1,024 shades of each primary color, and over a billion possible colors."
(2015-10-27, 21:09)jdoo Wrote: Hello all, apologies if this is in the thread, I tried searching.

I'm wondering if it's possible to use Kodi DSPlayer and MadVR with the WMC PVR backend? I'd love to get madVR scaling and 3dlut on live tv source and currently use serverWMC as my pvr backend.

Thanks!

I don't believe that frontend is supported. All live TV links are found in the first post.
OK thanks. So it looks like I need to set up NextPVR or mediaportal.

Shame, I like the free guide data provided by wmc.
(2015-10-27, 22:25)Warner306 Wrote: The bit depth does increase the number of colors, but only between the existing black and white. The range remains the same. I believe I can see the decrease in noise on my TV vs. ordered dithering, so I don't believe it is worthless. It does appear to increase image quality, at least, to my eyes.

"That sounds like plenty, and to the naked eye, it is. But subtle differences between those 256 shades, impossible with 8-bit color, can help create depth and a sense of reality. That's where deep color comes in. With 10-bit color, you get 1,024 shades of each primary color, and over a billion possible colors."

the source doesn't have 1024 shades of informations only lossy 235/240.

on a 16 bit test image you get a different result but with a lossy 8 bit source the difference is so small.

8 bit or 10 bit output doesn't change the type of dithering madVR uses.
(2015-10-27, 23:51)huhn Wrote:
(2015-10-27, 22:25)Warner306 Wrote: The bit depth does increase the number of colors, but only between the existing black and white. The range remains the same. I believe I can see the decrease in noise on my TV vs. ordered dithering, so I don't believe it is worthless. It does appear to increase image quality, at least, to my eyes.

the source doesn't have 1024 shades of informations only lossy 235/240.

on a 16 bit test image you get a different result but with a lossy 8 bit source the difference is so small.

8 bit or 10 bit output doesn't change the type of dithering madVR uses.

I didn't say it changed the dithering, just that the decreased dithering added to the image seems to make the image less noisier to me.
When the source has 8bit information, output to higher bit information doesn't change color information in those pixels. The additional shades information doesn't just magically appeared out of nowhere.I doubt most of your visually changes you see come from different dithering pattern more than higher bit output anyway.
(2015-10-28, 00:06)oldpoem Wrote: When the source has 8bit information, output to higher bit information doesn't change color information in those pixels. The additional shades information doesn't just magically appeared out of nowhere.I doubt most of your visually changes you see come from different dithering pattern more than higher bit output anyway.

Sure, it is just padding. But it seems to look better. It is just my perception. I've been told it doesn't matter, but I think it looks better.

Edit: I am always clarifying information in the guide, which is supposed to be more about technical accuracy than my own perceptions. If there are any suggestions for improvement in the description of bit-depths there, I could add it. My technical knowledge is sometimes limited with some topics, so I have clarified several sections over time.

The updates are an attempt to create the most complete madVR guide around because other options on the web are limited or not updated frequently enough to keep up with madVR development.
  • 129(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47