• 36(current)
Android Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)
(2015-11-02, 18:17)Tinwarble Wrote: I was half joking, since I've brought this up multiple times before (along with debug logs). And I know (sort of) what is causing it, which is the "hack" (not my word) used in Kodi for pass-through.

I would also like know why passthrough doesn't work with certain AVRs. From what I could gather, it has something to do with FFmpeg encapsulation or IEC 61937 header/frames. I was going to get a new Denon X4200W AVR and I have seen one person report that Kodi passthrough on SATV is not working with Denon X3200W Sad I am not sure where I saw that post. It may be on nVIDIA forums.
That would really be the very first AVR that would not accept DTS / AC3 from nvidia hw via a non cripled OS.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-11-02, 19:23)fritsch Wrote: That would really be the very first AVR that would not accept DTS / AC3 from nvidia hw via a non cripled OS.
There are other users (including Tinwarble) who have reported similar problem. It seems to happen with Denon/Pioneer AVRs.
And yet other speculation ... get me a Debug Log with a proper client / hw / software. Run e.g. OpenELEC from an usb stick on your laptop and you will see that it will work ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-11-02, 19:23)fritsch Wrote: That would really be the very first AVR that would not accept DTS / AC3 from nvidia hw via a non cripled OS.

Nope, there's a bunch more. Mines also a Denon, just an older AVR-391.

(2015-11-02, 19:26)fritsch Wrote: And yet other speculation ... get me a Debug Log with a proper client / hw / software. Run e.g. OpenELEC from an usb stick on your laptop and you will see that it will work ...

Of course it works fine with other devices. My Chromebox has no issues, but neither, I believe, is the audio encapsulated in 2 channel either.

But again, it works fine with the built in Video Player.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I am doing OpenELEC since 5 years and no, absolutely no case appeared on x86 hw where passthrough of ac3 or DTS did not work. Denons / Pioneers have issues "eating" 44.1 khz at 1080p60 is very known in combination with intel hw - but there was not a single case that passthrough for ac3 and or dts did not work.

Don't confuse Android AC3 with a general statement. On Android only nullptr knows what happens after we have sent the data ... koying is working on another way of sending the passthrough bits which could make the difference.
No, just a misreading of your statement, since I don't really consider Android on the SATV to be "crippled". Especially with some of the newer APIs integrated into it, which I'm not sure if they have been fully been taken advantage of yet.

But it's good to know that Koying is working on something.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
@Tinwarble: You seem to be "into the API" - care to help - we have a very, very high percentage of Android leechers - but very few people that actually do / develop something for it - so now is the time to stand up and get hands dirty.
(2015-11-02, 19:31)fritsch Wrote: I am doing OpenELEC since 5 years and no, absolutely no case appeared on x86 hw where passthrough of ac3 or DTS did not work. Denons / Pioneers have issues "eating" 44.1 khz at 1080p60 is very known in combination with intel hw - but there was not a single case that passthrough for ac3 and or dts did not work.

Don't confuse Android AC3 with a general statement. On Android only nullptr knows what happens after we have sent the data ... koying is working on another way of sending the passthrough bits which could make the difference.

And yet other speculation ... get me a Debug Log with a proper client / hw / software. Run e.g. OpenELEC from an usb stick on your laptop and you will see that it will work ...

What (!) - this is completely bullshit ... just plug in your windows computer to the AVR and you will see that DD / DTS will work. You are aware that DTS/AC3 must work over spdif, too and that there are only 2 pcm channels are available?

Can you not understand that these people are posting in the nvidia shield android TV thread and are saying there is an issue with pass through on this device , your references to other devices/OS has no bearing on this issue
Lol - can you understand that if someone says that "kodi wrongly sends AC3 via 2 channels" that this is globally wrong as this is the way to send AC3 / DTS audio? No matter on which platform? All I was saying was: Do not blame your AVR - cause it is _not_ the AVR's problem - but something else.
They are saying kodi on the nvidia shield "wrongly sends AC3 via 2 channels"
I do not believe anyone was blaming their AVR
I have a Denon X2100W and other then an occasional hiccup where just hitting stop then play again I haven't had any problems with DD/DTS passthrough. I think on Jarvis I just decode everything to PCM and still get those occasional hiccups.
(2015-11-02, 19:44)fritsch Wrote: @Tinwarble: You seem to be "into the API" - care to help - we have a very, very high percentage of Android leechers - but very few people that actually do / develop something for it - so now is the time to stand up and get hands dirty.

Sorry, would if I could but not a developer. However, that doesn't stop me from keeping up with what's going on, reading what I can and talking to people that are developers.

Plus, I just got into skinning only about 3 months ago and what little free time I do have has been eaten up by that.
And this is wrong! This statement is wrong. AC3 is always sent via 2 pcm channels ... it is a virtual bitstream format (it encapsulates up to 6 channels via those 2 (!) pcm channels) - that is decoded by the AVR at the end.
(2015-11-02, 19:54)fritsch Wrote: And this is wrong! This statement is wrong. AC3 is always sent via 2 pcm channels ... it is a virtual bitstream format (it encapsulates up to 6 channels via those 2 (!) pcm channels) - that is decoded by the AVR at the end.

So what? Still the issue remains on the shield TV and logs from others devices will be of little help
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)6