• 81(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
Some AVR's tend to add video processing, even if disabled or set to 'through'. This can cause EDID issues where proper video info. isn't passed to the PJ. Found out the hard way with my Onkyo TX-NR636, which was the issue when I'd suspected RPi2 for months. Now have a different AVR.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Okay. I'll take a look and see if that's the issue for the 3D. Hopefully, I can turn off whatever the AVR has that's causing the problem. Out of curiosity, would you happen to have any ideas about the DolbyTrueHD movies that are stuttering/skipping frames? Wow, one down, one to go!

Quick update: I took a look under the hood of my Harman Kardon AVR-2650 and, sure enough, HDMI processing had a bypass setting.
Once I set it to bypass, viola! There was 3D passthrough enabled and Gravity went from being a flat, lifeless (albeit crystal clear) picture
to a terrifying experience, full of all kinds of 3D depth goodness!
Just to be sure. So it is impossible to play 8gb 3d movie on himedia? Only iso images? Are the same restrictions with windows based boxes? For example new coming minix braswell or theirs older z64?
(2015-11-05, 13:34)Cob2 Wrote: Just to be sure. So it is impossible to play 8gb 3d movie on himedia? Only iso images? Are the same restrictions with windows based boxes? For example new coming minix braswell or theirs older z64?

Depends on the flavour of the 3D content. If it is H264 and HSBS then Intel boxes under both Linux and Windows with a reasonably recent CPU+GPU combo will play it fine. Chromebox would eat it for breakfast and give you HD audio bitstreaming as well if that is of interest.

If the 3D content is MVC - usually in an MKV or 3D Blu-ray ISO format - then you will either need to use a Raspberry Pi 2 or an Intel x86 box (at one point only Core i-series models would do 3D) AND a Windows Blu-ray player app (as Kodi only has native MVC support on the Raspberry Pi / Pi 2 at the moment) The Windows solution may not play MKV MVCs either.

There are Android boxes which also use external player apps for MVC decode (though they may appear as internal Kodi players due to skinning, or may be closed source GPL-violators who have grafted their own 3D code into Kodi but not released it...) - but I have no experience of them I'm afraid. I've yet to find a compelling reason to use Android for Kodi.
(2015-11-05, 13:34)Cob2 Wrote: Just to be sure. So it is impossible to play 8gb 3d movie on himedia? Only iso images? Are the same restrictions with windows based boxes? For example new coming minix braswell or theirs older z64?
himedia q5 can play FUll 3d MVC from iso( not from MKV ) and HSBS/HTDT from MKV.

(2015-11-05, 13:38)noggin Wrote: ...Intel x86 box (at one point only Core i-series models would do 3D) ...

i have try Intel Atom x5-Z8500 + Powerdvd with 3d ISO and work fine but without HD Audio .
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
Only thing with HiMedia Q5 with HSBS & HTAB movies is, once playback starts, you have to press 'Menu' and switch to the appropriate 3D mode. Q5 ignores any 3D tags in your movie filename.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Wow, so many crazy options and settings. I had no idea what I was getting myself into but I've finally figured this deal out.
My HiMedia Q5 DOES support Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA AND 3D MVC ISO's! The trick is figuring out how to get them
to all play nicely.

So, here goes. Here's what you'll need and how you'll have to use it to get your HiMedia Q5 4K3D running:

- HiMedia Q5 4K3D - The most recent European Quad Core version:

- Update It's Firmware to whatever the most recent version is as they usually provide great improvements

- Install the HiMedia Wrapper ( http://www.mediafire.com/download/73ydkv...rapper.apk. )
This allows the external HiMedia player to run the movies which gives you Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA as
well as 3D MVC ISO Support (Full 3D -- not htbab, sbs, etc.)

- DTS-MA encoded movies work fine as MKV's (haven't tested in ISOs but I'm sure they work there, too... feel free to test for yourself)

- Dolby TrueHD movies need to be in ISOs (I downloaded a free app called Aurora Bluray Copy as I'm on a Mac. It'll extract a bluray ISO)
Dolby True HD movies seem to jitter/stutter on the Q5 when you try to play them back from a MKV file

- In order for 3D ISO settings to work, your AVR (home theater receiver) has to pass through the HDMI signal
if you have any kind of processing on or, even, an 'auto' setting, the 3D WILL NOT WORK -- NO VIDEO PROCESSING
ONLY PASSTHROUGH!

- Now, for my Mac users, you'll notice that finding your Mac over the network with the Q5 will be a spectacular
pain in the butt. This was my issue, too. Long story short: SMBUP It's a free app that will allow you to share
your designated media drive(s) with your Q5 (and, I'm guessing, other HiMedia models).

Following the instructions at the link below, I was able to get my SMB up and running in no-time flat!
( http://www.tweaking4all.com/os-tips-and-...x-smb-fix/ )

- You'll need to adhere to file naming structure. Otherwise, those fancy skins (Aeon Mq6) with the bluray covers won't work,
and the 3d functions may not work either.

For example:

Moonraker (1979).bluray.mkv
San Andreas (2015).bluray.3d.iso
The Rock (1995).dvd.mkv

You can find more info on how Kodi works with file names here: ( http://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/Movies )

- Last but not least, the remote. I have two Logitech Harmony remotes (a harmony smart control with a hub and a 650. Both work with the
HiMedia box and Logitech's customer support suggests all their remotes do. I love my Harmony Smart control
( http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-C...B00BQ5RYI4 ) as it comes with an IR blaster
in addition to the ones built into the hub itself. Since I have a projector, it's weird to point the control off to the side of the room
instead of at the tv or where ever else I want. This lets me do that and it's compatible with everything. Seriously, one time,
I pointed it at my mother and hit mute -- worked..

Anyways, I hope this is helpful to others as I, myself, was up until recently a newbie at this and now I get it. Please feel
free to ask questions about the HiMedia Q5 and I'll help out however I can!
(2015-11-05, 17:12)efernandejr Wrote: - Dolby TrueHD movies need to be in ISOs (I downloaded a free app called Aurora Bluray Copy as I'm on a Mac. It'll extract a bluray ISO)
Dolby True HD movies seem to jitter/stutter on the Q5 when you try to play them back from a MKV file

Dolby TrueHD and ATMOS work without problem try this dolby_truehd_channel_check_lossless , not report wrong info.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
(2015-11-05, 17:24)looun Wrote:
(2015-11-05, 17:12)efernandejr Wrote: - Dolby TrueHD movies need to be in ISOs (I downloaded a free app called Aurora Bluray Copy as I'm on a Mac. It'll extract a bluray ISO)

Dolby TrueHD and ATMOS work without problem try this dolby_truehd_channel_check_lossless , not report wrong info.

They do, now, that I'm running my dolby truehd movies in iso containers. When I tried running them from the MKVs, the video was very slow and stuttery
unless I switched over to standard dolby 5.1. But once I brought in those same movies (with dolby truehd) in as iso's, they worked fine. I've spent the last
week working on this, non-stop. These are the results it's yielded for me. This is first-hand experience, not something I read on a forum. So, as my
experience with this is concerned, it is the correct info.
i watch lot of remux Dolby TrueHD without problem you wrong about something ,check your Aurora Bluray Copy or try different Software and this is not a Q5 thread you are off topic.
(2015-11-05, 17:31)looun Wrote: i watch lot of remux Dolby TrueHD without problem you wrong about something ,check your Aurora Bluray Copy or try different Software and this is not a Q5 thread you are off topic.

Well, I'll tell you what. I've spent a week on this and other forums trying to figure out how to get TrueHD (made with MakeMKV) work on my HiMedia Q5. BTW, these are uncompressed
MKVs and ISOs. If you can explain to me how to get a Dolby TrueHD MKV file to work on my system, I'll edit my post to show that I was wrong.

Also, the name of this post is 'Player Choices with Kodi + Full 3D + HD Audio' As the HiMedia Q5 is one of those options and as the point of this thread is to educate people on their
choices in this area, and as that is the whole point of my post -- to educate someone on how you can get the most out of one of these units, no it is not off topic.
In makemkv did you manually select the HD audio track, when ripping.
Sony KDL-46HX853 and Sony STR-DN1050
MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BX5 5.0 speaker package
SVS SB2000 Subwoofer
Nvidia shield TV running SPMC
Pi3 running LibreELEC
harmony touch remote control
26GB unRAID server
(2015-11-05, 22:54)Mylo75 Wrote: In makemkv did you manually select the HD audio track, when ripping.

I did. I believe it defaults to being unchecked, while the standard Dolby 5.1 track below it is selected.
It seems at raspberry is best option for me. But again there is a question where and what to buy. At amazon I have found some packages with sd cards. Is it worth to consider? What would you recommend?
(2015-11-05, 23:39)Cob2 Wrote: It seems at raspberry is best option for me. But again there is a question where and what to buy. At amazon I have found some packages with sd cards. Is it worth to consider? What would you recommend?

The reason I opted out of getting a RPi 2 is because of that very reason. It seemed a little beyond my realm of understanding to buy one of those
machines with so many variables. So I went with the Q5. Still requires intervention on my part but it was easier for me to figure out. I'd ask on
the RPi section of the Kodi forum. Reach out to people who have them and are more familiar with them. They might be able to give you a much
better answer on that than I can.
  • 81(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17