• 13(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
(2015-11-10, 13:14)noggin Wrote:
(2015-11-10, 13:08)wrxtasy Wrote: If that is the case, why even bother when AMLogic cannot output greater than 2.0 channels of PCM Audio ?

If you don't decode DTS to PCM 2.0 then you can't play content that has DTS audio on a normal TV that only accepts PCM 2.0 input? Base level HDMI audio compatibility is just PCM 2.0 - you can't assume any Dolby or DTS decode functionality.

If you want to legally sell a device that has DTS to PCM 2.0 decode, then my understanding is that it needs to have a DTS licence?
Cheers Noggin, thats a bit easier for all of us to understand Smile

(2015-11-10, 13:26)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-11-10, 13:14)noggin Wrote:
(2015-11-10, 13:08)wrxtasy Wrote: If that is the case, why even bother when AMLogic cannot output greater than 2.0 channels of PCM Audio ?

If you don't decode DTS to PCM 2.0 then you can't play content that has DTS audio on a normal TV that only accepts PCM 2.0 input? Base level HDMI audio compatibility is just PCM 2.0 - you can't assume any Dolby or DTS decode functionality.

If you want to legally sell a device that has DTS to PCM 2.0 decode, then my understanding is that it needs to have a DTS licence?
Cheers Noggin, thats a bit easier for all of us to understand Smile

It's the same reason you don't find DVDs with just DTS Audio sound tracks. There is always a PCM, DD 2.0 (or possibly in Europe an MP2 track) as well. This is because DVD players don't have to include DTS decoding as part of the mandated standard, but PCM, DD decoding to stereo and in Europe MP2 decoding to stereo IS mandated. So anyone mastering a DVD has to assume no DTS tracks can be played, so accompany them with a non-DTS track that is included in the mandated standards.

(MP2 never really took off as a DVD audio standard, and was only mandated in Europe ISTR - but was included because Europe wanted an alternative to the Dolby standard - particularly as it was likely DVD recorders would need to cope with DVB-T/S broadcasts at some point which would be MP2)
(2015-11-10, 13:08)wrxtasy Wrote: What is GMS ?

If that is the case, why even bother when AMLogic cannot output greater than 2.0 channels of PCM Audio ?

it's "Google Mobile Services", aka the certification for being legally safe when selling a device with Play Store "in a country where law exists" (cough cough) Wink
About that, I don't know, all that stuff comes as closed source precompiled .so files.

(2015-11-10, 13:14)noggin Wrote: If you want to legally sell a device that has DTS to PCM 2.0 decode, then my understanding is that it needs to have a DTS licence?

This.

BTW, with the 8726MX you could put an "hacked" .bin firmware file for both dd/dts that was doing pcm 2.0 decoding, starting with S8 Amlogic releases their SDK only with libs that support pass-through, and give the good libs only to companies that are licensed.
In fact if you try playing a dd/dts movie on, let's say, a MK808B+ using MX Player (or even stock Amlogic "4k player") you won't hear any audio unless you use pass-through
Thanks, all understood for native Android Apps needing a DTS licence to decode to PCM.
I've seen the MX player hacked file for DD/DTS to PCM support floating about somewhere too.

From what Noggin said, once we start Kodi however - open source software like ffmpeg starts decoding DTS to 2.0 PCM on AMLogic devices.
If you sold a device with no software included, like an S805 and run Kodi on it. No DTS licence would be needed.

(2015-11-10, 17:08)wrxtasy Wrote: Thanks, all understood for native Android Apps needing a DTS licence to decode to PCM.
I've seen the MX player hacked file for DD/DTS to PCM support floating about somewhere too.

From what Noggin said, once we start Kodi however - open source software like ffmpeg starts decoding DTS to 2.0 PCM on AMLogic devices.
If you sold a device with no software included, like an S805 and run Kodi on it. No DTS licence would be needed.

If it is bundled with Kodi then arguably the supplier should provide the licence. If you install Kodi yourself then you are responsible for ensuring you meet the legal requirements of the country you are in. Or choosing not to.
Exactly, it's like flashing a google apps package (and the very same reason why AOSP based roms come gapps free).
Any update on the release date? December 1st?
Can the wetek core play x265 1080p 10 bit?
Did you bother reading the first page at all, hmmmm ?
Quote:4K/2K/1080p - HEVC/H264 decoding (note 8bit only, so no hi10p decoding, 4K/2K limited to 24/30Hz. No HDMi 2.0)

On the first page....

The Power Off button on the remote, puts the device into a suspend mode.

....does that mean when in suspend mode the LAN port is still active...? The reason that I ask is that I use a wake function on my media server which holds all of our films and TV series. When that detects that the FireTV, via IP address, is on it will keep awake and thus stream media. BUT....

When I have finished using Kodi on the Fire TV and power it off it also goes into suspend mode but the LAN seems to keep active and thus the server does not sleep.I have to manually make sure that the power is disconnected each time we have finished using the Fire TV for the server to sleep, it is not good enough to just put the server to sleep based on LAN throughput so a media device which is either fully off or at least a LAN port which does truly sleep would be ideal.

I have noticed that lots of electrical devices have started to include an "off" button now which when used is truly off and not just in standby, trickling away power.

Does this.....

5.1 DTS and Dolby Passthrough (HDMI/SPDIF)

....also remain untested....? As it would be the SPDIF of those formats which would be of use to me.

Thanks
(2015-11-12, 03:29)pjcanales Wrote: Can the wetek core play x265 1080p 10 bit?

At the moment I think the only ARM-based player with 10 bit H265/HEVC hardware acceleration is the nVidia Shield. Some of the newer (Braswell?) chips may also have 10 bit HEVC support in hardware.

Like Hi10 H264, the alternative route is software, CPU-based, decoding. That will require a decent CPU - but doesn't require specific hardware support for the codec (just software support) However 1080p at a decent bitrate may require reasonable CPU power. (The Pi 2 can only software decode relatively modest HEVC stuff for example, as the Quad Core ARM CPU isn't fast enough. A faster Intel CPU will be much better in this regard)

However, at the moment there is only very limited support in Kodi for 10 bit content remaining 10 bit all the way through. fritsch may be able to comment more on the current situation but it was discussed here : http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=238728 (Of course for many people playing back 10 bit as 8 bit as fine, it is not being able to play 10 bit at all that is the limitation)
(2015-11-12, 13:11)Vimes Wrote: Does this.....

5.1 DTS and Dolby Passthrough (HDMI/SPDIF)
....also remain untested....? As it would be the SPDIF of those formats which would be of use to me.
Thanks
My little DD / DTS / S/PDIF test device I discovered last night is broken Sad
But the boys over at CNX Software tested 5.1 DD and DTS over S/PDIF successfully: Smile
http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/10/19/r...dia-player

I will have a look at the Ethernet Ports lights when I get home to see if the LAN is still active when in Standby. I've got a funny feeling it gets turned off if I remember correctly.

I wonder if some members truly realize why they want 10bit support in 1080p , or if they really have a true 4K with 10-bit panels, and true 10BIT encoding to take advantage of higher color gradation.

Is it to watch Bluray 1080p (8bit) ??
Even ATSC (Broadcast TV), DVB-S (most, not all satellite), cable, etc. use 8 bit, 4:2:0 (H.262, H.264 and SMPTE 421M).
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2015-11-12, 13:55)couto27 Wrote:

I wonder if some members truly realize why they want 10bit support in 1080p , or if they really have a true 4K with 10-bit panels, and true 10BIT encoding to take advantage of higher color gradation.

Is it to watch Bluray 1080p (8bit) ??
Even ATSC (Broadcast TV), DVB-S (most, not all satellite), cable, etc. use 8 bit, 4:2:0 (H.262, H.264 and SMPTE 421M).

I guess people are finding content that is 10 bit and want to play it... Where they get this content is another matter. It's the same as Hi10p support on H264. There was no content officially released in 10bit, it was fan recordings of 8bit content that was encoded as 10 bit and 'made available' via routes that shouldn't be discussed. There was an argument that 10bit encoding of 8bit content is more efficient and introduces fewer artefacts than using 8 bit codecs... I suspect this argument is being assumed true for 10 bit H265/HEVC also?

4K Blu-ray has 10bit support, and it is likely that some broadcast HEVC/H265 will be 10bit as well I suspect. Rec 2020 and HDR may also become issues. But they aren't yet - and the rule of Kodi is buy for the now, not the future, because the future will be cheaper when it arrives... (Buy cheaper and often...)

I guess there are two issues :

1. Playing 10 bit content even though you may only see it in 8 bit.
2. Playing 10 bit content AND seeing it in 10 bit.

Suspect most people just want 1...
When the device is in standby network is not operative.
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4