• 12(current)
Input
(2015-11-27, 23:44)natethomas Wrote: You have to map your buttons to the Default AND to the console you're emulating. So if you are trying to play an NES game, you need to map default and NES. Actually, if you don't care if your controller controls Kodi, you don't even need to map default.

if that is the case then wouldn't it make more sense to call it kodi rather than default? i feel like default implies if you don't specifically map a console the default will be used as well as is possible. i'm only just beginning to explore retroplayer so feel free to chastise if this is a dumb opinion Tongue
(2015-11-28, 00:09)natethomas Wrote: Gonna need a debug log then, I'd guess. It's an unusual thing to be able to map the buttons to the controller correctly and then not use the controller.

http://xbmclogs.com/p3ji4hwle

You can see where I opened an NES rom, then mashed buttons for a while. So the log is seeing that I'm hitting the buttons, but for some reason, that isn't being sent to the game. Weird.
(2015-11-28, 01:00)furii Wrote: if that is the case then wouldn't it make more sense to call it kodi rather than default? i feel like default implies if you don't specifically map a console the default will be used as well as is possible. i'm only just beginning to explore retroplayer so feel free to chastise if this is a dumb opinion Tongue

Your opinions are welcome here. Kodi is a sensible label, more so than "default". "default" is from the way emulators get input from Kodi. An emulator can ask for input in the form of an available game controller add-on, and it "defaults" to a Xbox 360 controller if the add-on isn't installed.

I didn't have a name for "controller that controls Kodi and emulators that want 360 input or are missing the controller add-on they require", so "default" it became. I'm open to suggestions.

I think the real solution is to fix the problem - using the default as well as possible.

This is a difficult problem because "as well as possible" is hard to compute with limited data. Kodi receives very little information from the various joystick drivers we use. Basically we know the USB ID, the number of buttons and axes. Not a lot to work with.

Fortunately, with enough data, we can start generalizing to unseen events. For example, if your friend plugs in a controller with an unknown USB ID, but the number of buttons and axes matches a controller already in the database, it's pretty likely that the mapping from 360 to NES will be the same too.

And good news - there's already some data out there! The SDL GameControllerDB has mappings for almost every controller to the 360 profile. Also, the xpad kernel driver Has some useful joystick name to USB vendor ID / product ID mappings.

We're dropping SDL support, so the GameControllerDB's use is limited, but a powerful enough generalizer might still be able to make use of the data.
(2015-11-28, 04:55)Atarian Wrote:
(2015-11-28, 00:09)natethomas Wrote: Gonna need a debug log then, I'd guess. It's an unusual thing to be able to map the buttons to the controller correctly and then not use the controller.

http://xbmclogs.com/p3ji4hwle

You can see where I opened an NES rom, then mashed buttons for a while. So the log is seeing that I'm hitting the buttons, but for some reason, that isn't being sent to the game. Weird.

Atarian, can you try to triage the issue? Does the keyboard work? Does this happen for other platforms like SNES? Do other NES roms work? Do other NES emulators (QuickNES, FCEUmm, or bNES) work? Does the 2048 game add-on work? Do you have other controllers you can try?
(2015-11-28, 06:09)garbear Wrote: Atarian, can you try to triage the issue? Does the keyboard work? Does this happen for other platforms like SNES? Do other NES roms work? Do other NES emulators (QuickNES, FCEUmm, or bNES) work? Does the 2048 game add-on work? Do you have other controllers you can try?

I went out and bought a SNES controller today (can't find mine) to try with the Bliss-Box, same issue. The buttons bind fine, but presses don't register in game. I also tried a retrolink usb NES controller. Same exact issue. This is really weird. Tried multiple roms, each in the different available emulators. The log reads just like my previous one where the button presses are being sent, but they arent controlling the game. Also tried a wireless xbox 360 controller with the same result. Should I try reinstalling openelec from scratch? I know that's drastic, but I really want to play!
______

edit: just gonna reinstall openelec and test that out.
______

double edit: after a complete format and reinstall of openelec, the problem is still there.
Just had a guess. I wonder if for some reason your controller is being recognized as player 2. So the game is seeing it, but ignoring it.
(2015-11-29, 04:06)natethomas Wrote: Just had a guess. I wonder if for some reason your controller is being recognized as player 2. So the game is seeing it, but ignoring it.

Haha, chalk this one up to me being a dope. I could have sworn I tried all the ports on the bliss-box during my frustrated testing, but I guess I didn't test well enough. I'm gonna blame it on the mess of wires, lol. All is working well now. I'm able to swap out my controllers to suit my different emulator needs and everything.

Now I can look into mapping a second player, right now, if I have two NES controllers connected, the second doesn't work right, only the B button seems to work, and it makes the player walk for some reason.

Thanks again for all the help, and sorry I wasted your time!
(2015-11-28, 05:19)garbear Wrote: We're dropping SDL support, so the GameControllerDB's use is limited, but a powerful enough generalizer might still be able to make use of the data.

Retroarch also maintains a set of mapping information to the retropad layout at https://github.com/libretro/retroarch-joypad-autoconfig for the various platform interfaces which might be useful.
@OmniBlade thanks for the retropad database. With that and the SDL controller db I linked to above, we should have enough data we need to do zero-configuration out of the box on all the platforms we support

One cool thing about the retropad db is that it has labels for controller buttons. It would be cool to make use of this data in our configuration utility's GUI
Controller configuration window version 2 is included in the new builds

The code is just about finished. I wrote the controller window in a simpler skin, so what you see above is my 20 minute effort to contort the skin to confluence Smile A PR is waiting to be submitted to master pending these skin improvements.

One more thing - start sending me button maps! with enough data, we can start generalizing to controllers we've never seen before, achieving the ultimate zero-configuration bliss Smile

Example: Gamepad_F310_v1133_p1133_15b_6a.xml
Is there a guide somewhere to creating these button maps?
Is it possible to get some letters inside of the picture, so someone can simply figure out, where the "X" button should be?

f.e. something like this:

http://www.goldenshop.com/ai/images/prod...satjoy.jpg
I personally like the clean, modern look. All the arrows and labels make the appearance really cluttered and make it look terrible IMHO.
P.S: a guide on how to create these button mappings would be really appreciated, I would like to contribute if I would know how
(2015-12-17, 16:59)merlink Wrote: Is it possible to get some letters inside of the picture, so someone can simply figure out, where the "X" button should be?

f.e. something like this:

http://www.goldenshop.com/ai/images/prod...satjoy.jpg

I'd like way for people to figure out where the "X" button is. I came up with four answers, in order of easiest to hardest:

1. As you focus on different features, darken the image around that feature
  2. As you focus on different features, blur the image around the feature
  3. When you press the button corresponding to the feature, render an activated button
  4. this

I think #3 would be best, because then you could see what the current mapping is for the controller without any excess GUI elements.

I think #4 would be coolest, but the feature labels are dynamic (they can scroll) so the lines would have to be dynamically generated, possibly using my #4 solution.

Do you see a better solution for adding the lines to the image?
(2015-12-17, 12:08)zag Wrote: Is there a guide somewhere to creating these button maps?

Done. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252465
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Input3