DTS passthrough issue with internal Kodi player on Nvidia Shield TV
Hello,

I recently bought a Nvidia Shield TV and installed Kodi 15.2 Insengard on it.

I have problem to play with Kodi internal player video files with DTS audio (not DTS HD). In the audio configuration I enabled passtrough and indicated that my receiver accept Dobly Digital and DTS. Videos files with Dolby Digital are working fine. But when I play DTS files, I have no sound on my receiver. When I disable in audio configuration the DTS receiver capable I have sound with only two channels.

I don't have the same problem with other players in the Nvidia Shield TV. And it was working with my old WD TV Live in the same audio configuration.

Does anybody have already encountered this problem?

Thanks,

Thomas
Which receiver is it?

Are you connected directly to the receiver or is the Shield connected to the TV and you use the optical out to the amp?

Please show us a Debug Log
It's Sony STR-K740 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS AV Receiver. The Shield is connected to the TV (LG 49UB850 UHD 3D) and I use the optical out to the amp. I'm not at home right now, I will provide a debug log later.
(2015-12-09, 13:13)thomas69000 Wrote: It's Sony STR-K740 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS AV Receiver. The Shield is connected to the TV (LG 49UB850 UHD 3D) and I use the optical out to the amp. I'm not at home right now, I will provide a debug log later.

Why not use HDMI to the amp?
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
(2015-12-09, 13:51)danjames92 Wrote:
(2015-12-09, 13:13)thomas69000 Wrote: It's Sony STR-K740 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS AV Receiver. The Shield is connected to the TV (LG 49UB850 UHD 3D) and I use the optical out to the amp. I'm not at home right now, I will provide a debug log later.

Why not use HDMI to the amp?

Because it doesn't have HDMI, it only has optical in (Google image is your friend).

OP, make sure when you have DTS passthrough selected that you also set it to 2 channels.
Please be aware, that not any TV is capable of passthrough DTS to external devices....

See here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=250446

This thread is very similar.

DTS support and DTS passthrough are completely different stories and need different licenses. Your TV might play back DTS files, But that won't mean it is capable to bitstream DTS to an amp/AVR.

So I would suggest to try this:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2177145

select AC3 transcoding, disable DTS capable receiver and set Kodi speakerlayout to 2.0
OP said they have it working on other devices, apparently it is the US model that has the issue due to license etc...
There is a work around for that too according to google results.
Thanks David for your answers. My LG TV 49UB850 is similar to the one of the person in the thread you suggest. I think my TV is also able to passthrough DTS to external devices otherwise I won't be able to play videos files in DTS with the android player from Nvidia Shield TV. No ?

Furthermore, with same audio configuration (Box HDMI -> TV HDMI -> TV optical -> Sony receiver optical ) I'm able to have DTS on my receiver using my old WD TV Live.

If I understand correctly the problem of the thread you suggest it seems that the problem is related to the behavior of pass-through DTS stream coming from Kodi with the internal player (dvdplayer) ?

Maybe a solution is to use an external player in Kodi as describe in this tuto: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Use_externa...on_Android.

I will try as soon as possible the alternative proposed to have at minimum Dolby Digital sound instead of DTS. And I will extract debug logs from Kodi when playing video file with DTS audio.

Thanks
Hiphopopotamus what do you mean by OP ? What model and work around are you speaking about ?
OP = The person who started the thread

If that´s really the case, and everything works fine with the WD TV and you see DTS in your Receiver (and not something like "Multichannel" or anything related) and as you are the second person who encountered this issue, I would

1. join the other thread, and report your issue there, too

2. maybe open a proper bug report at trac.kodi.tv with all the logfiles which are needed

Normally, and that is how I understand "passthrough", the signal shouldn´t be touched in any way. So it should be the same, either if it comes from your WD or from a Kodi device on whatever platform. Passthrough means to me as untouched signal from one device to another. So if your amp really shows "DTS" on its display it should show it as well as for a Kodi device.

Maybe a dev could get some light in this.

Greetings
Just wanted to add to this that I'm also having problems playing Dolby/DTS via Kodi on an Nvidia ShieldTV.

Have been using 15.2 and if enabled, audio passthrough produces nothing but very loud static noise on my receiver (Denon AVR-X2200W) but does work fine with the Netflix app.

I've tried a mix of files covering regular Dolby, DTS, DTS:MA, and Dolby Atmos. All supported by the receiver but just not able to get the stream out of Kodi. If I run Netflix, the AVR auto switches to 'Dolby Surround' but when playing anything via Kodi it shows "Multi in" (PCM) at the menus and then either stays at that or swaps to "Stereo" when playing any Dolby/DTS file.

I've also tried installing the latest Jarvis nightly (as of yesterday) and there's still no improvement. I can enable the settings for software decoding and that will send a multi channel PCM to the receiver but if passthrough is enabled then it's still only static I get.

Is this something I'll just have to wait for it to be fixed by the devs or if anyone has any suggestions for anything else I can try to get it working it would be much appreciated.
1. Don´t hijack others threads. For several reasons it´s always better to have your own thread for your own problem. Think about multiple threads with the same problem...they will be noticed more Wink

2. AFAIK the shield isn´t capable of bitstreaming DTS-HD and/or DolbyTrue HD. Only the core (DTS and DolbyDigital)

3. If netflix will get you DolbySurround on your amp, then it´s neither DoblyDigital nor DTS. Multichannel means, the signal is PCM and passthrough is disabled.

So I would suggest to enable passthrough for DTS and DolbyDigital capable receiiver in your audio settings and disable "DTS-HDMA capable receiver" as well as disable "DolbyTrue HD capapble receiver".

To my 2nd point...the shield itself is capable off, but AFAIK Kodi on Android isn´t capable of bitstreaming HD-Audio formats at this point. IIRC they are working on it.

See here:

http://kodi.wiki/view/NVIDIA_SHIELD_TV#Known_issues

Quote:HD audio, DTS-HD MA, Dolby True HD can be passed through (bitstreamed), but currently only works with the native video player. Pass-through for HD audio is currently not working in Kodi and is a WIP
Hi David

Thanks for responding, apologies re #1, I'm used to forums where it's frowned upon for starting multiple threads on same topic.

I guess that confirms my thoughts then that it's currently nothing I can fix and I'll just have to wait for later versions of Kodi and settle for PCM for now.

Cheers!
Hi David,

I didn't have enough time this morning to collect debug logs. I will do it tonight. But I have done some tests to confirm the behavior I have.

So I confirm when I use the google video player in my Nvidia Shield TV or my WD TV, my receiver shows a DTS signal.

I have tested the configuration proposed (select AC3 transcoding, disable DTS capable receiver and set Kodi speakerlayout to 2.0) and it works. The audio goes to Dolby Digital in my receiver.

To respond at previous post of Hiphopopotamus, when I was testing DTS passthrough I had selected 2 channels in the Kodi audio configuration.

Thanks
Please find bellow a link to see my debug log from kodi. At 22:52 I start the DTS video (Passthrough activated and DTS capable receiver enable). And at 22:58 I start the same video but with DTS capable receiver disable.

http://xbmclogs.com/prsbowhlv

Do you see something abnormal in the log ?

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS passthrough issue with internal Kodi player on Nvidia Shield TV0