What are my options?
Perhaps this isn't worth the money and/or effort, but I want to explore my options. I rarely use my DirecTV service to record programs. It is almost exclusively used for live TV only. All of my equipment is fed through my AVR and I use a Logitech Harmony remote to choose among various "activities." My ideal scenario would be the ability to watch and change live DirecTV provided channels through Kodi. My initial thoughts are to pick up one of the Hauppauge products (either internal or external) and use that to connect my DirecTV DVR to my Windows based HTPC...and then utilize NextPVR within Kodi.

Is this possible? Is there a better way to go about it? I would just love to route all of my entertainment via the HTPC.

DirecTV HD-DVR -> HTPC -> AVR -> TV. Thank you!
Unfortunately as far as I know DirectTV is a closed service system so you have little to no choice but to use their equipment.
Well, I will still be using their equipment.

DirecTV HD-DVR -> HTPC w/ Hauppauge internal or external device -> AVR -> TV
Well, I know absolutely nothing about DirectTV. But, whatever it is, unless it can pass a signal to your htpc in a format that nPVR can deal with, it just won't work. Not only that, nPVR would have to pass or transcode that signal to Kodi in a format that Kodi can deal with. Kodi, I'm reasonably sure, does not touch proprietary/encrypted streams.

From Wikipedia:

All programming distributed by DirecTV is delivered to its broadcast centers in Castle Rock, Colorado, and Los Angeles, where it is then digitized and compressed. The resulting signal is encrypted by DirecTV to prevent its unauthorized reception.
(2015-12-13, 00:56)Hoosier205 Wrote: Well, I will still be using their equipment.

Yep, sure you can do this, and you can even get high def from the DirecTV set top box. You can use a tuner like a Hauppauge HDPVR / HDPVR2 / Colossus / Colossus2 / Rocket / HDPVR60.
Yes, easily achievable. I use Dish Network instead of DirecTV, but nothing should change that I'm aware of. Dish Network to Hauppauge Colossus to Yamaha AVR to living room TV (with some other things going on within the HTPC such as NextPVR and Kodi). I'd recommend you to use component for the video capture to take advantage of the "analog loophole" though. As far as my setup goes, premium channels will not work via HDMI capture (HBO, Showtime, etc.), but analog capture via component works just fine, and has for me for years. Capture the audio via optical of course.
(2015-12-14, 20:44)TRiddle Wrote: Yes, easily achievable. I use Dish Network instead of DirecTV, but nothing should change that I'm aware of. Dish Network to Hauppauge Colossus to Yamaha AVR to living room TV (with some other things going on within the HTPC such as NextPVR and Kodi). I'd recommend you to use component for the video capture to take advantage of the "analog loophole" though. As far as my setup goes, premium channels will not work via HDMI capture (HBO, Showtime, etc.), but analog capture via component works just fine, and has for me for years. Capture the audio via optical of course.

Thank you. I was thinking of using an HDMI splitter capable of removing/tricking the HDCP.
(2015-12-13, 19:44)sub3 Wrote:
(2015-12-13, 00:56)Hoosier205 Wrote: Well, I will still be using their equipment.

Yep, sure you can do this, and you can even get high def from the DirecTV set top box. You can use a tuner like a Hauppauge HDPVR / HDPVR2 / Colossus / Colossus2 / Rocket / HDPVR60.

Thank you
(2015-12-14, 21:45)Hoosier205 Wrote:
(2015-12-14, 20:44)TRiddle Wrote: Yes, easily achievable. I use Dish Network instead of DirecTV, but nothing should change that I'm aware of. Dish Network to Hauppauge Colossus to Yamaha AVR to living room TV (with some other things going on within the HTPC such as NextPVR and Kodi). I'd recommend you to use component for the video capture to take advantage of the "analog loophole" though. As far as my setup goes, premium channels will not work via HDMI capture (HBO, Showtime, etc.), but analog capture via component works just fine, and has for me for years. Capture the audio via optical of course.

Thank you. I was thinking of using an HDMI splitter capable of removing/tricking the HDCP.
Yep, you can use on of those splitters that remove HDCP.

NextPVR also manages to side-step HDCP on the Hauppauge Rocket and Hauppauge HDPVR60 devices, letting you record HDCP content without worrying about splitters etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What are my options?0