• 40(current)
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)
(2015-12-13, 14:23)Pillendreher Wrote: Nothing, but this is the Wetek Core thread, so why not ask this question here?

Because this is a Kodi forum and not a WETEK one. Your question has absolutely nothing to do with Kodi
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Neither do multiple posts in this thread, yet they all relate to the device per se, like my question does. But alright, I'll ask over at the Wetek forum...
This device is designed only as a media player and OTT. So still waiting for new Wetek with top hardware and dvb support Smile
I think the question of returns is a valid one as surely this thread is to point out the advantages and disadvantages of obtaining a week core. And there are many posts from programmers here highlighting options like Netflix HD which is even in the thread title and also has nothing to do with kodi. .

I would recommend ordering when it's on amazon with their excellent customer service unlike wetek where I'm now waiting three days to get back to me.

Do idetect a closing of ranks over vested interests?
There's no issue with wetek returns, they were very helpful when I had to send a play back (sent replacement in advance).

Have a look on their forums, as suggested, you will see numerous good examples of support and warranty replacements.

Let's not attack wetek for the sake of it, they are a Kodi and openelec sponsor, not some freeloader selling boxes with dodgy addons.
Hi tredman - there was no mention of "fully loaded" box sellers never mind comparisons. In fact I suggested buying it from amazon that is all.

Just disappointed in lack of firmware support in terms of a basic stock image, locked not open firmware, international end user panid returns.

So far not good and all i wished on this thread to make people aware of downside of buying and supporting kodi on that box if that's their choice.

But perhaps these are early problems for wetek which is why I'm waiting for a response for them since launch.
(2015-12-13, 18:44)tredman Wrote: There's no issue with wetek returns, they were very helpful when I had to send a play back (sent replacement in advance).

Have a look on their forums, as suggested, you will see numerous good examples of support and warranty replacements.

Let's not attack wetek for the sake of it, they are a Kodi and openelec sponsor, not some freeloader selling boxes with dodgy addons.

I'll look over there and won't derail this thread any further. It's always a good sign if a box manufacturer is supportive online and tries to help people.

Oh and I have an on-topic question (Big Grin): Some of you guys made a big deal out of pointing out that the Core can run 24p smoothly. I've been using my laptop to run Kodi for the last few years now and I haven't detected any problems with bluray rips. And I haven't seen my TV switch to 24p like he does while playing a BD with my PS3.
Is this because "adjust display refresh rate" is off in Kodi? And if that's the case, shouldn't I see problems with BD rips?
yes you have to turn it on and set your tv to cinema mode and enable, if there is, the option for detecting 24p sources
OK, I'll try it with my laptop. What happens I don't activate it and I play a file with a different fps? Does Kodi "upscale the fps"?
Rather than duplicating my post here I thought I'd post a link to what I found about cinema mode and 24p on the wetek forum. http://wetekforums.com/vb5/forum/wetek-c...ate-issues
(2015-12-13, 23:41)Pillendreher Wrote: OK, I'll try it with my laptop. What happens I don't activate it and I play a file with a different fps? Does Kodi "upscale the fps"?

Kodi will try to switch to the matching refresh rate, if supported, on your laptop I think only 50 and 60 hz will be supported, I have seen any with 24hz
@ Pillendreher > what you are talking about on PC's / laptops is in Kodi:

Settings > System > Videos > Playback > Sync playback to display

If you feed 23.976fps video out to a display that does not have some sort of Cinema Drive or 24p movie mode but just plain standard 24Hz only, like a PC Monitor for example. Kodi can speed up that 23.976fps video to 24fps and output that so its all in sync.
Now there is also an added complication as the corresponding 23.976 audio also has to be resampled and sped up to 24Hz as well. This happens in the background in Kodi. You may detect it as audio will be heard with a higher pitch.

High Bitrate Blurays with high quality Audio needs CPU processing power to achieve 24fps Video and Audio output to a 24Hz only capable Display and all be nicely in sync. Some device are terrible and too underpowered to do this well. Or they lack the necessary Video Reference clock to achieve this. Like the Vero / CuBox / Solidrun iMX6 devices as an example.

This is why on low powered ARM devices feeding 23.976fps video output at 23.976fps to a compatible 24p TV is definitely preferred as only minimal processing is needed. HDMI video timing clocks are adjusted by the Kernel code in the media players Firmware (Frame Rate Automation is the name for it with AMLogic), and all the Motion Smoothing for silky smooth video playback is handled by the TV's far superior electronics when it uses it 24p Cinema mode Smile

To note here is that Sync playback to display does not work in Android. Nor do you get 23.976fps video output from devices like Macs running OSX, Amazon Fire TVs/Stick , Rockchip, Google Nexus and pre Intel Haswell gear. Usually these display 23.976fps video at 60Hz and use a 3:2 pulldown technique to display that video which then produces video judder that some people are sensitive too and hate. Sad

Are you guys happy with the included remote? Does it have a solid feel to it? Laggy or snappy response?
Its a quality remote. Curved and fits nicely in the curve of the palm.
Button presses are nice and responsive due to the short clicker type arrangement used.
And being RF Wireless, response is instantaneous. Air Mouse precision is accurate.
It has IR too, but that is only used to put the Core into ultra low power standby mode.

There has actually been some design care by WeTek go into this remote. It does not look or feel cheap.

Downsides, and this applies to any AirMouse remote, is it can be confusing for Newbies to get used to and wrap their head around. Also some minor remapping of buttons in Kodi (to program stop for instance) is really needed using the Kodi Keymap Editor Add-on. This is easily done.
A BT Keyboard is really needed for serious text input.

OK, so I'm thinking about going with this but I have a few questions.

1. (I googled for this forever and couldn't find anything on it) What is the difference between the Play and the Core?
2. With the Core, how can I hook up an antenna for OTA channels since this one doesn't have the built in adapters?
3. Can OPENELEC run android play store and android apps?

Thanks everyone!
  • 40(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WeTek Core (24p HD Netflix / HD Audio / Lollipop / OpenELEC / 4K / HEVC)4