• 115(current)
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio
(2015-12-15, 08:49)Koying Wrote:
(2015-12-15, 03:58)wesk05 Wrote: I would like to know why you say MVC is logically different to frame packing.
Well, as already said, mvc is an encoding method, frame packing is a rendering method.
AML supports mvc decoding in half top-bottom, so is a middle ground between nothing and mvc+framepacking.
So are then any benefits to playing back HOU/HSBS encoded video files in Kodi via the normal 3D playback method as opposed to AML MVC decoding and playback or will the end user see the exact same video output resolution ?
(assuming both bitrates are the same)

Exactly the same
(2015-12-15, 08:49)Koying Wrote:
(2015-12-15, 03:58)wesk05 Wrote: I would like to know why you say MVC is logically different to frame packing.

Well, as already said, mvc is an encoding method, frame packing is a rendering method.
AML supports mvc decoding in half top-bottom, so is a middle ground between nothing and mvc+framepacking.
That still doesn't explain why they are logically different. May be the word logic was used here in a very loose sense than what it applies to deduction and induction. I am referring to semantics here.

Well... if Amlogic only supports decoding to top/bottom, I guess it kills the joy outright.
So assuming someone is ripping their Blurays to a NAS and storing as ISO's, the only advantage you are going to get is full Bluray Menu's if the media player supports them, along with the AML MVC decoding and HOU video output.

Otherwise software like DVDFab, Rips and converts to the usual 3D SBS/HOU/HSBS format in one hit anyway.

Not a lot of 3D advantages to this new AMLogic MVC decoding method there that I can see.
Have I missed anything, and yes Wes a joy killer all right !

With that being the case I retract my previous statement as Tronsmart are correctly advertising 3D MKV, 3D BDMV + 3D ISO Playback correctly. Its the damn confusion and difficulty wrapping ones consumer head around all the different terms and video outputs that confuses the hell out of people (like me).
I'm sure Media companies know this and market products accordingly.

Minix XBMC 15.3b2 decodes 3D ISO and renders it in some messed up side by side format. 3D MVC MKV is output as top/bottom. VidOn only plays 2D from 3D MVC MKV and 3D BDMV.
So moral of the story is don't be an early adopter if 3D is important and still don't trust VidOn or Tronsmarts marketing !

(2015-12-15, 10:24)wrxtasy Wrote: So moral of the story is don't be an early adopter if 3D is important and still don't trust VidOn or Tronsmarts marketing !

Tronsmart could be using a different VidOn XBMC version than what I have. So, I think they are still in the play. Otherwise, all hopes are now on the SHIELD!

One thing I can say, don't trust Tronsmart marketing. Just look at the comparison pictures they are using for 8-bit and 10-bit output.
Kodi 17.0 / Obi-Wan Kenobi your our only hope ! Wink

(2015-12-15, 10:34)wrxtasy Wrote: Kodi 17.0 / Obi-Wan Kenobi your our only hope ! Wink
RoflRofl
(2015-12-15, 09:35)Koying Wrote: Exactly the same
Too bad; was hoping for full 1080p to each eye w/Minix, WeTek Core, etc. So, we're back to square one if we want full frame-packing output... RPi2 w/internal player or HiMedia Q5 w/external player.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-12-15, 10:38)wesk05 Wrote:
(2015-12-15, 10:34)wrxtasy Wrote: Kodi 17.0 / Obi-Wan Kenobi your our only hope ! Wink
RoflRofl

i'm sorry... but i can't resist posting
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2015-12-15, 09:07)wrxtasy Wrote: So are then any benefits to playing back HOU/HSBS encoded video files in Kodi via the normal 3D playback method as opposed to AML MVC decoding and playback or will the end user see the exact same video output resolution ?
(assuming both bitrates are the same)

MVC is the original BluRay format, any re-encoding will reduce quality (even if the bitrate used is the same or higher).
So any playback of HOU/HSBS will be lower quality than the playback of MVC, even if the output is only HOE/HSBS.

Whether the difference in quality of an untouched vs a re-encoded file matters to you is a different question.
So what type of 3D does the S905 Amlogic capable off?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
If I'm understanding Koying correctly, half-rez or same as SBS or TAB. Your PJ may show "frame-packing" I'm guessing, but output is really half-rez.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
So the S905 is not capable of Full Frame packing (2205X1920), wasn't the Minix S812H with VidOn XBMC capable of displaying FULL FramePacking?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
  • 115(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Media Player Options with 3D MVC & HD Audio17