Short audio gap after skipping in 15.1
Hi

I recently upgraded from 14.2 to 15.1 on both Android and Windows clients and am noticing a very short (500ms) audio gap after skipping forward or back any amount.

Anyone else noticed this?
Yep, same with resuming after a pause. The exact gap seems to change with different hardware (or maybe platforms), so sometimes it's not always noticeable, but sometimes is.
Thanks for the quick reply, just noticed myself it was still an open issue:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Common_issues

"v15 - For some users audio will take a moment (normally less than a second, but sometimes more) to resume when video is unpaused"

Is this being worked on or is it just the way it's going to be now in 15.x?

Delay is pretty much the same on Android (Minix X8H+) and Windows.

It's quite noticeable (to me at least) after coming from 14.2 when skipping was so crisp.
Yea, I noticed starting with the first 15 betas. The delay when resuming from pause is what first got my attention. I swear it is slightly out of sync too, so I have just staying with 14.2. I tried 2 different computers running windows 7.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229714
I'm crossing my fingers it somehow gets fixed in 15.2 but looking at the change log I don't think it's going to happen. Reading your linked thread, Fritsch seems to imply that this behaviour is due to new audio sync implementation and is as expected.

I'm sticking on 14.2 for now too (for some reason this audio delay really bugs me) which is a shame as I'm really digging the new Aeon MQ6 skin which is only supported in 15.x going forward Sad
I have improved this: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=237842
Oh great, thanks FernetMenta.

I'm running Windows and Android clients, from the linked post it seems that this fix is currently only available for Linux, OS X and Rasberry Pi so I'm not able to test at the moment.

When will this change be implemented in Windows and Android? Will it make 15.2?
(2015-09-13, 21:26)candyman2000 Wrote: When will this change be implemented in Windows and Android? Will it make 15.2?

Depends on when platform devs have time to adapt. Certainly no 15.x material.
Hi, this is my first post here.

I'm using KODI to play ISO and MKV files ripped from my music DVDs. Some MKV files are MPEG-2 AC3 or AAC, other MKV files are H.264 AAC.

When I skip to previous or to next embedded chapter, or when I pause and then resume playing, or when I start a new file from the beginning (00h:00m:00.000s), there's an audio gap of around 0.5 to 1 second before the audio starts to play (the video starts to play with no audio).

This happens with AAC and AC3 audio codecs, I didn't test with other codecs so I can not say for sure.

No matter what hardware and KODI version I use: this happens using KODI v15.2 and v16.0 beta 4 for Mac OS X on my Mac Mini (Late 2012), and also using KODI v15.2 on my brand new Nvidia Shield Android TV (2015 model year). If I remember well, this was on KODI v15.0 too. I can not say about older KODI versions because I only started using KODI few months ago.

I must say that this also happens on my Sony BDP-S6200 when playing MKV files, so this is not only a KODI issue.

This is very annoying when playing music video files. Maybe when playing movie video files this is not very important because movies are usually played from beginning to end with no chapter skipping.

Did anyone send a bug report to KODi team?
what about post #6 is unclear to you?
(2015-12-16, 18:54) Wrote: what about post #6 is unclear to you?

"reduce time required for audio sync"

Hi FernetMenta,

Excuse me, but what I posted has nothing to do with "audio sync".

The audio, before it starts to play (so when there's only video with no audio), it's not out of sync simply because there's no audio (the audio doesn't even exist).

And after the audio starts to play, it's not out of sync.

So I didn't understand your post.

Best regards, errr.
The audio gap is created by Kodi making sure the audio is in sync. Fernet's changes for v16 EDIT:the future improve this and shorten the time it takes for Kodi to figure out the sync. So even if you don't have a "sync" issue, that is why there is a gap.
(2015-12-17, 01:44)Ned Scott Wrote: The audio gap is created by Kodi making sure the audio is in sync. Fernet's changes for v16 improve this and shorten the time it takes for Kodi to figure out the sync. So even if you don't have a "sync" issue, that is why there is a gap.

Hi,

I tested KODI v16.0 beta 4 for Mac OS X today on my Mac Mini and the gap is the same (0.5 to 1 second) as was on v15.2.

And I think the gap should not be "shortened", I think the gap should be totally eliminated, there's absolutely no reason for it.

The problem in my opinion is that KODI wants to (re)start playing just right after the user clicks on the Play button, the video stream seems to start playing immediately but the audio stream seems to take more time, so there's a 0.5 to 1 second playing only video with no audio. Why such hurry to (re)start playing? Maybe KODI could "learn" to be more patient, less anxious, and wait until both video and audio streams are ready to be played together, and only then (re)start playing.

Best regards, errr.
Sorry, his work has not been merged for v16.

The point still stands: he has explained why there is a gap, and he is working on fixing it. There's no "hurry" to start playback. That's not how it works. The current behavior is frustrating, I know, but it was done for good reason. It was done to fix other major issues, and make things maintainable for the future. Sometimes that causes bumps in other areas, but those bumps will eventually be fixed.
(2015-12-17, 02:19)errr Wrote: Maybe KODI could "learn" to be more patient, less anxious, and wait until both video and audio streams are ready to be played together, and only then (re)start playing.

It learned a lot Smile https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8486
That's more than 10000 lines of code diff to Jarvis (incorrectly indicated by GIthub due to renaming)

Actually it does almost what you put in words. It sends data to audio and video players and waits for response. Both players signal back current timestamp when they have filled their buffers. VideoPlayer takes this info, sets the clock, and finally starts the stream players.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Short audio gap after skipping in 15.10